What's new

Popular films that didn't get a follow-up...but should have. (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'll second Unbreakable

The DOA John Milius/Arnold followup - King Conan

Romero's planned 4th Dead film - Twilight of the Dead

Thats about all I can think of. I'm not really big on sequels unless they have something new to offer.

PerTerje

Auditioning
I just wanted to add that they ARE making a sequel to Sleepy Hollow, called simply The Hollow. It seems to take place in present time, with Ichabod's descendant as the main character. It opens in October of this year.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Spaceballs was suppose to get one, but since John candy died, I heard Mel Brooks doesn't want to do it.

It was suppose to be called
Spaceballs 3: the search for Spaceballs 2

but I've also heard that Brooks was suppose to be putting togther some type of prequel Spaceballs, to make fun of Star Wars prequels.

Ferris is indeed suppose to get one, but I've heard it as Ferris and Cameron working in an office building and their boss is a twin brother of Jeffery Jones.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about the "popular" angle, but here are some sequels that were never made:

Buckaroo Banzai vs. the World Crime League
History of the World Part II
Flash Gordon II
Nightbreed II

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
a while ago, Beetlejuice was suppose to get two sequels.

Beetlejuice 2: goes to Hawaii
Beetle juice 3: Takes over donald trumps building

KID YOU NOT!!!

and of course most of you know aout Ghostbusters 3, the script is written, but Columbia wouldn't buy Akyrod's script

CoreyII

Second Unit
1.) A follow up to John Carpenter's "The Thing"

2.) Any one remember the 80's film The Sword and the Sorcerer starring Lee Horsely(T.V.'s Matt Houston). It was supposed to have a sequel starring its lead character Talon. The sequel was to be called Tales of the Ancient Empire.

3.)Tron

4.)Legend

5.) The Beastmaster

I know Robert said the films had to be box office hits but these films all have strong fan bases except for the Sword and the Sorcerer.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Bite your tongue. I loved the Sword and the Sorcerer when I was 12 or 13...God only knows how good it is now.

Kelly W

Second Unit
Interestingly, the script for the planned Buckaroo Banzai sequel was transformed into Big Trouble in Little China.

I've read this in several places, but here is the blurb from IMDB:

I just thought it was funny since both of these movies have been mentioned in this thread. :)

-Kelly

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

I don't know if that's true... John Carpenter's commentary mentioned that the original story behind BTILC was really a western. And he implied that the writer didn't like the changes Carpenter was making to his story. Perhaps maybe they melded the two stories.... Buckaroo and Big Trouble.

Either way, I would be all over a sequel.

Another I'd like to see is "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" with Steve Martin. Especially since they come out and state that there is to be a sequel at the end of the first film ("with a possible nude scene with Juliette" :) ).

Oh.. I'd like to see a sequel to Return of the Jedi too. ;)

CoreyII

Second Unit

Hey Richard_D_Ramirez,
Thank you for that bit of info. I didn't know the Sword and the Sorcerer was still remembered by fans. It was a fun flick back in the 80's and I know for a fact I would have no trouble watching it today. Grant it, Talon isn't as cool as Conan, but then again no sword wielding hero is (not even Aragorn)except maybe the Shogun Assasin. I'll take bad ass sword weilding heroes anyday over hobbits and arrow shooting adrogynous elves(Legolas).

Hmmm, Im wondering what other B-rated flicks have little fan bases out there, Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared Syn, Yor: The Hunter from the Future, or Ator.

CoreyII

Second Unit
Now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to New Line Cinema's Lost in Space. The film had its problems to be sure, but if they got rid of that CGI monkey the filmmakers would definitely be starting the sequel off on the right foot.

Also, I would love to see Paul Verhoeven come back and do a sequel to not only Total Recall which has been rumored for a while but especailly Starship Troopers. The direct to video sequel has definitely got me concerned. Aw hell, while Im on the subject of Paul Verhoeven he should go on and do another Robocop film just to make up for having the public sit through Robocop 2 and 3.

Finally, I wouldn't mind a sequel to the Fifth Element.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens

I heard this news after the film came out, but Fifth Element WAS suppose to have a sequel.
It was suppose to be called Mr. Shadow
and the reason for the sequel was because Besson wrote such a long script, he was forced to split it into two movies. Much like Tarantino's Kill Bill.

But since he movie didn't really make a profit, I guess they 86'd the sequel

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
eerie, only a couple days ago i was thinking that this would be an interesting idea, and i hadnt heard of this rumor at all. it would either be really good or really bad.

CJ

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
W.D. Richter who directed Buckaroo wrote the screenplay for Big trouble.

Where's The Last Starfighter sequel? I would have loved that back in the 80's.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
How about the Tim Burton Planet Of The Apes? I just watched this yesterday so it's fresh in my mind. I hadn't seen it in a long time... still love the ending. Makes you go WTF but I still like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks