What's new

3D Put THE MASK on now! (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
There's depth in the short but it's not very aggressive. Check out the seen where the character flies toward the camera.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
williamedit said:
Hello everyone, I just received my copy of The Mask yesterday, January 5. The image is beautiful and the 3d excellent. However; I'm having a problem with One Night In Hell. I can't get any depth out of it. I tried adjusting the depth control till I was blue in the face but all that did was shift the entire image from the screen window or making it recede back a bit. The feature film 3d looks perfect but this short does not have any depth. Do you think I received a defective disc? I have never had this problem on any of the 93 3d discs that I own. Bob, if you're reading this, or anyone else, could please advise. Thanks. Bill O.
You may be experiencing a problem that I had with my player. For both the movie 3D and the short film in 3D, I had to trick my player into playing it in 3D (even though when the disc loaded it recognized the disc as being 3D). I can't remember the order or method that I used, but when I go to play it again it will quickly come back to me. Something like going directly to the 3D scenes (for the movie) or the short and stopping the disc and then a few seconds later hitting the play button again. After doing that I could go back to the start of the movie or the short film and they would play fine.

williamedit

Auditioning
Real Name
William
To Bob and Phil thank you for your responses. I did the "trick my player" bit by hitting the stop button on the player and then hitting play. It worked perfectly. This is something I will use in the future if the problem ever pops up again. Again, thank you very much.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
So, I finally got around to watching this tonight (It's been crazy stupid busy lately). I gotta say, the movie is better than I remember it. As usual, Bob and Greg did outstanding work. One observation: there is some ghosting with the beginning of the first dream sequence in particular. The only other 3D disc I have that suffers from ghosting is the Spy Kid 3-D/Adventures of Sharkboy and Lava Girl disc. Is that just a by-product of the films originally being anaglyph releases?

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Todd J Moore said:
One observation: there is some ghosting with the beginning of the first dream sequence in particular. The only other 3D disc I have that suffers from ghosting is the Spy Kid 3-D/Adventures of Sharkboy and Lava Girl disc. Is that just a by-product of the films originally being anaglyph releases?
The first 3D dream sequence begins where he sees behind himself looking at the couch in the office, fog then comes in, a skull appears, then eyes, and then moving eyes. No ghosting on either left or right image when viewed as discrete 3D with an HMD. There is a very slight dim, what I would describe as an aura that is present around the large moving eye balls when viewing both images together, but when paused, looking at individual left and right images, I don't see it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The ghosting on Spy Kids 3D and Sharkboy and Lavagirl is probably more due to extreme parallax in both features. They were shot on HD cameras in 3D and converted to anaglyph for single strip 35mm presentation. You will even get some ghosting on Real D presentations in cinemas, as cancellation is excellent, but not perfect.

GregK

Screenwriter
SPY KIDS 3-D does have a few instances of extreme parallax (80s style) that Stephen_J_H notes. Extreme parallax can also cause "perceived ghosting", meaning it's harder for some viewer's eyes to correctly fuse the left and right images together at extreme parallaxes, but there may not be any true ghosting in the display path. Likewise, the opening eyeball sequence in the first 3-D sequence of THE MASK has some very brief extreme parallax, but is discrete sourced from original left/right 35mm elements.

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
Greg, you've opened a door of discussion that I've had a nervous shoulder against for quite some time. I personally suspect that a number of people (not on this forum) conflate ghosting or cross talk with a separate condition, the physiological inability to fuse left and right images into a single stereo image. As Paul Hillenbrand rightly observes, an HMD will only present true ghosting in cases where the ghosting is "baked in" to the original film materials (e.g., when discrete left and right images have been "harvested" from a rare, anaglyphic original, leaving a kind of visual residue here and there). I wonder if non-HMD equipment (televisions, projectors, various kinds of glasses) is blamed for ghosting when in fact poor fusion is sometimes the real issue.

NOTE: On rereading my own post, I thought it might be good to add the final line, for a small measure of added clarity.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I first watched the anaglyph Spy Kids 3D on my ancient CRT TV and it looked horrible. It's much better on a flat screen LCD TV.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
David M. Ballew said:
As Paul Hillenbrand rightly observes, an HMD will only present true ghosting in cases where the ghosting is "baked in" to the original film materials (e.g., when discrete left and right images have been "harvested" from a rare, anaglyphic original, leaving a kind of visual residue here and there). I wonder if non-HMD equipment (televisions, projectors, various kinds of glasses) is blamed for ghosting when in fact poor fusion is sometimes the real issue.

NOTE: On rereading my own post, I thought it might be good to add the final line, for a small measure of added clarity.
My definition of "3D ghosting" is entirely different than a "very slight dim" aura emanating around and object. What I describe as an "aura", is when I am seeing what looks like a foggy-halo-effect around an object, without any added brightness, completely surrounding it equidistantly, and so-slightly that the effect would be consciously negligible to me and most-likely consciously-ignored, if I were not looking for an unnatural phenomena.
When viewing Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over with an HMD, I see pristine 3D depth and pop-out in color, resolution, and vivid clarity. Nothing that looks to me like an aura. When viewing 3D ghosting on a non-HMD display, I would describe ghosting as a shadow-like-brightness usually emanating from one side of the image.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Watched this again and it worked flawlessly--excellent 3D, good scary fun (like EYES WITHOUT A FACE crossed with BLACK SUNDAY, but very much its own thing, too). Don't know what happened the first, disappointing time I watched the Blu-ray but THE MASK was finally on right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks