What's new

Please name the streaming services we're going to have by 2020? (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm losing track so can we list all the streaming services we're going to have in the next couple of years here?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Well do you believe that consumers are going to support more than 1 or 2 subscriptions a month? I do not.

I see the following surviving
Apple
Amazon
Netflix

The following probably will
Hulu
Disney

Google and Vudu are not subscription services and their walled gardens will survive. Microsoft and Sony's game based services will thrive but they are not movie subscription services.

Everyone else is probably dead men walking or will limp along with minimal subscriber-ship

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Warner's is coming in 2019. Are there any other streaming services coming in the near future?

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
CBS All Access is going on right now too. $4.99/mo. provides access to all of Paramount's back catalog with shows like the original MacGyver, Cheers, Wings, Cagney & Lacey, and all of the various iterations of Star Trek, in addition to entire seasons of currently airing shows and exclusive content. I understand they recently expanded their offerings to include live streaming of sports and local news. Where they are currently established compared to the "coming soon" streaming services, they might survive as well.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
CBS All Access is going on right now too. $4.99/mo. provides access to all of Paramount's back catalog with shows like the original MacGyver, Cheers, Wings, Cagney & Lacey, and all of the various iterations of Star Trek, in addition to entire seasons of currently airing shows and exclusive content. I understand they recently expanded their offerings to include live streaming of sports and local news. Where they are currently established compared to the "coming soon" streaming services, they might survive as well.
If The Twilight Zone ends up being well done, it may very well bode well for the future health of CBS All Access. It would certainly make me reconsider my resolve not to subscribe at the present time.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think there’s the possibility that many of these services can exist at the same time.

I think consumer behavior may change towards subscriptions. I think right now most people either have a service or they don’t, and once the choice is made, that’s that. But with a lot of these platforms offering either rotating selections of content that doesn’t stay on the service indefinitely, and shorter seasons of original content, there’s not necessarily a reason to subscribe year round.

I think we’ll see more people getting comfortable with subscribing for a month or two to watch a season of a show they like, and then dropping those services when the content is over. That’s what I currently do with CBS All Access. I want to see Star Trek but I’m not interested in their other shows. So I subscribe when the season begins and cancel when it’s over.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Hulu
Netflix
CBS
Fox
NBC
ATT
ESPN
Disney
Mexico Soccer Channel
Classic Movies for India excluding Bollywood titels
Left Handed Home Improvement tools
Non disney animation b/w 1950-1953
Alabama Football games for Sept
Yankee Channel for Interleague game and West Coast Games starting after 10pm ET and not covered by another Streaming Service/
The Yankee Stadium Channel for all activity except NYY games (all activity 3 hrs before or after games with be blacked out)
Dallas Cowboy Road football game first 90 minutes or end of 1s Quarter whichever comes first
Dallas Cowboy Road football games 2nd Quarter
Ohio State Marching Band practive sessions excluding practice Dotting of the I

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The more there are, the more people are going to just subscribe one month at a time and watch everything they want at once, but it seems the companies would prefer to keep life-long subscribers whenever possible. May be tricky if every studio ends up setting up their own service and keeps their titles off all the others. With my viewing schedule I've found subscriptions hardly work for me anyways, as I've gone a month without having time to watch enough to get my money's worth for that month. Paying per movie has worked out much better, as I pay nothing for the months I don't have time to watch any of them (I have an extensive media collection which is still my main focus. I liked Netflix when they had many oddball titles that weren't available anywhere else.)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The more there are, the more people are going to just subscribe one month at a time and watch everything they want at once, but it seems the companies would prefer to keep life-long subscribers whenever possible. May be tricky if every studio ends up setting up their own service and keeps their titles off all the others. With my viewing schedule I've found subscriptions hardly work for me anyways, as I've gone a month without having time to watch enough to get my money's worth for that month. Paying per movie has worked out much better, as I pay nothing for the months I don't have time to watch any of them (I have an extensive media collection which is still my main focus. I liked Netflix when they had many oddball titles that weren't available anywhere else.)
While ala cart pricing works for consumers, companies want that guaranteed, repeatable revenue stream from monthly subscriptions. More and more companies are trying to force customers to this model, and not just in the streaming industry. It's happening in other places, such as the software industry.

Personally, I try to avoid the monthly subscription model whenever possible. I don't do Netflix, and only do Amazon Prime because I use enough of all the different benefits provided. I wouldn't have a membership for streaming alone. Those monthly subscriptions fees would really add up if I joined all the ones who have been pestering me lately - - Hulu, Netflix, Adobe, SiriusXM, OnStar, Quicken, etc.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
All I've heard of that I MAY enjoy using in the upcoming couple of year would be Disney's offering.

Other than that I'm staying with Netflix (free with TMO) and Hulu for now. Problem with having all these companies splintering off it that by the time you subscribe just to watch a handful of shows I'd be better off going back to Directv and getting a house full of DVR's with access to every channel out there. For now we're ok with the offerings we have now and we're paying a fraction of what DTV was asking us per month when we cut the cord.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
There are two paths that could happen:
1.) All the smaller subscriptions die and only a few big ones survive. This means Streaming will not completely overtake Cable/Satellite TV as the large streaming services like Netflix are not capable of offering everything cable offers by themselves.
2.) More and more streaming services continue to emerge. Eventually take over Cable/Satellite TV and then start to merge and offer cable like packages and slowly raise their pricing until they eventually reach cable/satellite pricing and become the new cable/satellite.

My prediction is number 2

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(This may sound really really silly).

I've been using this current explosion in vod/streaming services as an excuse to NOT watch as many tv shows and movies.

I restrict myself to subscribing to at most only one flat rate streaming/vod service at a time. (Currently I'm not subscribed to any).

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I only have Netflix and Prime (but that's mainly for two day shipping, etc.). I had thought about going with Filmstruck but that thought is now dead. The only reason I'll subscribe to any other services is if they offer a wide variety of classic films. I'd honestly drop Netflix but for my kids liking a lot of their cartoons (and my wife enjoying a lot of their original content). I really could care less about it.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
At the rate things are going, we'll have the Star Wars Network, the Star Trek Network, The Batman Network and so on

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks