What's new

Phase Tech speakers (1 Viewer)

Doug Fogle

Stunt Coordinator
Okay,what does anyone know about these?Heard the 9.1 today and was very impressed.But $1800 is beyond what I wanted to spend,esp. when paridigm st.60's can be had for about $1200.Still,they were nice-a lot of what I like about paradigm these speakers had too,and after listening to them the monitor9's I have now sound harsh.So I'm in a quandry=do I go for it or stick to paradigm?And does anyone know how the other models in the premer line sound?Should I be looking at them since they're more in my price range? Thanks

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
I currently own some older Phase Tech speakers...I like them very well, I think the tweeter is fantastic on them, and it never seems to get harsh. But I am shopping for new speakers, because some of the drivers are worn out and need replacing, so I decided that right now would be a good time to upgrade.

I think I am going to buy B&W's. The reason being, the treble and midrange...its so smooth. Like I said, The PT's have a great tweeter, but I think they lack a little in the midrange department. I also prefer Paradigms over the PT's...but thats just my personal opinion.

You may want to look into B&W's...for $1200 - $1800 you could get a great set of speakers....perhaps even a used Nautilus set.

JamesCB

Second Unit
I have a pair of the 9.1's and a 3.1 (series II) for my front 3 channels. I originally purchased the 9.1's for a two channel system, but now use them for both music and movies. I have owned several pairs of Phase Tech over the years (Teatro 9T, T-Center, 335ES, PC10.5, PC80, Power 12 Sub, DST Surrounds). All Phase Tech speakers have a very natural, musical sound. No harsh, in your face highs, and a smooth tight low end. The 9.1's are no exception, incredibly accurate speakers. I can distinguish all the seperate instruments in complex songs. You really get more than you pay for. It is little known that Phase Tech is the brand name for American Speaker Systems. This company has been making drivers for over 45 years. They produced drivers for Mcintosh, JBL, and Electrovoice to name a few. One of the few companies which can make their own cabinets and drivers in house.
To sum up, I would suggest to give them a listen again. But its up to your taste, go with what you like.

SteveADavis

Agent
I almost bought a 5.1 set of Phase TEchs. I love them. I got a great deal on some JBL's and went them. I do however plan to upgrade to them soon. Very good soundling speaker. I auditioned the bookshelves, they had incredible bass response and wonderful highs. Just my opinion, but I liked them much better than some of the other speakers double the price.

Doug Fogle

Stunt Coordinator
James,how does the tetro compare to the 9.1? Is it like the difference between Paridigm mon. and reference for example.Also,how is the 3.1 on music?Would 3.1 all around with a good sub work?It's about an hour drive to the nearest dealer.but I think I'll be heading back

JamesCB

Second Unit
Doug,
Sorry I didn't post sooner. The teatro's have what I guess you would call the "Phase Technology Signature Sound". Just a very natural sound with upper range detail. Phase tech makes the sweetest tweeters I've ever heard. The 3.1's sound alot like the 9.1's, hence the perfect choice for my center. There is a slight difference though. The 3.1's don't have the bass extention that the 9.1's do, but there is a little more mid-bass punch, but not so much that male voices sound throaty or heavy. Same depth and detail as the 9.1's for music. A trio of 3.1's would be a great soundstage.
I have never heard Paradigms. No dealers in my area. I understand these are a Canadian brand. Do they sell these in USA? I've never seen them anywhere.

JamesCB

Second Unit
By the way Doug, did you post abut the 9.1's in another forum site? I saw a couple of posts concerning Phase Techs.
Didn't notice the names though. Just wondering.

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
James....I live near Buffalo,NY...and yes, they sell Paradigm out here. There is a place in Hamburg that sells them , as well as "The Speaker Shop", which is in Amherst, on Main Street. The guys at the speaker shop are great to deal with....plus they have alot of high end stuff...Rotel, B&W, Def Tech, MacIntosh, Quad, Loewe, Runco, Denon, etc.

You should check them out.

As for the Paradigms, I think their website has a dealer finder....punch in your zip code and v'oila :)

Doug Fogle

Stunt Coordinator
James,yes I did.Basically,I've been a sponge just trying to soak up as much info as possible.And I've been listening to a lot of speakers.At first I was very intimadated about comparing.very aware of my own ignorance and sure I couldn't do a good job judging.But its funny-the mere fact of listening gives me confidence now-I have definate ideas on what I want.And though I've heard a lot of speakers better than mine,the PT's were the first that made what I've currently got sound bad(mon'9's=paradigm)The tweeter is just so much better on the PT.Could you elaborate on the mid bass punch you mentioned?Thats also a characterestic of paradigm.The 9.1 had very good balance between bass and treble,I thought.Do you lose some of that using the 3.1?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks