What's new

We Own This City - HBO - New Limited Series from David Simon (2 Viewers)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
The first episode of David Simon's new show, We Own This City, aired on Sunday, April 25, 2022. It's a 6-episode limited series based on the book, also titled We Own This City, by Baltimore Sun reporter Justin Fenton. It's about the corruption of the Baltimore PD's "Gun Trace Task Force". In 2017, all eight taskforce members were arrested (and later convicted) for federal racketeering charges.

Many are calling We Own This City the unofficial "sixth season" of The Wire.

The first episode, like many of Simon's shows, drops us right into the action. Reinaldo Marcus Green (King Richard) directs all six episodes, and, so far, his visual style would slide it nicely with The Wire.

Simon always has a great cast and this is no different. Jon Bernthal is a force of nature, as always, and Josh Charles oozes sliminess. Wunmi Mosaku (Loki, Lovecraft Country) is strong in the first episode as the weary lawyer in the Civil Rights Division of the DOJ. I could go on.

Overall, a solid first episode.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
@Josh Dial - Glad you posted about this program. Somehow I completely missed that this was in the works and started airing.

Considering David Simon's resume, I am not surprised to read your favorable comments on episode one. Kind of tuckered out :emoji_sleepy: so I'll take in a viewing tomorrow.

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
One episode in and it's as fantastic and depressing yet realistic as everything else that David Simon and George Pelecanos have done. I'm hoping that the 'cops & robbers' story and all the comparisons to The Wire actually get people to watch this one.

Jon Bernthal is a force of nature, as always...
I love his Baltimore accent.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Watched episode one earlier today. Wowsers! This was a great opening for the series without a single false note. Loved the gritty storytelling style and the overall aesthetic of the first episode. Bernthal was instantly captivating as Jenkins, commanding our attention in his first scene. Terrific cast of characters and an almost cinema verite style of presenting the series. Damn! - that was top notch.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Can’t wait to see this. EW published a stellar review.

Thanks for posting the link. Loved the tag line under the title. "The Wire was too optimistic, turns out". One of those don't know whether to laugh or cry sentiments I suppose. The review makes an interesting point about other procedurals airing currently (some of which I do view) vs. this series.

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for posting the link. Loved the tag line under the title. "The Wire was too optimistic, turns out". One of those don't know whether to laugh or cry sentiments I suppose.
I think The Wire and most of David Simon's work make an argument that occasionally an individual can have a win (McNulty gets out of something that was literally driving him to drink, Bubbles turning it around) but the institutions and their flaws are never going to change so you can't beat them. Since this one is all about an institution, I don't think there will be too many wins.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
We're two episodes in.

This is masterful television right here. Every creative mind, trade, and performer at the top of their craft. No hyperbole.

The best thing on TV by a country mile.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Viewed episode two a bit earlier. In a word, "tight", like an engine whose parts are machined to an incredible degree of precision. The storytelling style and approach lends the entire enterprise an air of authenticity that is missing from most television that deals with law enforcement.

In particular I am enjoying the fractured narrative as the series weaves a mosaic of interconnecting parts to comprise the whole. One of the more effective bits of storytelling in episode two involves the evolution of Jenkins from a rookie cop to someone who participates in the excesses of the job to someone who promulgates the approach to policing that is one of the focal points of the series.

- Walter.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Three episodes in now and the show continues to be the best thing on TV.

I can't think of a show in recent memory--maybe ever--that moves between this many timelines so effortlessly and effectively.

Also, nobody makes an opening credit sequence like David Simon and his team. It sounds so simple: take a bunch of stills and footage from real life, slapped 'em together and add some music. But like The Wire, Treme, and The Deuce, the credit sequence sets the mood, draws you in, and gets you ready for the episode.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Three episodes in now and the show continues to be the best thing on TV.

I can't think of a show in recent memory--maybe ever--that moves between this many timelines so effortlessly and effectively.

Also, nobody makes an opening credit sequence like David Simon and his team. It sounds so simple: take a bunch of stills and footage from real life, slapped 'em together and add some music. But like The Wire, Treme, and The Deuce, the credit sequence sets the mood, draws you in, and gets you ready for the episode.
I'm about to watch episode three in a few minutes and was just thinking about how good the opening credits are. Semi-related: The obligatory montage set to music at the end of the season finale of Simon and company's shows is always a winner too.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
We're two episodes in.

This is masterful television right here. Every creative mind, trade, and performer at the top of their craft. No hyperbole.

The best thing on TV by a country mile.
I can't disagree with that. Truly a masterpiece.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing that the people reading this thread have already seen them but let me ring the bell for the previous work of the creative team of this show- The Corner, The Wire, Generation Kill, Treme, Show Me A Hero, The Deuce and The Plot Against America are all as or nearly as good as this. If you haven't seen them, watch them.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I'm guessing that the people reading this thread have already seen them but let me ring the bell for the previous work of the creative team of this show- The Corner, The Wire, Generation Kill, Treme, Show Me A Hero, The Deuce and The Plot Against America are all as or nearly as good as this. If you haven't seen them, watch them.
I have never heard of any of these shows other than THE PLOT AGAINST AMERICA which I could only watch the first episode as I never liked it. I may watch the second episode and see if I like it better.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I have never heard of any of these shows other than THE PLOT AGAINST AMERICA which I could only watch the first episode as I never liked it. I may watch the second episode and see if I like it better.
You haven’t heard of The Wire? It was on HBO for 5 years (2003-2008) and was President Obama’s favorite show for a while. Many people, myself included, consider it the best thing that’s ever been on TV.

Show Me A Hero was an HBO miniseries that starred a pre-Star Wars (and Moon Knight) Oscar Issac (and Jon Bernthal in a smaller role), and it’s amazing.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
You haven’t heard of The Wire? It was on HBO for 5 years (2003-2008) and was President Obama’s favorite show for a while. Many people, myself included, consider it the best thing that’s ever been on TV.

Show Me A Hero was an HBO miniseries that starred a pre-Star Wars (and Moon Knight) Oscar Issac (and Jon Bernthal in a smaller role), and it’s amazing.
Working in show business during the day and also most evenings, I never had the time to watch TV. Only watched dvds in my spare time.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Working in show business during the day and also most evenings, I never had the time to watch TV. Only watched dvds in my spare time.
If you're interested in We Own This City with its look at the failures of the police, I think you're likely to enjoy The Wire which takes a similar look at the police but eventually takes a broader look at the many failures (working class jobs, government, schools, newspapers) of American cities.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Well the series is over.

A true modern masterpiece.

In my opinion We Own This City is the finest thing to grace the small screen in years. This is now the new standard by which I'll judge all [police] dramas (fiction and non-fiction alike).

Jon Bernthal will win the Emmy for best actor in a limited series. Everyone else can just stay home that night. The show will win for best limited series.

Just phenomenal.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Here's a link to the official podcast with cast and crew members:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks