What's new

Just call me 'Thread Killer' - The Revenge (1 Viewer)

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
Yesterday I hauled out my first HDTV-"ready" CRT television to the garage as it hadn't seen usage in years and it got me to thinking all the the time and energy that went into the decision to buy it--and all the time I spent on HTF, lo those many years ago. (I call it my first, but it was like the third or forth one I tried before I settled on it).
It's been quite a while since I posted anything here (over 4 years according to my profile)--though I lurk from time to time. I've seen the HTF grow from a homespun community to a place where production studios would get valuable feedback from their most critical and discerning customers. I remember when every announcement of each new digital transfer of an old film to anamorphic widescreen DVD was anticipated with bated breath, when CRT was king and large sized LCD screens were a pipe dream, when external line-doublers were usurped by "progressive-scan" DVD players (my first was the Toshiba SD-5109), the ill-fated DIVX gamble by Circuit City, Turkey Knapp, WB's horrible snap-cases, and the progression from a time when only those "in the know" knew where to find this newfangled technology--to $20 no-name DVD players and $1 bargain-bin DVDs (and now blurays).
So in honor of nostalgia, I decided to revive one of my favorite pointless threads: Just call me 'Thread Killer'. Unfortunately, it is locked so I had to link to it.
So feel free to reply with--whatever. Just beware the silica.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Pretty funny stuff. If only I could remember all the deleted stuff. For that matter, if I could only remember my address most days.
From Rob FM circa 2005 -- I find it kind of funny, sad, depressing, and interesting all at the same time in light of the just announced maybe more than a final rumor.
Anyone got news on Tom and Katie?
I haven't had an update in 3 hours from any major press outlets.
Are they split up?
This as I yet again pass my Pioneer Elite Pro-96 that is still in my main room -- $3500 50 inch SD set from 1994 or so. Still in perfect working order though rarely ever even gets turned on in the last 8 years, but I just can't bear to get rid of it (anybody want it -- you can probably have it just for the labor).

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
lots of names from the past in that thread. Rain, Holadem, RickER, MarkHastings....

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Why were so many posts deleted from that thread?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The old software had problems with extremely long threads.
Parker kept one extremely big thread under a grandfather's umbrella, but couldn't do that for other ones.
Just too much work.

The alternative would have been to close it and start a new one now and then, but in those days, we 'loved' keeping it alive.
The word we used was "pruning".

Some people used that thread to increase their post-count with many nonsense, sometimes rather silly short posts.
Your post-count diminished if your post got deleted, so guess a second very heated topic there.

Cees

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I have never understood the allure of "my post count is bigger than yours"....

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
ChristopherG said:
I have never understood the allure of "my post count is bigger than yours"....
Me either. It's a meaningless metric. Now "Joined" date on the other hand... :)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by MikeSerrano /t/321943/just-call-me-thread-killer-the-revenge#post_3945314
Me either. It's a meaningless metric. Now "Joined" date on the other hand...
Touche'

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
With cats in the house, you know that you should hang toilet paper so it unrolls on the wall side. This way if the cats tug downwards on the roll it won't unroll on you.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Rob FM doomed that marriage. It took seven years, but darn that post for thread-killing Tom and Katie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks