What's new

Pink Floyd said to reunite for Live 8....Really! (1 Viewer)

Ed E Lee

Agent
Sadly, I already knew that MTV/VH1 were going to butcher it. Haven't they done it for everyone else?

For as much as I find AOL annoying for pretty much everything about itself, they made up for it for not screwing with the Live 8 experience... esp. w/ PF.

Thank you AOL. For once.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Floyd were spectacular. I feared it would be like LZ at Live Aid, but they were on their game.

As for MTV...they have exceeded my worst fears. It almost looked like they were going to leave Floyd unmolested, but NOOOOOOOO. Tony-B...I think you have captured my views perfectly, right down to the last Peckerhead:D

Thank God for Tivo. I was out most of the day, so I got to blast through most of the crap, and since I caught up with real time when Macca came on, I decided to take a break, and will watch the rest later.

But really, what could MTV have been thinking?

Brian

JordanS

Second Unit
As a 23 year old Floyd Fanatic...who has never been blessed seeing them....I am ecstatic.

However, the f*ck up with Comfortably Numb has me climbing up the walls in anger.

Furious Anger.:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
Why the fuck since Viacom owns so many damn channels, break up the feeds by station....MTV has Philly....VH1 has UK, and so on?

Runar_R

Second Unit
Sad to hear about MTVs treatment of Live8. Particulary when considering the big part they played in the original Live Aid....

I have to say Pink Floyd gave me goosebumps with "comfortably numb". And I've never even liked them!
:)
I had to take a project in 9th grade on "the wall", and it lasted 3-4 months. Enough to kill off all interest.
Now, I feel I have some rediscoving to do
:)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Maybe this whole Roger Waters reunion thing was a hoax! Those stupid Pink Floyd peckerheads tricked us! :angry:

:laugh:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
They did indeed. I thought ABC's coverage was top-notch, even if it was selective. The only thing that pissed me off was the local news station cut in with breaking news two-thirds of the way through Pink Floyd's "Money".
Decades since playing together and they were one of the best sounding sets of the show.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
I had to go to work this afternoon, so I caught about 20-25 minutes total. Tell me the MTV coverage wasn't this pisspoor 20 years ago. I mean, geez, Will Smith's performing in the background and there's inane host banter? Not that I'm a huge Big Willie fan, but I hadn't heard Summertime in years and I'd have liked to see that performance.

(I would have thrown stuff at the TV if I'd have been watching during the Floyd set, though...)

I did like the Geldof verbal bitchslapping and the trotting out of the Ethiopian girl, though. Powerful stuff.

The BBC/VH1 special put together for Live Aid's 10th anniversary (I think it was something like six hours and almost entirely made of performances) was far, far better than this.

I do hope there's a sweet DVD/CD set on the way for Christmas...

Clint B

Second Unit
Watched bits and pieces of coverage today...based on the timetables I saw online (or at least my reading of them, which may have been wrong), I almost thought MTV/VH1 weren't going to show Floyd. I'm glad they did, but I'm also hacked off that they cut away during Comfortably Numb. I'll look to see if I can find it "unmolested" on AOLmusic. I thought Floyd were really on their game, and they looked very happy to be there (especially Roger...quite a surprise!).

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
ABC let a "fuck" go by? Too bad I missed it, but I'll check my tape later on. I wonder if they'll get fined for indecency.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just looked up "Man on the Moon" in AOL's archive. For the first time in a long time, REM looks like they're having some fun. I miss REM with some vigor to them.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Floyd was great, saw it live on AOL then caught the tape playback on CTV, which was piped through the PA in Barrie for fans.

It was fabulous and tragic all at once becuase I felt sorry for Roger, whose voice has really suffered over the years, even as far back as the 1990 Wall show in Berlin.

It was the highlight of my day, but a lot of the old guard just don't have the vocal control anymore - Deep Purple was great musically, but vocals BAD, and even Sir Paul has trouble with those high notes, but refuses to drop the key like so many others these days - even Madonna (Ray Of Light, anyone??)!!

Annie Lennox is always memorizing even when she tre-arranges her old material, it doesn't sound pastiche and forced. Hmmm, Pet Shop Boys still sounded like Pet Shop Boys!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
How does one see just the Floyd show on AOL.com without having to sit through hours of stuff before it?

Same with other bands.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Keith, were Pet Shop Boys on the AOL global feed or CTV? Which songs did they perform?

~T

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

At least you got to see them! The BBC in its infinite wisdom showed a 30 second clip of their concert. Why PSB weren't on the UK bill is baffling. They've had more hit UK hit singles than any other band in history and are still relatively trendy. Instead, we got several bands that only music journalists like. It's worth looking at the audience shots during some of the trendier bands' performances - beyond the first three rows (who let's face it will dance to anything), try to spot anyone dancing.

Also, whose bright idea was it to have so many rap acts? This isn't an attack on rap music, but it's got to be said that more than any other type of pop music, it's a love it or hate it thing. At least with mainstream pop, even if you're not keen, chances are that it won't totally offend.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
In the search bar in the top left corner, just type "Live 8" and make sure "songs/videos" is selected. All of the performances that are available on demand will come up, in AOL media format only. Unfortunately, Pink Floyd is available through the complete feed only, atleast so far:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks