What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release PHE Press Release: Indiana Jones 4-Movie Movie Collection (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Seems pretty crappy of them to just repackage the old blu-rays after the press release said they were doing further restoration and A/V enhancement on the films. I guess you're only allowed to enjoy the fruits of those labors if you're fully 4K capable.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am waiting to see what Paramount does regarding individual releases and 4K streaming before buying anything. I really only like the 1st and 3rd films in the series anyway, so I don't want to spend $80 for the UHD set.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I'll be happy to get the 4K set. I would never play the Blu-rays (which I already own anyway).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll be happy to get the 4K set. I would never play the Blu-rays (which I already own anyway).
I would never play the Blu-rays either as I have that previous BD set. However, it’s a matter of principle to me because I don’t like what Paramount is doing here.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I have to agree that Paramount is doing an awful job here. This could very well be the last physical media release of the Indiana Jones films (not counting the forthcoming film) and they've essentially done nothing to make the release special. Releases like this should be definitive, but this is anything but.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have to agree that Paramount is doing an awful job here. This could very well be the last physical media release of the Indiana Jones films (not counting the forthcoming film) and they've essentially done nothing to make the release special. Releases like this should be definitive, but this is anything but.

Sam,

I agree with you.

I am not defending Paramount on this disappointing release.

Part of me, however, sees that there's just no budget nor motivation to do the kind of Special Editions we remember from well over a decade ago.

The studios and their Home Entertainment divisions are a shell of what they once were. I just learned a week ago that Brenda Ciccone is no longer with Paramount and she was one of the people that understood and drove their Home Entertainment division.

It took Paramount forever to consider releasing their catalog to Blu-ray because they were apprehensive about how well it would sell in a dwindling market. When they finally started opening the flood gates over a year ago, there was criticism over some of their release decisions.

I have a feeling that across the board, the people running the Home Entertainment departments are less interested in providing collectors a healthy product and more interested in the bottom line -- again, in a market that has continued to dwindle.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I have a feeling that across the board, the people running the Home Entertainment departments are less interested in providing collectors a healthy product and more interested in the bottom line -- again, in a market that has continued to dwindle.

I'm sure you are right. But if it was me, I'd want to understand the audience for what I'm selling, and appreciate that home theater enthusiasts may be willing to support a product (and spend a bit more) if it met their criteria as a special release. So, okay, maybe they don't have the budget to commission a new special feature, but I'd make sure that all the old features were included (especially stuff that was overlooked before, like the 1981 TV specials), as well as trailers, and have them all in HD. Really make it an archival edition. Put it all together in a package that suited the legend and you might just move the needle a bit. Of course, put out barebones editions of the individual films for the casual collector too.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm sure you are right. But if it was me, I'd want to understand the audience for what I'm selling, and appreciate that home theater enthusiasts may be willing to support a product (and spend a bit more) if it met their criteria as a special release. So, okay, maybe they don't have the budget to commission a new special feature, but I'd make sure that all the old features were included (especially stuff that was overlooked before, like the 1981 TV specials), as well as trailers, and have them all in HD. Really make it an archival edition. Put it all together in a package that suited the legend and you might just move the needle a bit. Of course, put out barebones editions of the individual films for the casual collector too.

Absolutely correct. Again, I am with you on this, Sam.

However, Paramount knows they could do bare minimal with this release by spending less money from their budget and the same amount of people would buy it.

It's really sad. Everyone we knew from Fox, Paramount, Warner, and Sony is all gone. One of the last things Ronnee Sass (of Warner Bros.) posted on her Facebook page prior to her death was that she no longer recognized her old studio. Too many takeovers and mergers. The people that really cared about the collector and knew their library are all gone.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Digital copy codes are nice to have, but I wouldn't repurchase something I already own just to get them. If all somebody wants is digital copy codes, they can just as well make a purchase directly from a digital retailer.

To that end, I'll keep my existing pre-order of the new Blu-ray set with digital copy codes for the time being. If it hasn't dropped in price by the time its release nears, I'll cancel it and pick up the old set instead.

Ron is right. The number of people who want Indiana Jones on 4K and will boycott the release because it is not the most complete version possible is insignificant to Paramount. Therefore, they can put out whatever they want and they know the fans will buy it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Digital copy codes are nice to have, but I wouldn't repurchase something I already own just to get them. If all somebody wants is digital copy codes, they can just as well make a purchase directly from a digital retailer.

To that end, I'll keep my existing pre-order of the new Blu-ray set with digital copy codes for the time being. If it hasn't dropped in price by the time its release nears, I'll cancel it and pick up the old set instead.

Ron is right. The number of people who want Indiana Jones on 4K and will boycott the release because it is not the most complete version possible is insignificant to Paramount. Therefore, they can put out whatever they want and they know the fans will buy it.
I was talking about those folks because I thought it goes without saying that buying them digitally on iTunes and Vudu would be much cheaper than buying these Blu-rays again.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Speaking for myself, if a studio released a digital-only 4k version of a film I owned on blu-ray, I'd skip it. While I would get (and will get) the Indy 4k discs (thus proving Ron's point), I would not buy a digital-only copy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Speaking for myself, if a studio released a digital-only 4k version of a film I owned on blu-ray, I'd skip it. While I would get (and will get) the Indy 4k discs (thus proving Ron's point), I would not buy a digital-only copy.
Why? I have plenty of 4K digitals that haven't been released on 4K disc.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I can't speak for @Sam Favate. But I will choose physical media over digital copies any day. I'll redeem a digital code if it is included, but I would prefer an actual disc.

There have been a couple movies recently where the physical media release was a DVD and the digital release was in HD and I still chose to buy the DVD.

Having it permanently on a disc that I physically possess is important to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks