What's new

Pioneer USB input (1 Viewer)

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if someone who has the vsx-45tx receiver could tell me exactly what the manual says about the usb input. I have just ordered one and have been trying to think how best to utilize it for mp3 playback (this isnt a question of "how good are mp3s?"). I need to also know if you can associate an svideo input with this.

Thanks, Jason

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Jason,
I don't have the manual in front of me but if you have an S-video output on your PC's video card you should be able to assign an s-video input to it(can't remember for sure). Also, when you hook it up to the usb port, Windows XP shoud recognize it as a USB Audio Device. You can switch to usb on the 45tx just like you would to any input such as cd, dvd, etc. Hope some of this info helps.

Take Care,
Dalton

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
Dalton,
Thanks for the quick reply. If I understand you correctly usb is treated like any other assignable digital input. Does the manual only mention Xp as a source for the usb input?

Also does anyone know if it would be better to use the usb input or the optical input via a sound card. Thanks Again!

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Jason,
The manual specifically addresses Windows XP but says that the USB connection will work with Windows 98 or higher(no Win95)operating systems. Also, the usb port can receive only 2 ch. audio. Once you connect it to the PC you should be able to find it in Device Manager under Sound, Video and Game controllers. Also, under USB Contollers it will be listed as USB Composite Device. The manual goes on to tell you how to playback MP3 files. That's about all it has on USB.
Dalton

Garth

Auditioning
Jason,
I have the PDF of the 45tx manual if you want I can email it to you. I've been studying it waiting for my 45 to come in.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
How far away is your PC to your receiver? USB has a limited distance threshold.

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
Camp,
That is a big part of the problem because it would require a 30+ft usb cable. I have the same problem if I buy a really nice sound card and an optical cable. Not to mention this solution gets very expensive very quickly.

What I am thinking of is building a component style pc, similar to a HTPC, but only using it as a music server. I am ripping my cds at the highest quality that I could find. These are 2-3 times the size of the mp3s that people download. I am hoping by going through the usb that I can come close to cd quality because I am remaining in the digital domain.

My problems so far with this project...
1. How do I choose songs from the play list?
A. A video card with an S-video out and a wireless mouse is the best thing I can think up so far.

2. The case?
A. I have not found anything that I like so far. I am very cautious about buying something over the net from a foreign source. I also need to make this silent.

Well I will keep you guys updated on how this goes. I am still trying to figure out how to get that .pdf file because my email wont let me receive such a large download.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Jason,
I use a Hercules GameTheaterXP soundcard to feed mp3s to my HT (30 feet away). The GameTheaterXP has a coax digital output and the cable run is actually much longer than the 30 feet since it runs up to my attic and down into my HT (I'd guess the run is about 50'). There is no signal loss whatsoever.
The bad part of my set-up is that I have to select playlists at my PC (in another room). I've gotten used to this set-up but it certainly could be more convenient. However, considering it cost me less than $60 for all the cable and wall jacks I tend to overlook the inconvenience. Had I gone with optical cable this project would have been far to expensive to be worthwhile.
The best option I've yet seen is the new SliMp3 player. http://www.slimp3.com/. With this cool device all you need to do is run Cat5 cable from your PC to your HT (which I already have). It comes with a remote and has a great screen giving you access to all the music on your hard drive. It has support for playlists (you can even make your own playlists with the included remote). Wiring with Cat5 is cheap and easy...the only problem is the Slimp3 unit costs $200.
The Slimp3 vastly superior to devices like the Audiotron (which I've owned and returned).
Are you using LAME to encode your mp3s? What settings are you using? I recommend VBR with a 192khz minimum. My own ears haven't been able to distinguish from higher settings.
If you decide to go the USB route (which I wouldn't recommend) here's some distance info I found on the usb.org website:
Q4: How far away from a PC can I put a USB device?
A4: With the maximum of 5 hubs connected with 5m cables and a 5m cable going to your full speed device, this will give you 30m of cable (see section 7.1.19 for details). With a low speed device, you will be able to get a range up to 27m, depending on how long the device's cable is. With a straightforward cable route, you will probably be able to reach out 25m or so from the PC.

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
Camp,
I will take a serious look at what you are suggesting with the slimp3 device. I have to run some more cat5 soon anyway seeing as how xbox is going online.

I am using what my program calls "perfect" as quality. Bitrate is 320 kbs.
Jason

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Jason,
I assume that's a CBR (constant bit rate)? If so, that's a waste of space. I also doubt whether your program is using the LAME mp3 encoder.
Encoding mp3's with LAME is really the only way to go (if quality is your goal). Nothing else comes close. LAME is also free. Using a variable bit rate (VBR) allows the encoder to use more or less compression based upon the complexity of the passage. In other words, you get the best possible sound and use less space. You can read up on LAME here:
http://www.mp3dev.org/mp3/
http://home.pi.be/~mk442837/
Two easy to use encoders/rippers that utilize LAME are CDex & Exact Audio Copy. Both are free and highly recommended. CDex is a bit easier to use but EAC does a better (though slower) job of ripping songs from CD.
http://www.cdex.n3.net/
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
Camp,
On the program I am using there is something called "LAME configurator" It is under this mode that I am able to select "perfect quality" as my format. Is this similar to what you are talking about? Jason

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Everytime I encoded a mp3 with VBR I always got unwanted clicks during the songs, they weren't there when I did constant bit rate only with variable but they might've fixed that by now.

Daniel Smith

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Jason,

What software are you using?

DamielSmi,

I would ask you the same question. Not all encoders (and rippers) are equal. I suggest you use EAC (link above) and you will get no problems. Read the info at the link to find why it's superior to alternatives.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Cool...it'll do LAME encoding if you have the 5.0.4 update. Download the update here: http://www.poikosoft.com/download.html#UPDATES
The thing I don't think it'll do is extract audio files from CD as well as something like EAC (link above). I'd suggest you try both with the same LAME settings and see if you can hear a difference.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
I just remembered, MLP Lossless Compression uses VBR as part of their compression scheme. I use SoundjamMP or did; I tried with that and had the popping prob and never went back. I'll have to give it another shot whenever I get my computer fixed.

Daniel Smith

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks