What's new

Progressive Scan on HDTV (1 Viewer)

Clark Bradley

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All,

I have a Philips 30PW8402/37 CRT HDTV and Toshiba SD-5000KU DVD player.

The TV has component and HDMI inputs. Online, I found that the TV has EyeFidelity for progressive scan, however my physical manual does not mention this. Also, the TV is a 1080i.

The DVD player allows for SVideo, Component, Progressive or HD (HDMI) inputs for the TV.

The problem I am having is with the progressive scan. I have the DVD and TV connected with component cables. On the DVD setting "Component" the picture looks fine, same as my old player. When I switch to "Progressive" the picture gets darker, but not any better in quality. What am I doing wrong here?

Clark Bradley

Stunt Coordinator
Reading around a bit, it sounds like the progressive scan will only take the picture to 480p. So, with the component selection set, is it possible my TV is upconverting to 1080i? This would explain why the picture is better than progressive scan.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Your TV merely needs a slightly different calibration (brightness, contrast, etc.) for the interlaced component input versus the progressive scan input.

Actually we will not rule out the possiblity that the different calibration is needed only for your specific DVD player's interlaced output or for your specific player's progressive output.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks