What's new

Problem with Bridge on the River Kwai Disk (1 Viewer)

DanRevill

Agent
The first disc in my Bridge on the River Kwai Disc has problems at the 65 minute mark. It literally freezes up and I can not access the chapter properly either through the menu.
The problem is on my DVD player and my DVD-ROM, and neither have any troubles with any other part of the set. Am I the only one to experience this?
What would be the best way of getting a replacement disk?
I looked at Sony's website but they don't seem to have a customer service page.
Any help here would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

- dan

DanRevill

Agent
I've had it for at least two years now. But I've watched it a few times, and only this year has been the first time I've had any problems. The disk itself looks fine. No visible scratches etc

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Call information and get the main number for Sony Pictures Entertainment in Culver City CA, they can connect you.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Is it at layer change?

The part where they are walking up some stairs?

My player freezes for 10-12 seconds at that point.

DanRevill

Agent
Thanks Jeff. I'll do that tomorrow. It's worth a shot.

Rain, it freezes up when Col. Saito is crying after he releases Col. Nicholson. It is supposed to go the next chapter but doesn't.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I thought I remember that, for some unknown reason, that the authoring of this DVD included a title change instead of the usual layer change that we often see. When the title changes during the movie your DVD player will start again back at chapter one for this new title. This is the reason why the the chapter listing card does not correspond with the later chapter numbers for the movie. The title change often takes longer than the layer change and some players may have been freezing up at that point. I'm not sure if this is related to your problem but this was a somewhat odd occurance that was commented on and shows up in my LE version.

DanRevill

Agent
No, it's before the title change. The exact chapter that can not be accessed is Title 1, chapter 15. Both my Dvd players freeze up at this point, but every other chapter is easy to get to.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
This is a dual layer disc, but it is not a "Reverse Spiral Dual Layer" (RSDL) disc. When the layer change occurs, the laser has to track all the way back to the inside of the disc and continue, which is why it takes considerably longer than most discs. Apparently, this afforded them some much needed extra bits which allowed them to get all two hours and 40 minutes plus options and whatever extras are on disc one with acceptable quality.

This does not seem to be Dan's problem, though.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks