What's new

Help I am heartbroken my 27 inch JVC TV konked out I need a HDTV trying 27 inch with rca (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I know nothing about HD TV I need a TV looking at 27 inch 720 or 1080? Need RCA inputs??? I really cannot afford a lot need to get tv though I have a dvd player a blu ray a all region dvd VHS and fios box to hook up can anyone show me one to grab????

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The first thing that you should know is that a 27" 16:9 HDTV is going to offer a smaller screen area for 4:3 and Academy ratio content than the 27" 4:3 CRT that you're replacing does.

While this is obvious when you think about it due to the differing aspect ratios, it's easy to forget for a first time HDTV buyer. And since you're looking for a 27" HDTV as a replacement for a 27" CRT (That I assume is 4:3, although there certainly were 16:9 ED and HD CRT's produced), I'm assuming you'd like to maintain your screen size for non-widescreen content.

You need to go up to 33" to match your older television where 4:3 content is concerned. Perhaps problematic where cost is concerned, but it certainly seems worth mentioning to you as a possible aid in your tv search. Below is an illustration with your 27" 4:3 screen overlaid on the 33" 16:9 screen, demonstrating how their vertical dimension matches.

Screen Size Comparison.jpg

I used this handy screen comparison tool at this link to generate that visual comparison for you.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The first thing that you should know is that a 27" 16:9 HDTV is going to offer a smaller screen area for 4:3 and Academy ratio content than the 27" 4:3 CRT that you're replacing does.

While this is obvious when you think about it due to the differing aspect ratios, it's easy to forget for a first time HDTV buyer. And since you're looking for a 27" HDTV as a replacement for a 27" CRT (That I assume is 4:3, although there certainly were 16:9 ED and HD CRT's produced), I'm assuming you'd like to maintain your screen size for non-widescreen content.

You need to go up to 33" to match your older television where 4:3 content is concerned. Perhaps problematic where cost is concerned, but it certainly seems worth mentioning to you as a possible aid in your tv search. Below is an illustration with your 27" 4:3 screen overlaid on the 33" 16:9 screen, demonstrating how their vertical dimension matches.

View attachment 165835

I used this handy screen comparison tool at this link to generate that visual comparison for you.

THANK U I will go with 33 how do I hook up the dvd blu ray multi region dvd vhs and fios box

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
how do I hook up the dvd blu ray multi region
If I'm reading your device list accurately, you own a multi region DVD/Blu-Ray player? This should certainly have a HDMI output. You'll want to connect it via HDMI for the best picture quality. Don't be fooled into buying an expensive HDMI cable. Any cheap HDMI cable of adequate length will get the job done when you're not going to be going past 1080p (Only worry if a cable is good enough if you're going to watch 4k content).

how do I hook up the fios box
As for your FIOS box, I'm confident in 2022 that this has a HDMI output if you look at the rear of it. You'll want to also connect this device via HDMI for the best quality.

For instance my parents had to get converter boxes when Spectrum Cable ended analog broadcast back when cable and satellite companies followed suit with the end of analog OTA broadcasting. These converters were connected via composite to their SD CRT's for the first few years. But when they finally made the jump to HDTV's, these boxes all had HDMI outputs and full HD support. So all that I needed to get them into the HD age were some cheap HDMI cables and swapping the cables. I bet your FIOS box is the same situation.

If by chance it doesn't, I'd recommend contacting Verizon for a replacement HD capable box with HDMI output.

how do I hook up the dvd vhs
I assume you have one of those combination DVD/VHS players? This is much more complicated since I can't assume what outputs it has. The presence of HDMI is hit or miss on these sorts of devices and even if it has HDMI, I'd be shocked if it will output your VHS tapes through it.

My combination DVD/VHS recorders from Magnavox for instance will only output DVD's through the HDMI output. The VHS half of the player as well as analog inputs when connected to it are both limited to using the analog outputs of the player. I assume they didn't invest money in an analog-to-digital converter chip (although I am able to record analog sources to DVD-r's, so maybe there has to be an ADC?) or the HDMI Forum simply doesn't allow it with their licensing terms.

So for VHS tapes you'll likely be stuck connecting your combination DVD/VHS player up via composite (Also known as RCA jacks, which are the cables where the video cable has a yellow jack and your stereo audio has red and white jacks). Coaxial out on your player won't work since your player is going to output it on channel 3 or 4. So even though your new HDTV is likely going to include a coaxial input, HDTV's have dropped analog channel tuners in their circuitry with the end of analog television broadcasting. Coaxial inputs these days only support digital signals and are primarily for those receiving OTA digital broadcasts.

Composite cables:

composite.jpg

And if your combination player has higher quality S-Video or component outputs, those are likely out as well with your new television. S-Video inputs are long extinct on newer televisions. And component connections are getting to be a very rare offering on new televisions (These look just like RCA/composite cables, but split the video across separate red, green, and blue connectors instead of the singular yellow connector).

Component cables:
component.jpg

S-Video jack on a television (The yellow port):
S-Video jack.jpg

Sorry for the wall of text, but hopefully it's of some assistance. If nothing else just remember to use HDMI whenever the device offers you the option.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The other option is search the used markets for 2000’s era Sony WEGA CRT or similar TVs still available if you really need to stay with ‘90s and ‘00s technology.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you don’t need a smart TV, there’s a 32” Insignia for $100. My parents have those and they work just fine.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Just be sure to turn the brightness down on the Insignia if you buy it. My mom had her two Insignias cranked up to 100% brightness even though 70% or so wasn't much dimmer, and the first two only lasted 12-18 months each before the LED backlight died.

And being such a cheap set, there was no hope after a good bit of searching to find the replacement part to repair them. People want to repair the big and expensive sets, not the smaller budget sets that are viewed as disposable. So the parts aren't stocked anywhere that I could find, even though it would've been a simple repair (I extracted the part without issue in search of a part number to track down a replacement backlight).

The brightness is down on this 3rd set though, which isn't an Insignia (I think it's a Vizio).

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Just be sure to turn the brightness down on the Insignia if you buy it. My mom had her two Insignias cranked up to 100% brightness even though 70% or so wasn't much dimmer, and the first two only lasted 12-18 months each before the LED backlight died.

And being such a cheap set, there was no hope after a good bit of searching to find the replacement part to repair them. People want to repair the big and expensive sets, not the smaller budget sets that are viewed as disposable. So the parts aren't stocked anywhere that I could find, even though it would've been a simple repair (I extracted the part without issue in search of a part number to track down a replacement backlight).

The brightness is down on this 3rd set though, which isn't an Insignia (I think it's a Vizio).
GREAT THANKS TO ALL Yes I have a fios box blu ray - mulit dvd p;ayer region and vhs even laseridisc

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
GREAT THANKS TO ALL Yes I have a fios box blu ray - mulit dvd p;ayer region and vhs even laseridisc

Element 32" 720p HD LED Roku TV Got just delivered waiting might have a tech come tonight or tomorrow then I need to call PC Richard they sold us a 32 inch at 99.00 RCA but could not get here till next Tues! The TV puts me to sleep at night!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks