Person of Interest Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel
I was hoping that Zoe would have figured a little more prominently in the storyline, but still nice to see secondary characters bumping into the team from time to time.
I find that a lot of times I am posting as much, or more, about where the show is headed as I do concerning what just transpired. I believe that the anticipation of events yet unrevealed is a big part of my attraction to this series. As Adam mentioned, one wonders how John's act of (professional courtesy?) towards one of the henchman from Washington D.C. will play out in the future. I could also envision scenarios where Finch's newly acquired hotel could serve as a venue for future stories. Of course, the Cal Beecher storyline with Carter opens up new possible threads as well. I was kind of anticipating the final reveal of the show based on how earlier shots of that set were composed. Still, a nice way of building anticipation for a future episode.
All in all, an excellent episode.
- Walter.
Yeah, it kind of gave it away and when she spoke I easily recognized the voice.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, the voice was a dead giveaway. Still very effective episode. Was glad Carter got in on the action after all.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
From a little while back, Iain posted...
At least twice I spotted what looked to be a couple of frames of a blue screen with binary code all over them.
I revisited 'One Percent' and found a screen during the first security camera footage at the beginning of the episode, just after the credits. I completely missed this during my two viewings. Good catch. I did a little google research and found this... Person of Interest Code 01 Explanation I would agree that this (the blue screen, not the decoded message) is a subtle indicator of Kara's upload beginning to make itself felt. I'm guessing the blue screens are present in 'Booked Solid' as well, but haven't spotted an instance yet. I'll be revisiting that episode with a buddy this weekend and will see if I can spot the screen(s) on the second viewing. Edit: Did a quick scan of 'Booked Solid' on the DVR and found at least three occurrences (start, middle, & near the end of the episode.) - Walter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Good catch, Iain! And thanks for the follow-up, Walter. Very cool. Interesting that the quote is from Macbeth. I wonder if future examples will be from other words, or if there's a thematic message at play here.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
I wonder if future examples will be from other words, or if there's a thematic message at play here.
Other "messages" have included a screenshot of the CDC's website, and a fact sheet about anthrax (not the band!). I think that's a good indication there is a theme at work.

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
Nice to know I wasn't hallucinating! :) I'm wondering if the glitches/blue screens will start to get more obvious as we progress towards the end of the season.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, that was an unusual episode, wasn't it! A nice change of pace (well except for Amy Acker whom I just don't buy as a badass), and the producers have added another character whom I'm sure we'll see again at some future date.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Great episode, showcasing just how good the showrunners (and writing team) are at crafting interesting characters. I would totally watch a show just based on Shaw and the "other side." Tonight's episode demonstrated how POI is one of the top shows on TV right now.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Josh Dial said:
Great episode, showcasing just how good the showrunners (and writing team) are at crafting interesting characters.  I would totally watch a show just based on Shaw and the "other side."  Tonight's episode demonstrated how POI is one of the top shows on TV right now.
I'd watch a Shaw show as well. Just really well done. The only disappointing thing was that Shaw didn't mention anything about Root. Maybe next time they meet.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
well except for Amy Acker whom I just don't buy as a badass
Amy Acker isn't so much of a badass as she is a psycho with some messed up wiring in that pretty noggin of hers.
The only disappointing thing was that Shaw didn't mention anything about Root.
I am guessing that Shaw's trust issues were the reason that Root wasn't mentioned to Reese and Finch. The episode felt like it was trying to spinoff a series with Shaw. I'm not suggesting that was the actual intent, but that is what it felt like with so much emphasis on her character. Liked the overall tone of the episode. I was a little surprised that experienced individuals like Shaw and Cole would consider human intelligence so reliable. They were questioning the source and perhaps their minds couldn't quite expand enough to consider an alternative like 'The Machine'. Did they establish when Aquino (sp?) was killed in the episode? I'm assuming it was sometime after the Machine was operational and that Control inserted his number into the stream of Relevant targets. I'm not certain that Shahi is the best choice for the character Shaw, but it was a serviceable performance. I believe that the (eventual) affiliation with Reese and Finch might lighten up the character and that Shahi will be a better 'fit' for a slightly less severe character should they go that way with the evolution of her character on the show. Having said that, I have enough confidence in the production team for the show and the talent behind the camera to get a credible Shaw for the show. Will the character evolve is the question for me. Reese was established as a 'protector' in his back story and that has emerged during his affiliation with Finch. Shaw indicated that she was the type of person who felt nothing, so will she remain static or discover some untapped emotions that make themselves manifest as the storyline progresses? Kind of nice to see a reunion of a lot of the guest stars on the episode tonight. An aspect of the show that I always enjoy. - Walter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
An outstanding episode. I knew we were in for something special from the teaser synopsis, and that was confirmed when I saw that series creator Jonathan Nolan co-wrote and directed the episode.
MattH. said:
Well, that was an unusual episode, wasn't it! A nice change of pace (well except for Amy Acker whom I just don't buy as a badass), and the producers have added another character whom I'm sure we'll see again at some future date.
I don't really see Root as a badass, but rather something closer to a femme fatale. She can (and has) killed people, but she's not a physical threat. She triumphs using her wits and the element of surprise. It's no coincidence that she fled as soon as she saw the armed men approaching. In a straight fight, John or Shah or any number of trained killers could take her out no sweat. But she ensures that she never finds herself in a straight fight.
Iain Jackson said:
Nice to know I wasn't hallucinating! :) I'm wondering if the glitches/blue screens will start to get more obvious as we progress towards the end of the season.
Judging by tonight's episode, it sure seems that way. I loved seeing Finch's opening spiel crash and error out in tonight's episode.
Josh Dial said:
Great episode, showcasing just how good the showrunners (and writing team) are at crafting interesting characters. I would totally watch a show just based on Shaw and the "other side."
There were many times during the episode where I felt like I was watching an alternate pilot for "Person of Interest", told from the other side of the coin when it comes to the Machine. It had the same narrative economy of a pilot, it introduced a new protagonist and told a self-contained story. As an episode, it definitely rewards long-time viewers in a multitude of ways, but it also stands alone such that a person who has never seen the show could sit down to watch and become immersed in the story without knowing the back story. The only missing piece was the reveal of the Machine itself. It reminded me a lot of the episodes "Doctor Who" did once a series where the Doctor only had a glorified cameo in the story so that they could shoot two episodes at once. Some of those episodes, like "Blink", are among the best. I also liked the reveal at the beginning that the "relevant" side of the Machine has a completely different interface from the side we usually see week to week. So far the color coding seems to be: white=unremarkable/normal people, red=threats detected by the Machine, blue=government operatives working for the Machine, and yellow=people who know about the Machine. If Shah puts two and two together down the road, I wonder if her tracking square will go from blue to yellow. EDIT: And the phone number Finch gave Shaw wasn't a 555 number. Anybody dial it up and get Harold Wren's voicemail?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I loved seeing Finch's opening spiel crash and error out in tonight's episode.
I forgot to mention that in my previous post. A great touch that let you know this was going to be an atypical episode. The 'other side of the coin' is an apt way to describe the episode. - Walter.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm going to go out on a limb and say... Best episode of the entire series. Personally think Acker is perfect as root. As noted earlier, wits is her killing machine. Shahi totally works as a sleeper kill agent. Nikita(various actresses here) shows that, repeatedly. And that "end song". Absolutely fabulous. Whoever got the rights to that song deserves a pay raise.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by schan1269
I'm going to go out on a limb and say...
Best episode of the entire series.
Personally think Acker is perfect as root. As noted earlier, wits is her killing machine.
Shahi totally works as a sleeper kill agent. Nikita(various actresses here) shows that, repeatedly.
And that "end song". Absolutely fabulous. Whoever got the rights to that song deserves a pay raise.
Same here, the best episode of the series. Also, Acker is perfect for her role of Root. Not a badass, but a brilliant mind with stated crossed up wiring.
I can see them bringing back Shaw, but I can see them getting her to be more thoughtful of other people. Perhaps, somebody she becomes emotionally attached to while hiding out and that person gets hurt/killed and it affects her to care more about others. Like John, she is a killing machine, but without emotion. Also, I thought the actress that played Shaw was very good.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
POI was #2 in TV ratings last week. Granted, the two NCIS series had reruns, but besides Big Bang, POI appears to be #4 when it comes to regular network shows in regard to ratings as American Idol regularly appears behind POI. Crawdaddy

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I really like how the series is evolving. The first season was mainly standalone episodes with some back-story being slowly revealed and some key episodes along the way, shaking things up. A catalog of recurring characters were being developed who figure in more as the series evolves. The second season has a few small arcs with more of the mythology being revealed, but still a good number of standalone episodes. New viewers can still enter the series and catch up with events fairly quickly. Some questions are answered only to reveal more questions that will be addressed further down the line. The characters introduced previously factor in more and more showing a full realized world. As the series goes on there are more and more layers being revealed. The series just gets better and better.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
In season 1 it was established that Finch uses the SSN, and nothing else, for the non-relevant cases to minimize the footprint of the message traffic to avoid alerting 'the Man'. Why would a relevant case be limited to the SSN, instead of a full dossier as was shown with Shaw in the pursuit of Mercer? From a storytelling perspective it might make it easier for the viewer to associate the relevant and non-relevant usages, but in practical terms more information would/should be made available during sanctioned uses of research a.k.a. The Machine. To clarify, I am talking about the initial hand off of the information regarding Mercer which consisted solely of the number. A minor point, but I thought that this was an oversight by the writers. - Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks