What's new

Polanski arrested in Switzerland (1 Viewer)

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
"I think he will finally get his day in court," criminal defense attorney Steve Cron said, "and there's a good chance his case will be dismissed or the sentence will be commuted to time served."
Time served!? He has served no time. Running and hiding from the law and having hardship because he decided to run does not equal time served. He belongs in jail. I could careless about his so called "masterful" film work (of which it is not IMO), the guy should be sitting in a jail cell right now. It disgust me that Hollywood has honored this guy since his conviction, he dissevers none of it until he pays for his crime.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
"French officials warned him not to go to Switzerland" where did you get that from?
I had seen it on one of the News reports I saw. Like I mentioned, there may have been a changing attitude on him there in order to curry favor with America. It was just speculation I had seen on the news, but perhaps not out of the realm of possibility.

(I'm not sure about France but I've read that there's some debate in European countries about this topic and whether it's "reasonable" or "too emotional" to do away with SoL for crimes such as rape and murder).
There should not be any SoL. It's like someone else suggested, it's like if you manage to ditch the law for so long, you just get to go free. A different story on an SoL might be how much time can elapse between when a crime is committed and when someone is actually charged, and even then that should only be justifyable for petty crime, but as far as what's being discussed here, no way.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by mattCR

In a lot of ways, he's lucky.. he's led his life, made millions in films, still put out his artistic vision while on the lamb, and worked with big names. I don't know, if it happened today, when there was "To Catch a Predator" and the like on the air, he'd be relegated to the bottom rung of society and would live in a house that had to be tagged as a home for a pedophile. I doubt he would have made "The Pianist" that way..

He'll probably get a lighter sentence because of his age. But just being tagged a pedophile and serving a year or two is fine by me.
Is pedophile the correct term here? I always thought that concerned pre-pubescent children.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Is pedophile the correct term here? I always thought that concerned pre-pubescent children.

And 13 qualifies as (?) It's statutory rape, but under the guidelines today, he'd be listed as a sex offender under Meagan's law. He's old, he's not going to prison for long.. but put him on Meagan's List, and there you go.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by mattCR

And 13 qualifies as (?) It's statutory rape, but under the guidelines today, he'd be listed as a sex offender under Meagan's law. He's old, he's not going to prison for long.. but put him on Meagan's List, and there you go.
OK. Registered sex offender for statutory rape. But sex offender =/= pedophile, necessarily. (The whole rectangle is not a square even though a square is a rectangle thing). They're different classes of offenses as far as I've always understood it.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
A different story on an SoL might be how much time can elapse between when a crime is committed and when someone is actually charged

That is all that statute of limitations applies to. Once a charge has been officialy made it can be pursued indefinitely.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There wouldn't be two words of protest in favour of releasing a person if it was an ordinary stiff that raped someone and escaped justice for 30 years before being caught; however, because Roman Polanski is a celebrity and part of the Global Elite community, he somehow should get a pass according to his elitist pals within certain Governmental and Artistic communities. According to the elite, Fame hath its privileges which obviously includes being able to commit rape, statutory or otherwise, because you happen to be, in someone's eyes, a great filmmaker.

I also read that Polanski is now "raring for a fight". I laughed when I read that. Maybe if he had been "raring for a fight" when the original event took place, instead of being a lily-livered chickenshit, he wouldn't have had a 30 year old sword of Damocles hanging over his head, waiting to fall.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Edwin-S

There wouldn't be two words of protest in favour of releasing a person if it was an ordinary stiff that raped someone and escaped justice for 30 years before being caught; however, because Roman Polanski is a celebrity and part of the Global Elite community, he somehow should get a pass according to his elitist pals within certain Governmental and Artistic communities. According to the elite, Fame hath its privileges which obviously includes being able to commit rape, statutory or otherwise, because you happen to be, in someone's eyes, a great filmmaker.

I also read that Polanski is now "raring for a fight". I laughed when I read that. Maybe if he had been "raring for a fight" when the original event took place, instead of being a lily-livered chickenshit, he wouldn't have had a 30 year old sword of Damocles hanging over his head, waiting to fall.
No kidding huh. What a freaking joke.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
If it were you or me we would not be receiving any of this protection and bleeding hearts from public/government. They would lock our ass up and hold us because we have shown we were a flight risk. Regardless that it may get thrown out, he has intentionally avoided arrest for this charge for more than 30+ years. If you're not guilty, don't run. He should receive the same process as you and I would, regardless of the potential outcome of this charge. He ran, hold him, dismiss or go forward, regardless of potential dismissal, he should sit in jail until the court determines where to go from here.

I'm not going to get into my opinion on the crime, but he should not be given any special treatment after avoiding a charge for 30 years.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
One could argue that as far as this latest arrest is concerned, his celebrity is a handicap. How many fugitives overseas would still get this sort of attention from a DA office after all this time and against the desires of the victim?

And this is just classic: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090925/od_nm/us_castration

"WARSAW (Reuters) – Poland on Friday approved a law making chemical castration mandatory for pedophiles in some cases, sparking criticism from human rights groups. Under the law, sponsored by Poland's center-right government, pedophiles convicted of raping children under the age of 15 years or a close relative would have to undergo chemical therapy on their release from prison."

--
H

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Holadem

One could argue that as far as this latest arrest is concerned, his celebrity is a handicap. How many fugitives overseas would still get this sort of attention from a DA office after all this time and against the desires of the victim?
Definitely. If this was some 'regular' guy that fled a rape charge 30 years ago, I doubt anyone would spend the time or effort on tracking him down after all this time.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I saw a lot of sensational reporting on the news last night and this morning before reading this thread.
I wish everyone would calm down and also tone down the rhetoric.

Everyone should watch Marina Zenovich's documentary Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired to get acquainted with the facts:
www.amazon.com/Roman-Polanski-Desired-Pedro-Almod%C3%B3var/dp/B001HB1K46/ref=sr_1_1
She did not get Polanski's co-operation, but she did receive co-operation from the lawyers and the victim herself.

Roman Polanski is not an habitual sex offender and has never committed another crime in his life.
He is a married man raising children of his own under perfectly normal circumstances.
He was tricked into pleading guilty to "unlawful sex with a minor" when the reality was not that simple.
The judge and prosecutor withheld evidence and manipulated evidence in illegal ways to insure a conviction.
The judge was later removed from the bench.

Samantha Geimer, now a middle-aged mother, admitted she was sexually experienced at age 13 before she met Polanski.
The fact that she has forgiven Polanski for what happened is very telling, I think.
She accepted a settlement and has repeatedly asked that the charges be dismissed.

So far, theirs' are the only rational voices I've heard in all this noise.
Let's not try the case in the media, or on Home Theater Forum for that matter.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[SIZE= larger]Leading film-makers join calls for Polanski's release[/SIZE]

Pedro Almodovar, Walter Salles, Bertrand Tavernier and Fatih Akin are among the film-makers that have joined Harvey Weinstein in signing the petition calling for the release of Roman Polanski.

The petition has been launched by the Cinematheque Francaise, the Cannes Film Festival, SACD, the writer’s guild, ARP, the authors, directors and producers association, and Groupe 25 Images, which represents TV directors.

The petition, which is also supported by Wes Anderson and actress Tilda Swinton, states::

“We have learned the astonishing news of Roman Polanski’s arrest by the Swiss police on September 26th, upon arrival in Zurich (Switzerland) while on his way to a film festival where he was due to receive an award for his career in filmmaking.

His arrest follows an American arrest warrant dating from 1978 against the filmmaker, in a case of morals.

Film-makers in France, in Europe, in the United States and around the world are dismayed by this decision. It seems inadmissible to them that an international cultural event, paying homage to one of the greatest contemporary film-makers, is used by the police to apprehend him.
http://www.screendaily.com/5006174.article

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Originally Posted by Richard--W

He was tricked into pleading guilty to "unlawful sex with a minor" when the reality was not that simple.
The judge and prosecutor withheld evidence and manipulated evidence in illegal ways to insure a conviction.

Samantha Geimer, now a middle-aged mother, admitted she was sexually experienced at age 13 before she met Polanski.
The fact that she has forgiven Polanski for what happened is very telling, I think.
She accepted a settlement and has repeatedly asked that the charges be dismissed.

1) But he did have unlawful sex with a minor, so he wasn't quite tricked into the crime...just the admission of his culpability. Correct?
2) So a 13 year old girl who has had sex can't be statutorily raped? That is too close to "she was asking for it" territory for my comfort, Richard. I don't think the details favor RP here.
3) As I said on the first page, the victim CAN NOT dictate the justice system. They can't force a death sentence any more than they can say "let it go". I sympathize with her situation, but she doesn't get to decide whether to pursue the charge.

A charge was made. The man ran from the trial/punishment. If he did not commit a crime, he should welcome his day in court to clear his name. If he did, he should be tried for the crime and serve the punishment.

We're hardly trying the man. Just trying to establish a single standard.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Roman Polanski is not an habitual sex offender and has never committed another crime in his life.
He is a married man raising children of his own under perfectly normal circumstances.
Doesn't matter, raping a child once in your life makes you guilty of raping a child. Society says you pay for that crime, regardless of what you did afterwords. Don't get me wrong, I like the guys films, but frankly, a few good movies doesn't cancel out raping a child.

Quote:
Then he should be re-tried, and either pay for the crime or go innocent. The main thing is, Polanski should answer the charges, and not run away from them.

Doesn't matter what the circumstances were, how sexually active she was or that she is a mum now. Polanski was charged with having sex with a child, he should answer to those charges. If he did that when they were originally issued, the matter would of been dealt with and she could of moved on. By fleeing, Polanski is the one to blame for her to be constantly hounded by them and not being allowed to move on.

I'm sure being the victim and (potential) abuser and wanting the matter dropped is rational for them. It also sets a precedent, a dangerous one that says that as long at the attacker and victim agree that the rape should be ignored, it can be. Nope, Polanski should answer to the crime just like anyone else should.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Can the victim be compelled to testify in this sort of case?

L.A. is really cash strapped right now, (like most of the state) and a long expensive "celebrity" trial going on while other city services are being cut left and right is going anger some citizens regardless of the charges involved. Even more so if Polanski is not convicted.

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee

I saw a lot of sensational reporting on the news last night and this morning before reading this thread.
I wish everyone would calm down and also tone down the rhetoric.

Everyone should watch Marina Zenovich's documentary Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired to get acquainted with the facts:
www.amazon.com/Roman-Polanski-Desired-Pedro-Almod%C3%B3var/dp/B001HB1K46/ref=sr_1_1
She did not get Polanski's co-operation, but she did receive co-operation from the lawyers and the victim herself.

A crime has been committed, he should be punished for it. If nothing else, they could punish him for skipping justice.

If the courts let him off, it shows justice is flawed, and therefore justice can be questioned by wrong doers.

And lets be honest, people are only defending him because he's a respected filmaker. Your average joe down the street would not be let off so easily, or your average hack for that matter.

I do sometimes worry about some people, and their pick and chose methods on who to condemn.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
James,

Let me make this perfectly clear. This is the last time
I am going to issue a warning to you about the manner
in which you respond to the opinions of others.

From this point on I am going to ask you to kindly
report any personal issues you may have to us and
keep your comments about the opinions of others
to yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks