What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Printer Problem Advice (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I’ve had an Epson C80 printer for a couple of years now. I always used the genuine Epson cartridges, but lately had noticed streaks in my copies that I couldn’t seem to get rid of even after repeated head cleanings. When it was time for a black cartridge change, I had used a “generic” cartridge. It printed fine for a while, then I had streaking problems again. Then it got to the point where it got so faint that I could barely see the nozzle check pattern (which you use to check the alignment of heads). So I tried replacing the black cartridge again, this time with a Rhinotek cartridge. It printed better for a while, but now, the black doesn’t print AT ALL despite repeated head cleanings (even waiting overnight between cleanings, as the manual suggests). I can print a web page, for instance, and all the color areas print fine but all the black parts are missing.

Is it time to dump this printer, or is there something I can try? I don’t necessarily think it’s a non-Epson ink cartridge problem since the constant streaking problem started while I was still using the Epson ink.

I’m about ready to give up and get a Canon i560 from Costco. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you!

P.S. Also, have any of you had good results with non-OEM cartridges?

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Elizabeth it sounds like the problem I just had, Canon had to send me a new 'print' head. Canon said it was under warranty and 2 days later I had the new print head and it was printing like it was just bought. I looked it up online and the cost of a new one is $33, you mike want to check into this.:)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I bought a cleaning solution from http://fixyourownprinter.com/ that is supposed to help clear up clogging. It came with a syringe. Instructions can be found online.

I have an Epson 2200...replacing the printhead on that sucker would be damn expensive, so in the event of a devastating clog, I'll use the syringe method first...

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Oops, I just found out that their Epson clogged printhead repair kit does NOT work on the Epson C80. Blah.

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Max neither is mine I own a Canon F20 the nearest one listed is F50, neither I or Elizabeth could use your URL for printer repair but thanks for trying.

Elizabeth I would consult with your printers manufacturer, distributor or who sold you your printer. OTH you could try a search engine to find out exactly what a printhead for your machine would cost.

I bought mine on the web for $149 last year, it has borderless printing and 36 bit scanner on top. Elizabeth it will print a DVD full cover art within 1/8 inch on the 8.5 X 11 semi gloss paper from Kodak I printed more than 1,000 covers plus other stuff during the time before the print head clogged. Although the ink cartridges are small I use Walmart ink packages to refill my own Printer, I still do for like Max said a clogged print head. It struck me as the universal ink kit had a pinkish color liquid to clean something, I just reread it, it's to clean the printhead. I'll be adding that to prevent another clog.

I hope all this helps you My Lady Elizabeth. :)

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
My first word of advice would be to get rid of the Epson. Epson printers are notorious for problems with the print head clogging. I will never buy another Epson.

One word of advice on cleaning the heads is that there's actually 3 stages to the head cleaning. Clean the heads (stage 1), don't print the test pattern, clean the heads again (stage 2), don't print the test pattern and then clean the heads again (stage 3). See if that clears it up. If you print the test pattern in between, it goes back to stage 1 cleaning. Doing it this way seems to make a difference on my printer.

I've also been told in the past that it's absolutely necessary to turn off an Epson printer using the power button on the printer. If your printer is plugged into a power strip of some kind, turning off the power strip and cutting power to the printer is not good for it.

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Elizabeth S. when you find out what is wrong and have it corrected will you please post it, since 2 other posters had the conclusion that I had. I do hope your having a wonderful summer weekend also Elizabeth.:)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Thanks a lot, everybody! :)

I'll try the 3 head cleanings in a row as Tim suggested, without printing the test pattern.

And I'll see if I can find out about the print head cost (though frankly, I don't even know where the darned print head is located). :b I presume it has a different one for each cartridge since all the colors are printing?

John, the weather is already unbearably hot this summer! I had to go escape to "Shrek 2" last weekend!

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member

Print heads on Epson inkjets are not consumables that you can just replace, like with Canon printers. It may well be easier and possibly not much more expensive just to buy another printer.

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Elizabeth the print head on my Canon is underneath the ink cartridges. Very easy to take out and replace, I took my old one and did a thorough job cleaning it with the liquid from the ink refill kit.

Elizabeth it's very hot here too when I am on my 4.5 MPH electric scooter, I don't own a car or it's money headaches; disability scooter is just fine. People still look or stare at my riding my scooter to the supermarket in the heat, but I have a handkerchief down over my neck to prevent too much sunburn. Elizabeth stay frosty!:)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

Thanks, Rob -- actually I'm leaning that way, just to buy a new one if more head cleaning doesn't work. It just seems easier. The Canon is quite cheap at Costco.

If so, I guess I'll get some last color ink mileage out of the Epson by printing up labels or something where I don't need black.

Take it easy, John! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katarianig
Recent bookmarks