What's new

3D Put THE MASK on now! (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Is the 3D Film Archive going to do an article on The Mask? I'd love to hear more about how the Blu-ray was produced. Even though it was one of the very few anaglyphic 3D releases, the 3D sequences were actually shot in dual-strip, correct? And is the Blu-ray sourced from dual-strip? Also Kino's press release states that the 3D sequences have 5.1 sound. I'd love to know what this was sourced from.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Mark, we won't be doing an article but MASK historian Jason Pichonsky will be doing a commentary track.

However, to answer some of your questions:

The 3-D sequences were shot in 35mm dual-strip with the same camera rig used on THE DIAMOND WIZARD. The stereo photography is outstanding.

Yes, the dual-strip elements were used to restore and create a new fully-aligned 3-D master.

When he can get away from GOG for a few moments, I've asked Greg to answer your question about the audio.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Thanks for the info about the glasses being on throughout!

I'm also wondering about brightness management on the TV, with the back-and-forth between non-glasses and glasses watching.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Thanks, Bob. I'm looking forward to listening to the commentary as I'm sure there will be valuable information there.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Charles Smith said:
Thanks for the info about the glasses being on throughout!

I'm also wondering about brightness management on the TV, with the back-and-forth between non-glasses and glasses watching.

I am curious too.

If the 3D is always "on", would it not be better to keep the 3d glasses on during the 2D segments as well? Has the disc had some special compensation done to it so that when my projector goes into "3D overdrive", thus boosting the overall brightness somewhat, the 2D segments aren't overly brightened as well if the 3D glasses are removed?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Reed Grele said:
I am curious too.

If the 3D is always "on", would it not be better to keep the 3d glasses on during the 2D segments as well?

Unless I hear that there's a better way to do it, that's what my plan is. I've got a couple movies like that - "Tron Legacy" for one, begins in 3D for the opening title, switches to 2D for the first twenty minutes or so, then goes to 3D, then switches back to 2D for the last five minutes, and then back to 3D for the end credits. I just leave the glasses on from start to finish.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Reed Grele said:
I am curious too.

If the 3D is always "on", would it not be better to keep the 3d glasses on during the 2D segments as well? Has the disc had some special compensation done to it so that when my projector goes into "3D overdrive", thus boosting the overall brightness somewhat, the 2D segments aren't overly brightened as well if the 3D glasses are removed?

I think authoring brightness adjustment into the disc would be a bad idea. The disc will be encoded as a 3D stream (MVC) all the way and I don't know if it's even possible to create a movie file that switches back and forth from MVC to AVC. It will be a glasses-on necessity for the entire movie. Doing what you propose would cause fluctuating brightness for those who don't remove their glasses and it would also ruin the experience for those choosing to watch the movie in 2D mode.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Josh Steinberg said:
Unless I hear that there's a better way to do it, that's what my plan is. I've got a couple movies like that - "Tron Legacy" for one, begins in 3D for the opening title, switches to 2D for the first twenty minutes or so, then goes to 3D, then switches back to 2D for the last five minutes, and then back to 3D for the end credits. I just leave the glasses on from start to finish.

If I'm remembering correctly, Tron Legacy was designed for keeping the glasses on the whole time -- both in theaters and on the Blu-ray.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yes, totally right. There's a card before the titles explaining that some scenes were in 2D as a filmmakers choice but to keep the glasses on the whole time - and that always got a little bit of a laugh from the audience the few times I saw it.

I've never actually seen The Mask so I have no idea how the movie handles the cues - does it tell you to put your glasses on at certain points? I'm very excited to see it for the first time and having seen Bob and Greg's other 3D discs I have no doubt it'll be the best the movie has ever looked.

GregK

Screenwriter
Here are some replies to different questions on THE MASK, and as Bob has mentioned elsewhere via social media, additional information from Kino should be forthcoming within the week,

* THE MASK was somewhat unique in that in the 35mm fine grain elements had frame accurate black slugs where the 3-D segments should be, with the 3-D segments themselves being on different reels including the audio. The audio elements for the 3-D segments aurally are VERY dynamic along with a quite respectable high and low end presence. It truly does have that room filling sound. Culling from these elements on hand, we have provided a 5.1 mix of those 3-D segments along with the mono mix still on tap as an audio option.

* The entire feature will be AVC/MVC (3-D bluray) coded. The reason for this, and no doubt why it was done this way with the 2-D with 3-D segments for Disney's 3-D bluray TRON LEGACY, is the transition to 3-D remains seemless with no audio or video hiccups / delays as a result. TRON LEGACY was also shown in theaters with the Real-D polarizing z-screen in place throughout the entire feature for the same reason.

* What's especially exciting is this easily looks FAR better than it's ever looked before. A somewhat cliche phrase nowadays, but in this case so accurate. Every release of this title starting from the original theatrical showings in 1961 were in anaglyph form. Only the 3-D bluray format finally provides a superior discrete 3-D presentation. The remastered anaglyphic segments are surprisingly effective for what that format can do but it is the the MVC discrete version that is the real eye-opener.

- Greg

3-D Film Archive, LLC
http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
When I saw it theatrically in the late sixties, it was an anaglyph print.

The audience was cued when to "put the mask on" for the 3D sequences.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
It has not been seen in anything other than anaglyphic 3-D. Our Blu-ray release will be the first time anyone is seeing it in discrete left/right.

The difference is substantial.

Oh, don't worry: you'll know when to put on the glasses!

santler

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Just pre-ordered through Amazon. I saw this film when it was first released in all its red/blue glory, and I can't wait till November to see it on Blu Ray!

On this question of what's being done during the flat non-3D sequences of the film: So long as the left/right eye images are perfectly merged, won't the flat sequences appear perfectly normal (i.e. "flat") whether or not one has the glasses on? If the blu ray disc has been processed in this fashion, the living room viewer's experience will be the same as the 1961 movie-goer's. When the film's disembodied voice orders us to "put on the mask!" a 3D image will appear just as soon as we don the TV's 3D glasses. Just like in the theater in 1961. Again, can't wait!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Here's what confuses me: the talking heads in the short at the beginnning of this thread indicate that the film is black and white, with 3D sequences in colour. Am I safe in assuming what they meant by colour is the cyan/red of the anaglyphic process?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Stephen_J_H said:
Here's what confuses me: the talking heads in the short at the beginnning of this thread indicate that the film is black and white, with 3D sequences in colour. Am I safe in assuming what they meant by colour is the cyan/red of the anaglyphic process?

Correct

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks