What's new

DVD Review All in the Family: The Complete Series DVD Review (1 Viewer)

nobajoba

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
Well, there's no way to no for certain, but the usual list of excuses could be Maude was a couple years newer than AITF, different videotape and cameras could've been used in taping the two shows, the shows could've been handled and stored differently over the years, Sony could've used different methods when remastering the shows for what Shout used or AITF and Maude could've been remastered at different times since AITF has been a syndication mainstay while Maude hasn't... there's no sure way of knowing.[/QUOTE

Okay that helps me to understand. Thanks for the reply.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
When I was growing up, it was only through cable that I recall All in the Family or Maude getting shown where I lived (Chapel Hill, NC). Almost all the other Lear shows got local station reruns in the 1980s and early 1990s by which time they'd migrated to cable. Some of them went away for awhile and came back.

genesim

BANNED
Real Name
John
I think I can answer you both with the same comment...

It's almost 50-year-old videotape. It ain't gonna look no better.

This is completely wrong from a analog broadcast video tape standpoint.

First of all the sound. It was recorded analog. A high encode can and does produce better results than crappy dolby digital mp3 quality that is on DVD. Second broadcast video tape while having standard resolution still needs lots of space to keep a serviceable bit rate.

A 2 hour standard VHS tape needs about 20 gigs to do it justice. Anyone that has done a transfer of analog VHS with stabilization can see a huge difference between the compressed to heck by the numbers information drop.

Broadcast video tape is a lot wider and has a lot more information than the puny 4 gig DVD can hold.

Bluray would absolutely make sense because of the high storage capability and the obvious less need to compress.

I just did a marathon of this set, and it looked amazing to my eyes on an upscaled . I have a crappy Vizio, but I prefer the work it does making the picture better than what I have seen before. More than watchable for sure.

I still get a little angry at this talk that SD content has no benefit when transferred to bluray. The numbers are there and I just went over this kind of argument on another forum. Magnetic tape has so much information, to just line up pixel count is just a small smidgeon of the story.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I still get a little angry at this talk that SD content has no benefit when transferred to bluray. The numbers are there and I just went over this kind of argument on another forum. Magnetic tape has so much information, to just line up pixel count is just a small smidgeon of the story.

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but it's not up to me. It's up to the Blu-ray Disc Association.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
After recent comments by
Rob Reiner that I will not discuss, I
Can no longer stand by this
HTF review.
I renounce its contents,
Every single one of them.

What was I thinking?
After thinking some more, I
Saw the damage I had done and wanted to

Rectify
It somehow.
Goodness knows my
Heart was in the right place at the
Time.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
After recent comments by
HTF review.
I renounce its contents,

What was I thinking?

Rectify
It somehow.
Goodness knows my
Time.

Huh...?

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
After recent comments by
HTF review.
I renounce its contents,

What was I thinking?

Rectify
It somehow.
Goodness knows my
Time.

Well ok then, thanks for vaguebook...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
After recent comments by
HTF review.
I renounce its contents,

What was I thinking?

Rectify
It somehow.
Goodness knows my
Time.

Since we don’t talk politics on here you probably shouldn’t have brought up this old review and renounced it as no one would have thought twice about it otherwise.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I have lived in California, where Mike and Gloria left Queens for, for 10 years and it has been eight since I wrote that review. If I wrote it today, I would be far more critical of the show than I was then.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Maybe so, but without posting anything I tried to find out what you were referencing. (After recent comments by Rob Reiner that I will not discuss...). I'm just left confused and wondering what you're talking about. Nor can I seem to find out.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Maybe so, but without posting anything I tried to find out what you were referencing. (After recent comments by Rob Reiner that I will not discuss...). I'm just left confused and wondering what you're talking about. Nor can I seem to find out.
Exactly.
Why bother bringing a long dead topic up. No one was searching this out.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
After recent comments by
HTF review.
I renounce its contents,

What was I thinking?

Rectify
It somehow.
Goodness knows my
Time.

It's okay. I haven't watched the show in years, but it was one of my favorites and appointment viewing for our family. Regardless of what the Meathead says.

Glenn C.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn
I have lived in California, where Mike and Gloria left Queens for, for 10 years and it has been eight since I wrote that review. If I wrote it today, I would be far more critical of the show than I was then.
Like many around here, I read reviews for iconic or classic TV/movies for the Audio/Video scores. No offense, I can careless about what a particular reviewer feels about the actual TV/movie. This is especially true for an iconic TV series like All in the Family. My opinion about that series has been determined long before you wrote this review. I'm guessing that's true for most of us around here.

AndrewHardy

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh Reynolds
All I can
Read into that
Collection of
Hard to understand
Incomprehensible claptrap
Even though I read it

Way too many time
And
Sadly wasted a great

Deal of time trying to
Elucidate some meaning
And usefulness from
Dealing with this kind of

Wrongheadness was to
Realize that
Obviously
Nothing
Good can come from it

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
And?

What is the point?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
All I can
Read into that
Collection of
Hard to understand
Incomprehensible claptrap
Even though I read it

Way too many time
And
Sadly wasted a great

Deal of time trying to
Elucidate some meaning
And usefulness from
Dealing with this kind of

Wrongheadness was to
Realize that
Obviously
Nothing
Good can come from it

No, he wasn't. Archie was right about Mike; he could not cut it outside of the bubble that is academia, then he couldn't cut it as a professor either if he left his wife and children to live on some commune.

And after Joey was born, he accused Gloria of trying to make him gay through overmothering. Words cannot express my loathing for both the "actor" and the character.

Meathead-free viewing alternatives (I excluded shows not produced by Tandem/TAT/Embassy/ELP even if they had some of the same personnel):

sanfordandsoncompleteseries.jpg

maudecompleteseries.jpg

goodtimes.jpg

jeffersons.jpeg

onedayatatime.jpg

maryhartman.jpg

diffrentstrokes.jpeg

the-facts-of-life-complete-series-on-dvd-dvds-blu-ray-discs-dvds-box-sets-826663155433-4703002...jpg

silverspoons_s1.jpg

227_season1.jpg

mwc.jpg

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This was a tv show.

One just put on the cover of a magazine for its 50th anniversary. All I ever read here are complaints after complaints about TV getting too preachy. Who do you think got the ball rolling on that? In 1960, no one cared who Ward and June Cleaver voted for or even if they voted for the same candidate.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I wish you would just make your point on whatever it is your getting on about with this show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks