What's new

Help choosing amp for rear surround speakers for pioneer Vsx-39tx elite (1 Viewer)

ERCYORK

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
Have pioneer VSX-39TX ELITE
what amp (affordable) would I need to power rear surround Klispsch T30's?
Fronts are Klispsch KG4's
Sides are Pioneer CS 911's
Center phase tech
Powered sub SA-W303
Very confusing trying too figure out amp, pre-amp, integrated, ect any help would be appreciated and valued.
The KG4's I adore the sound but the Pioneer 911's are amazing also. The Svx-39tx is sweet scored a new unopened old stock with remote takes awhile to set up with VCR, blue ray, phono, cassette dual deck and TV though.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What is your target budget? You just need a two channel power amp. Not a preamp or integrated amp. The Klipsch speakers are highly efficient, so you don't need a ton of power. I don't see any kind of 12v trigger connection on that receiver, unless I'm missing it. If it has that, you can connect a cable and the amp will turn on automatically. Otherwise, you'll need to turn it on manually.

External amps don't usually come particularly cheap. Something like the Emotiva A-150 would do fine for you, but I suspect $300 new is more than you want to spend, which is why I'd look at the used market.

ERCYORK

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
What is your target budget? You just need a two channel power amp. Not a preamp or integrated amp. The Klipsch speakers are highly efficient, so you don't need a ton of power. I don't see any kind of 12v trigger connection on that receiver, unless I'm missing it. If it has that, you can connect a cable and the amp will turn on automatically. Otherwise, you'll need to turn it on manually.

External amps don't usually come particularly cheap. Something like the Emotiva A-150 would do fine for you, but I suspect $300 new is more than you want to spend, which is why I'd look at the used market.
That was quick thanks, you lost me at 12v trigger switch. Under 500 but less $ for quality is ways a plus. Did not know if it would be better to match with another Pioneer but really just want sweet sound so brand does not matter. Used is no problem if taken care of. The CS-911's really surprised (pleasant) me. Have used Klispsch since early 70's sold herseys and got the KG4's love them and will have to be removed from my cold dead hands.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Klipsch is a completely different company from the KG4/Heresy days. It used to be a classic made-in-America company. Now it's just part of a global conglomerate.

Look at the back of the A-150. On the left you'll see two connections for the 12v trigger. What that does (if the receiver has them as well) is allow you to connect a basic cable that lets the receiver tell the amp to turn on and off automatically. I don't think your receiver has that, but there are other ways to achieve it with a switched AC output, if the receiver has that. Do NOT connect a power amp to the switched AC output on the receiver, but there is another device you can get to achieve the same result.

There's no need to match brands of speakers to the receiver. Use the speakers you like.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I honestly wouldn't bother with an external power amp for the surround channels. It seems to be a 7.1 receiver and the main channels that use the most power in any surround application is the front three, (Right, Center, Left). I would focus more on if anything getting a three channel for your front three speakers and let the receiver power the rest. I would also swap out your center and rear speakers for Klipsch if you like the sound of Klipsch plus they are more efficient which takes the load off the receiver. It is more important to have matching timber or voice matching speakers all the way around the room, that will improve your sound. You do not have to have the same brand of sub but the rest of the speakers should be the same brand and be as similar as possible. Surrounds do not need the same size bass drivers but same model line sure helps.

I am working on replacing my center channel with a Klipsch center but rest is how it sits! The Klipsch are the best match for my Altec A-7's and the newer Klipsch HF compression horns are not as shrill as they used to be. I am running 11 speakers with my Marantz SR-8012 and it does fine without a power amp. If I added a Emotiva power amp it would be for the front three to give extra power to the surrounds and Atmos height channels.

201900959aaa.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks