What's new

Popular films that didn't get a follow-up...but should have. (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I can't believe I forgot about Short Circuit 3 : Johnny 5 goes to college

I kid you not.
This was suppose to happen!

Personally, I would have liked to see some type of Short Circuit sequel, with Guttenburg and Sheedy returning and maybe even Cynthia Gibb
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What, no mention of a followup to Remo Williams: The Adeventure Beings? I've been waiting over 15 years to find out how the adventure continues! :frowning:

And I hope Pixar will eventually find a story worthy of Toy Story 3. But since #1 is excellent and #2 is sublime, #3 shouldn't be made unless it can be the best movie known to man, so I'm not holding my breath :)

BretWeaver

Stunt Coordinator
The professional
Ronin
The transporter
LA confidential
Hi fidelity

Dont know how most of those would work as sequels... probably badly, explaining why there are no sequels, but I liked the origionals so much I would flush another 8 bucks down the drain :)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Bret Weaver,

they are filming Transporter 2 as we speak.

I REALLY wish they would do a Naked Gun 4 before Leslie Neilsen goes.

maybe have it where Nordberg is being frammed for murder:)

Johnny_M

Second Unit
Back in the 80s there was a movie called "Inner Space" which left off in a way a sequal could happen, but I guess they gave up that, as its probably been 20 years now.

Johnny

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Wow, glad to see there's much love for a Big Trouble in Little China sequel. There's never a bad time to watch Jack Burton, Egg Shen, Lopan and the rest of the gang. :D

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Off the top of my head:

* Body Double
* The Hobbit (only if P.J. directs it!)
* Time Bandits
* Army of Darkness
* Bubba Ho-tep (would this be possible?)
* Ronin
* BTiLC (but could John Carpenter ever get it right again?)
* Akira

Fun topic!

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Remo... love to see that taken further.

I still love it. It's rather terrible, but it's still fun to watch. Pity they didn't do the sequel.

Something I discovered the other day... did you guys know that "Die Hard" was originally written as a follow-up/sequel to "Commando"? It was re-written when Arnold didn't sign on. :eek: I never knew that... sorry if it's old news. :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I sort of doubt that; it's in the credits as being adapted from a book. Of course, Die Hard 2 is adapted from a completely different book, Die Hard With A Vengeance was a script called "Simon Says" that had nothing to do with the DH characters, and the proposed DH4 is a reworking of a script called "Tears of the Sun" (which is completely unrelated to the movie Tears of the Sun, whose producers bought the name), so that would be par for the course with that series.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Maybe I should have said "originally DEVELOPED as" rather than "written as".

Regardless, I got that tidbit out of IMDB, so it may or may not be accurate. I have no reason to disbelieve it though. :)

Edit to add:

Just pulled up COMMANDO on IMDB.

John Matrix/John McClane?

Interesting....like I said, it's IMDB...but sounds pretty legit to me. Even if it was based on a novel. :)

Also, according to IMDB, "Simon Says" was considered as a third sequel to Lethal Weapon before it became Die Hard: With a Vengeance.

Nifty stuff! :)

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator

I read on the laserdisc jacket for "Die Hard with a Vengeance" that the script started as a sequel to the Brandon Lee movie "Rapid Fire". That, of course, was scrapped after Lee died.

What I heard about the "Tears of the Sun" thing was that Fox owned the rights to the title (have no idea if was actually attached to a movie) but agreed to let it be used for the Bruce Willis movie only if he signed on for Die Hard 4. I don't know how much truth there is to that.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

That was my choice too earlier in the list. It cried out for a sequel.

How about a Romy and MIchelle sequel?

BretWeaver

Stunt Coordinator
Inner space could definetly have a sequel now.. as I recall dennis quaid was in that movie (altho I could be wrong) and would make a perfect *host* for a new inner space adventure.

How about you just hand me a tack hammer so I can go ahdead and self inflict the damage ahead of the filming schedule? :D

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I think just about any movie can be turned into a franchise. It's all a question of the intelligence and ingenuity of the bod writing the format. Most times it's a studio suit trying to do a cash-in job on the cheap - result: cheese.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
There was a HUGE rumor that Labyrinth was going to get a sequel, where Jennifer Connelly, has a daughter(Dakota Fanning) and she reads her mothers diary, and repeats the words that gets her kidnapped by the Goblin QUEEN(Angelica Huston)

Goblin Queen, takes over but still has Bowie, in the Goblin King role.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I would enjoy a Romy and Michele sequel. There was some made for TV movie prequel... but it doesn't seem like it's a good idea.

CLUELESS would have been kind of interesting.

The Faculty might have worked, the original wasn't horrible.

Disturbing Behavior (could have reworked the first one to make a good franchise.)

Cherry Falls

Adventures In Babysitting

When A Stranger Calls/WASC Back

Stay Tuned (would make for an interesting remake, considering the massive change in television since this was released)

Gremlins/Gremlins 2 sequel.

Fright Night/Fright Night 2

My Bloody Valentine

Mimic (a sequel that didn't blow chunks...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks