What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Ronin -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sometimes I wonder how many people remember the great John Frankenheimer. For those who may not recall the name - and you should - he was probably best know for his political thrillers, of which Ronin is a superb example.

Birdman of Alcatraz, The Manchurian Candidate, Seven Days in May, The Train, Seconds are among his works.

Ronin, both a superb film as well as superb 4k UHD offering from Kino is a political thriller that doesn't really make itself known until the end, contains some wonderful Hitchcockian elements, and yes, makes wonderful use of a MacGuffin.

For those unaware or initiated, a MacGuffin is a device used for hunting lions in the Scottish highlands.

Peopled with a superb cast - Robert DeNiro, Jean Reno, Natasha McElhone, Stellan Skarsgard ( I always find myself double checking as to the number of Rs and Ss in his name), Sean Bean and Jonathan Pryce - Ronin leads the viewer on a merry chase with more than a few herrings of different shades.

As a 4k disc, Kino's release is gorgeous in all respects, and the track will give your system the exercise that it needs.

A terrific UHD offering of a terrific film by a terrific filmmaker. For those who enjoy sharp editing, Tony Gibbs work here could be used to hone a salmon knife.

From a S35 source.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS HD-MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7

Worth your attention - 9

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Slipcover rating - 1

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Thanks for the review, I haven't previously bought this film on home video so straight to 4k. Frankenheimer is one of the great action directors and the car chases in Ronin are among the best. Hope Grand Prix receives a 4k release as well.

Reactions: PMF

yamato72

Agent
Real Name
Marc Fenneuff
This was the first film I ever purchased on DVD. To this day it's refreshing to see the action scenes edited so coherently. Will definitely pick this one up.

What colour is the boathouse at Hereford?

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I have always liked Frankenheimer, those films mentioned above and possibly the only human being that really like I walked The Line when I saw it theatrically. I saw Ronin opening night in a theater filled with about 65 people and remember the film didn't do well (always the sign of a good film for me). The 4K is spectacular and looks like a 35 mm print. Excellent work from Kino and surprised that it surpasses my Arrow version. A must for all of you looking for perfect 4K's!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This was the first film I ever purchased on DVD. To this day it's refreshing to see the action scenes edited so coherently. Will definitely pick this one up.

What colour is the boathouse at Hereford?
I don't recall a boathouse. Only cows.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I have always liked Frankenheimer, those films mentioned above and possibly the only human being that really like I walked The Line when I saw it theatrically. I saw Ronin opening night in a theater filled with about 65 people and remember the film didn't do well (always the sign of a good film for me). The 4K is spectacular and looks like a 35 mm print. Excellent work from Kino and surprised that it surpasses my Arrow version. A must for all of you looking for perfect 4K's!
I Walk The Line is the one John Frankenheimer movie I've never enjoyed. I'll have to give the DVD another spin to see if I've changed.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I Walk The Line is the one John Frankenheimer movie I've never enjoyed. I'll have to give the DVD another spin to see if I've changed.
Robin, I liked the film because it was very strange to see Greg Peck in love with such a young girl and the situation he put himself in. I remember it being very uncomfortable. My wife has seen it since and did not like the film.

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Yes, a superb film! I remember when it was released and it seemed to be ignored. I think it's one of Frankenheimer's best films in any category. Besides those already mentioned I'm in a minority for liking his ALL FALL DOWN (1962)...it's not perfect but it has enough drama and character interest to make it worth a look. Just look at the cast---sure, a good cast never guarantees a good movie, but it's fascinating to watch this crew interact with each other. Malden, Lansbury (wow!), Beatty, Saint and De Wilde....

billO'

Stunt Coordinator
Ronin is a great spy thriller, unfortunately it doesn't seem to get the affection (imo) that it should. Great car chase sequence in it, too. De Niro seems to have ported over his performance from Heat for his character here, and I think it fits this story much better.

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
"For those unaware or initiated, a MacGuffin is a device used for hunting lions in the Scottish highlands."
I didn't know there were lions in Scotland ;)

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Ronin is a great spy thriller, unfortunately it doesn't seem to get the affection (imo) that it should. Great car chase sequence in it, too. De Niro seems to have ported over his performance from Heat for his character here, and I think it fits this story much better.
There's a lot of films like this, Romeo Is Bleeding, Into The Night, To Live And Die in LA, The Counselor and Revenge (Costner) to name just a few.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There's a lot of films like this, Romeo Is Bleeding, Into The Night, To Live And Die in LA, The Counselor and Revenge (Costner) to name just a few.
Romeo is Bleeding has one of the all-time great bad "guys". "I don't want you to kill him. I want you to bury him. If he dies in the process, that's his problem."

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Ronin has a couple of outstanding chase scenes, and it has a great cast, but I understand why it's not more beloved. Mamet's script is just a bit too pleased with itself, and the plotting around the MacGuffin is too clever by half. It's the type of storytelling only film dweebs will appreciate. To everyone else, it's much ado about nothing.

The third act also really pulls its punches with a conventional 90s shootout at a crowded event where the "bad guys" get their due and the "good guys" reclaim the MacGuffin. To really work, it probably needed to go all-in on the postmodernism that pokes it head throughout the film.

Great disc, though. I am happy to have it in my collection.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
"For those unaware or initiated, a MacGuffin is a device used for hunting lions in the Scottish highlands."
I didn't know there were lions in Scotland ;)

The Royal Arms of Scotland:

RAofS.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Ronin has a couple of outstanding chase scenes, and it has a great cast, but I understand why it's not more beloved. Mamet's script is just a bit too pleased with itself, and the plotting around the MacGuffin is too clever by half. It's the type of storytelling only film dweebs will appreciate. To everyone else, it's much ado about nothing.

The third act also really pulls its punches with a conventional 90s shootout at a crowded event where the "bad guys" get their due and the "good guys" reclaim the MacGuffin. To really work, it probably needed to go all-in on the postmodernism that pokes it head throughout the film.

Great disc, though. I am happy to have it in my collection.
The script was written by J. D. Zeik and Richard Weisz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks