What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Train -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've been reporting displeasure at some of the 4k black & white transfers of UA productions, as they appear heavily sharpened, direct off OCN, and nowhere akin to prints. Far too grainy.

The Train, from Kino, which I presumed might look like the others has gotten it correct.

Fine grain. Wonderful blacks and gray scale. Clean image. Nary a problem in sight.

Wonderful film. Great 4k release.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS Monaural)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7

Upgrade from Blu-ray - if you love the film

Worth your attention - 8

Slipcover rating - 1

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
One of my favorite WWII films with great performances by Burt Lancaster & Paul Scofield. I still remember seeing the film for the first time in a letterboxed format when i purchased the laserdisc which i still have.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
Never heard of this film, but I see it come up often as an Amazon suggestion so I've been waiting for some sort of review.

Thank you for the endorsement, Mr Harris.

Reactions: PMF

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
This comment makes me think the 4K probably doesn't look much different from the Blu-ray.
The Blu-ray has been issued by many companies. I bought the Arrow (because the Twilight Time was OOP) thinking it would never be released again, how wrong was I? The Arrow looks good.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Kino notes that this soundtrack has indeed been repurposed for 5.1!
Post in thread 'Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread:

THE TRAIN (1964)

DISC 1 (4KUHD):

• Brand New HDR/Dolby Vision Master – From a 4K Scan of the 35mm Original Camera Negative
• Audio Commentary by Director John Frankenheimer
• Audio Commentary by Filmmaker/Historian Steve Mitchell and Combat Films: American Realism Author Steven Jay Rubin
• Isolated Score by Maurice Jarre
• 5.1 Surround and 2.0 Lossless Audio
• Triple-Layered UHD100 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

DISC 2 (BLU-RAY):
• Brand New HD Master – From a 4K Scan of the 35mm Original Camera Negative
• Audio Commentary by Director John Frankenheimer
• Audio Commentary by Filmmaker/Historian Steve Mitchell and Combat Films: American Realism Author Steven Jay Rubin
1964 Making-of The Train: Newly Mastered in 2K (6:37)
• Isolated Score by Maurice Jarre
• TRAILERS FROM HELL with Brian Trenchard-Smith
• TV Spot (1:01)
• Theatrical Teaser: Newly Mastered in 2K (1:12)
• Theatrical Trailer: Newly Mastered in 2K (4:25)
• 5.1 Surround and 2.0 Lossless Audio
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

LIMITED EDITION EXTRAS:
• Booklet Essay by Film Historian Julie Kirgo
• Reversible Art
• O-Card Slipcase

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...ad-read-guidelines-post-3.355034/post-5249221

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
It's right on their listing for it on their website:

Capture.PNG

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Never heard of this film, but I see it come up often as an Amazon suggestion so I've been waiting for some sort of review.

Thank you for the endorsement, Mr Harris.
It's definitely worth a viewing. So well made. Great layered story. Suspenseful and great multi-faceted characters. Amazing location work. Great casting and acting. A great director at the peak of his powers. Don't pass it up.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Isn’t this 5.1?
There is now a review at The Digital Bits that confirms that there is an optional 5.1 (lossy Dolby Digital) track:
The 5.1 option simply spreads these elements more evenly across the front part of the soundstage, with the surround channels used only for extremely light atmospheric fill and music.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My 4K/UHD arrives today so I will immediately watch one of my all-time favorite movies. I'll never forget watching this film for the first time in a movie theater as a nine-year-old. I was still in my electric trains stage.
I forgot to post my thoughts about this 4K/UHD release. I chose the 5.1 audio track and with the 4K/Dolby Vision, it almost gave me the feeling of seeing this beautiful black and white film for the first time. I'm very pleased that I added this release to my disc collection. Burt Lancaster didn't try to have a French accent, but he worked his tail off with the physical demands required for this movie. Also, some of the dubbing was obvious, but it's never distracting like it's been with other movies. Just a terrific film!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Burt Lancaster didn't try to have a French accent, but he worked his tail off with the physical demands required for this movie.

A couple of weeks ago, I watched this right after watching Kino's UHD of The Manchurian Candidate. Lancaster's lack of any attempt at an accent amused me after watching Candidate, where Lawrence Harvey similarly seemed to not try too hard at effecting an American accent. :laugh:

That said, both discs were terrific.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I prefer it when a star doesn't do an accent, I find it off-putting, the old stars never bothered - Sean Connery kept his Scottish burr in every roll he played (Arab, Russian Submarine Captain ect.), & it always worked a treat. Does Leonardo DiCaprio really sound like that all the way through Killers Of The Flower Moon? It would put me off. The worse one I can think of right now is Jack Nicholon in Prizzi's Honor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks