What's new
World Wide Stereo

best non progressive scan DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
hi there--

So, I am really frustrated. I have a decent TV (Toshiba CZ32V51)--a few years old, but it's a solid tube, and will serve me well as I wait for a solid 16x9 HDTV unit to come down in price. Anyway, I am having significant issues with my Pioneer DV-440 DVD player. It works fine, sure, but I keep seeing these very faint "bands" of color...like, the picture is made up of stacking lines, very faint, but noticeable once you...notice it. Looks like an old dotmatrix printer running out of ink.

Anyway, I am waiting for my Yamaha RXV750 receiver to come in, which does component video switching, so perhaps that will help, but otherwise, I need to buy a new DVD player. Problem is, it looks like most DVD players out there are progressive scan, and I have heard/read that progressive scan DVD players don't always play nice with interlace TVs. Any truth to that?

I have done everything I can think of to "fix" the lines, played with the various settings on the DVD player (which I never do, I hate it when the DVD player gets in the way of things) so I could really use some advice on what DVD player to get. Perhaps if I spent more money on a really good progressive scan player I wouldn't risk the issues with non interlace TVs?

Regardless, thanks for any help you might have on this. I have been slowly upgrading my theatre and it's frustrating to have to get another DVD player so soon after getting this Pioneer (a little over a year ago) but that's life...

thanks!

mike

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Gosh, I would think any cheapie DVD player being fed to your tv by Svideo would solve any such issues and be fine.

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
I see that---but I guess the lameo in me wants to stay with component video if I can...I got my parents a somewhat cheapo Toshiba DVD player a few years ago and it was almost "too" sharp for their new TV...I just...I just find it hard to trust the cheap ones after that experience...but I am goin to play with an S-Video cable and see what happens...thanks for the advice!

mike

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I guess it depends on how soon you plan on getting that widescreen TV? I'd can tell you that my Denon 1600 looked great on my Sony Wega TV in interlaced mode as does the Sony DVD jukebox that replaced it so I wouldn't rule out progressive players outright...plus it'll be there waiting for you when you do get a TV or projector that will take the progressive image. If you're stuck on getting an interlaced player IMO I'd buy a Sony DVP-7700. They're a couple hundred on Audiogon etc and are very nice players both in build quality and image quality.

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
ah, yes...I had a Sony player (forget the model number but it was silver) and the component video died TWICE...I think it was the New York heat and humidity. now I am in LA, though...i will loook around at at the 7700. thanks!

My first DVD player was a nice Toshiba..since I have a Toshiba TV maybe karma-wise things will work out better...

thanks again..
mike

RichG

Agent
My solution was to get a Panasonic RP91. Based on my research, it was the best interlace model available. As a bonus, this used to be Panasonic's top of the line model and the build quality, remote control, and flexibility are substantially above what you find in a cheap player. You should be able to find a used model for around $200.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Interesting thing this thread got me thinking about some. Is the fact we can get a lot of data easily on the de-interlacers most DVD players use. But not so easily the ones that really have the better mpeg decoders in them.

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
Fantastic! thanks so much--I will check out the player today.

thanks again.,

mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks