What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: Escape From L.A. (1996) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
So I did a little checking:

Audio #1
Format : DTS XLL
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel layout : C L R Ls Rs LFE

Shouldn't it read L R C LFE Ls Rs?

This makes all the disc already pressed useless, and I don't think we will be seeing corrected versions this this week or the next, probably in april or may.

Last edited:

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Yeah....even as an avid fan of this sequel (and, of course, the original), I'll be sticking with my Scream Factory Blu-ray edition. They did a great job cleaning up that print, especially compared to the artifact-riddled non-anamorphic DVD from Paramount I was holding onto for years (finally dumped it for the BD), and the transfer on that disc (struck from a new 4K scan of the interpositive) was even "darkened" a bit purposefully by Scream, rendering the god-awful CGI work less cringe-worthy to look at. It really was an ingenious move that improved the picture quality significantly, at least to my eyes.

I just didn't see the value in a UHD/HDR transfer of this title, especially since most of it takes place in the dark of night (albeit in the sometimes wildly-lit, hooker-and-junkie-populated streets of a burned-out L.A.).

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Is there really anything to be gained though from Friday the 13th in 4K? They were all shot on crappy stock and Part III's main gimmick won't be available for use either.

Last year's Shout set used 4K transfers for the first four movies so 4K transfers exist for half of the Paramount movies. By no means should anyone take an AV review from me but I did think those transfers looked better than the previous Blu-rays. I can't imagine Friday The 13th would be the centerpiece of anyone's UHD collection but if the independent Halloweens 4 and 5 have been released and were generally praised, I can't imagine that the F13s wouldn't benefit similarly.

Also, it's worth noting that horror fans are easy marks who buy the same movies over and over again. I know because I'm one of them. :)
Hey....

I'm STILL rockin' these classic films via Paramount's original From Crystal Lake to Manhattan DVD set!

1645831316008.png
1645831327472.png

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
FYI, Paramount told me they'll send "fixed" copies out automatically to critics like me.

No idea if that means we'll get them sooner than actual purchasers, later or at the same time.

No ETA from Paramount on when to expect copies.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Here's the Mondo collectors set coming soon, Damn, just give me the MOVIE!!! just more crap to step on in the middle of the night, LOL!!!
kurt russell call me snake GIF

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Here's the Mondo collectors set coming soon, Damn, just give me the MOVIE!!! just more crap to step on in the middle of the night, LOL!!!
I knew it was a matter of time, after Studio Canal's European releases...

They'll probably put out their own UHD release of L.A. after this, too; after so many people bought version after version of NY on Blu-ray (first MGM's initial release, then the multiple releases Scream did including the steelbook, a la the Halloween sequels).

To be honest, as much as I love EFNY -- and I do love it -- I'm still perfectly fine with my Special Collector's Edition two-DVD set from circa 2004 or so; this film doesn't need to boast 2160 resolution with HDR, IMHO, as it always had a low-budget gritty look (and it takes place, for all intents and purposes, over the course of a night).

This Collector's Edition set is really nice, coming with a Snake comic book and the deleted opening Federal Reserve robbery scene that Carpenter cut but which never made it into the final film.

1646090555399.png
1646090580749.png
1646090615795.png

There was even a nice little "message" from Carpenter himself on this edition, included on one of the fold-out panels...very cool touch I thought.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad that Shout rolls out the red carpet on some of their releases but I'm good with just ordering the standard release from Amazon and saving a few bucks. I don't want the pins, I don't need the poster and I already have the full soundtrack (not just the theme on a 7 inch) on vinyl and CD but for those that want that stuff, I hope they enjoy it. :)

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I want to get the full Carpenter soundtrack to EFNY on vinyl, as well -- The Duke's Theme must sound awesome!

Eric Meske

Stunt Coordinator
Just FYI, I finally received a response from Parmount customer service that they are now shipping replacement 4K discs for Escape from L.A.:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for providing the requested information. We have everything we need to process your request and have passed it along to our fulfillment center.

Our fulfillment center has begun to ship replacement discs to customers. Due to the fact that our fulfillment center will be overseeing delivery we will not be able to offer tracking information in this scenario.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Sincerely,

Customer Service - Paramount Home Entertainment

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
71SFVsN1ylL._SL1500_.jpg

Paramount re-issue at a hard-to-resist price

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
View attachment 215652

Paramount re-issue at a hard-to-resist price

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Did the original UHD go out of print already, or is this just a random reissue to include all three formats?

Weird that they'd release a DVD platter with this; is the DVD a new anamorphic transfer based on the 4K scan or something? I remember having the non-anamorphic release from Paramount, which I sold for the Scream Factory Blu-ray, and it was almost a night and day upgrade (the non-enhanced DVD was riddled with aliasing and other issues); did Paramount redo the DVD?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This is a way for Paramount to clear out excess inventory at a reasonable price to the consumer - by including all formats at what is basically a DVD-only price, this is meant for the budget minded consumer. They are not making new inventory or creating new masters for this series of repacks.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
This is a way for Paramount to clear out excess inventory at a reasonable price to the consumer - by including all formats at what is basically a DVD-only price, this is meant for the budget minded consumer. They are not making new inventory or creating new masters for this series of repacks.
So the included DVD is the non-anamorphic transfer of the film? I don't believe there was ever an anamorphic release of the title (at least in Region 1).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It would almost certainly be the existing DVD so if that’s what the DVD was then that’s what’s gonna be in the set.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
It would almost certainly be the existing DVD so if that’s what the DVD was then that’s what’s gonna be in the set.
Interesting; it's a bit unfortunate, because the transfer wasn't that pretty to look at...but then again, the Blu-ray and UHD more than make up for it (based on what I saw with Scream Factory's 1080p version, and which I own).

While I realize and acknowledge that this was a release aimed at budget-minded consumers/enthusiasts, it still seems odd to include a generations-old-now non-16:9-enhanced standard definition version with this pack; I mean, I suppose I can understand a Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray together (there are actually some 4K UHD releases in which I personally prefer watching the included 1080p Blu, including the original Evil Dead, for a number of reasons), but to lump in a non-anamorphic DVD?

Unless they're really that desperate to get rid of leftover stock.

Edit: The non-anamorphic DVD I owned of EFLA didn't look like the one in this set; it is possible they changed the artwork for a reissue, but the one I owned had a chrome-ish label side.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks