What's new

Projector Mount Question (1 Viewer)

Trogdor796

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin Kubat
I have a Sony HW40ES and Carada 110" screen that I would like to set up next week. Problem is, I don't have my actual theater seating yet. I ended up buying a whole new set of speakers, sub-woofer, and receiver on black Friday, so I will be using some chairs we already have until early next year when I am able to buy some actual theater seating.

I've been told that the height drop tube you buy depends on how many rows of seating you have, how far back they are, and what height they are at. Since I will be using some temporary seating for a bit, I don't want to order a drop tube that will not work with whatever actual seating I end up getting. All I know for sure is that I plan on doing two rows once I have actual seating. For now, we will probably just have some normal chairs in there.

I got a Chief RPA 020 mount with it. So I have the projector and that mount, no other mounting hardware. For now, is it possible to use that mount and just put the projector flush with the ceiling, and then add a drop down tube later? Is there an adjustable drop down tube that I could buy? If those are not options, I do have an old wood entertainment center that is 6'3" high, that I could just put behind my seating and set the projector on top of. Given my room dimensions and the projector and screen I have, would that be possible for now, using lens shift on the projector?

Just trying to figure out the best temporary option here.

Attachments

• Room Layout.png
    Room Layout.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 27

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Trogdor796 said:
I've been told that the height drop tube you buy depends on how many rows of seating you have, how far back they are, and what height they are at.
That projector has both horizontal and vertical lens shift. Why do you think you need a drop tube? Have you done the necessary calculations based on throw distance and screen size to figure out the placement range for the projector? You should simply mount it as close to the ceiling as it will allow.

Trogdor796

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin Kubat
Jason Charlton said:
That projector has both horizontal and vertical lens shift. Why do you think you need a drop tube? Have you done the necessary calculations based on throw distance and screen size to figure out the placement range for the projector? You should simply mount it as close to the ceiling as it will allow.
I wasn't sure if it was actually possible to mount it to the ceiling without a drop tube, but if you can attach it simply to the ceiling using the mount I have then I guess I wouldn't need one.

As for the placement range, I know there is a sweet spot for distance and screen size, where you kind of want it in the middle so it's not too bright or too dark. I just didn't want it interfering with where my second row went, or vice versa, in case the projector hung down to the point where people might bump it when standing up off of a riser, but if a drop tube isn't necessary then i guess the projector wouldn't sit that low possibly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks