What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: Escape From L.A. (1996) (4k UHD) (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Just like this particular disc should be until Paramount fixes it! :laugh:
I did do a quick sampling of the disc, and while I’m not overly familiar with the film, was hearing oddities. Front stage very centered, with very active sides and surrounds.

As to a 4k presentation, there’s very little true 4k resolution to the image, the darkness of which seems to be helped by HDR.

Strangely, no obvious extras.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I did do a quick sampling of the disc, and while I’m not overly familiar with the film, was hearing oddities. Front stage very centered, with very active sides and surrounds.

As to a 4k presentation, there’s very little true 4k resolution to the image, the darkness of which seems to be helped by HDR.

Strangely, no obvious extras.

There's a trailer and that's it - same as the Blu-ray. Paramount rarely creates new content for anything other than their "Presents" line, and even then, it's usually just that short "Filmmaker Focus" featurette.

The dialogue all comes from the rear channels - primarily rear right, as Neil noted.

Surrounds way too dominant in general. Really sounds like front and rear swapped.

It's possible the audio improves/changes as the movie goes, I guess - after 5 minutes, I didn't bother, as the problems were so obvious that it made no sense.

Also seems unlikely the bad audio is just for the first 5 minutes and then it gets better!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There's a trailer and that's it - same as the Blu-ray. Paramount rarely creates new content for anything other than their "Presents" line, and even then, it's usually just that short "Filmmaker Focus" featurette.
Paramount has had that lone extra since the laserdisc came out 25 years ago. At least, they're consistent.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Matt Brighton confirmed that his copy sounds like mine: messed up!

Some Youtube dude "reviewed" the disc and praised the audio.

Either he got the one "good copy" or... come to your own conclusions.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Sad face because I had to cancel my Amazon order because of this.

Nah - go with happy face that you don't have to worry you'll be sent a messed-up copy! :D

Some reviews think the sound is awesome sauce, which I find tough to explain.

Since Paramount acknowledges an issue, this implies it's not just some discs that were bad for whatever reason.

So why do some think the audio is great?

Dunno. Maybe their receivers are altering the signal? I saw one review that mentioned the receiver used Neural X, and it's possible that altered the soundscape.

I know when I've used Neural X, it's changed the original soundfield pretty considerably - which is why I never activate Neural X or any added processing when I review.

Anyway, let's be happy that Paramount got wind of the issue before 2/22 so people don't have to bother with annoying exchange programs! :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Just got this from Paramount:

"It has come to our attention that there is an English audio encoding error on the new 4K Ultra HD Disc of John Carpenter’s Escape from L.A. Paramount Home Entertainment has corrected the issue and is immediately creating new discs, however the initial shipment of discs has reached some retail outlets. Fans who purchase a disc with a white UPC barcode on the package and would like a replacement should email [email protected] for instructions. The corrected product will be shipped free of charge. If your disc package has a yellow UPC barcode, then it is the corrected version and you do not need a replacement."

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Too bad they couldn’t head off all the defective copies at the pass before they hit retail. Another disc replacement program rears its ugly head.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Too bad they couldn’t head off all the defective copies at the pass before they hit retail. Another disc replacement program rears its ugly head.

At least this one seems likely to be less of a problem than the others because fewer copies will hit the shelves.

Most purchasers will never see the messed-up version!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Some reviews think the sound is awesome sauce, which I find tough to explain.

Since Paramount acknowledges an issue, this implies it's not just some discs that were bad for whatever reason.

So why do some think the audio is great?
Probably watching with a sound bar or just TV speakers.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Probably watching with a sound bar or just TV speakers.

Man, I'd hope that critics writing for sites like mine have actual surround systems, not just a soundbar!

I already feel sheepish I "only" have 5.1 and not Atmos! Just can't make Atmos work in my TV room! Sigh...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Just got this from Paramount:

"It has come to our attention that there is an English audio encoding error on the new 4K Ultra HD Disc of John Carpenter’s Escape from L.A. Paramount Home Entertainment has corrected the issue and is immediately creating new discs, however the initial shipment of discs has reached some retail outlets. Fans who purchase a disc with a white UPC barcode on the package and would like a replacement should email [email protected] for instructions. The corrected product will be shipped free of charge. If your disc package has a yellow UPC barcode, then it is the corrected version and you do not need a replacement."
Smart means of identification. Kudos to Paramount.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Just received my copy from Amazon and it has the white UPC barcode so will email Paramount for replacement.

That was inevitable.

Paramount only found out about the issue when I alerted them 9 days before street.

No way they could've fixed the problem, gotten new discs pressed, packaged them and gotten them to retailers by 2/22.

I'm honestly surprised that Paramount didn't cancel the 2/22 street date, recall the discs and fix them before they got to market.

I mean, this isn't some minor glitch.

Maybe they just went "bottom line" and figured it'd be cheaper to deal with replacements.

After all, not everyone who buys the 4K will bother to get the replacement, so financially, it's probably gonna save them $$$ to do it this way.

Seems like bad faith, though: knowingly allowing flawed product to be sold.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Seems like bad faith, though: knowingly allowing flawed product to be sold.
Almost every company issuing physical media seems to think this is perfectly fine. They'd much rather replace a handful for those that complain than discard the entire manufacturing run and start again.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Almost every company issuing physical media seems to think this is perfectly fine. They'd much rather replace a handful for those that complain than discard the entire manufacturing run and start again.

Coming into this thread to comment for the first time. You are spot on with that. As many of you that are complaining about a legitimate issue, there are probably just as many (if not more) who will buy the disc and never notice. So, Paramount is probably thinking it is better off appeasing the few.

Do most studios generally recall all discs for issues like these anyway? I always thought they simply opened up a replacement program and let the initial batch sell out before putting corrected versions into the retail stream.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Coming into this thread to comment for the first time. You are spot on with that. As many of you that are complaining about a legitimate issue, there are probably just as many (if not more) who will buy the disc and never notice. So, Paramount is probably thinking it is better off appeasing the few.

Do most studios generally recall all discs for issues like these anyway? I always thought they simply opened up a replacement program and let the initial batch sell out before putting corrected versions into the retail stream.

I guess, but it seems like usually the problem isn't detected until the discs are already out there.

The "Hard Day's Night" 4K issue wasn't detected until the disc was on shelves, for example, and I think that was the same for the "Vampire Lovers" BD missing a few seconds of footage.

That said, I admit I'm not sure about the timelines of other recent "messed up releases" like the "Citizen Kane" 4K or the "Road Warrior" 4K - I thought those issues weren't noticed until after street date, but I might be wrong.

But yeah... it's cheaper for them to put out the flawed product and fix it for those who care.

Seems cynical but it's true.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks