What's new

Parts Express Subwoofer Kit? (1 Viewer)

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
Has anybody tried that 10”, 250W, Vance Dickason subwoofer kit at Parts Express? I am thinking of buying that, the new Sony WM500 or the Def Tech PS100. I think the performance should be better than the Sony, but I don’t know if it will match the Def Tech. I am also a little leery about the assembly. Does anybody have any experience with this sub? Thanks

Joey_N

Agent
Hey Lowell...

Haven't heard this kit myself, but in using the search function in this forum (using "vance" as the search term), I found this thread and this thread..

Might try checking these past threads & others found in search.

E

Eric Kahn

I have a Parts express 15 inch sub, your kit's bigger brother
you need to be aware of 2 problems, the 250 watt PE plate amp has a 6 db boost at 30 cycles built in and if you start to get a constant hum from the sub you also need to either cut off the ground prong or use one of those no ground plag adapters to eliminate the ground and prevent the ground loop which is occuring, my sub has been great

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
the 250 watt PE plate amp has a 6 db boost at 30 cycles built in
There are two versions of the PE plate amp. One with boost and one without. Either way they include directions on removing/changing the boost. It takes a soldering iron and some resistors from Radio Shack.

-Robert

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
I came back and read this again, what does this mean and do?

"the 250 watt PE plate amp has a 6 db boost at 30 cycles built in "

Also is the "no ground plug adapter something you can buy. I can build computers from scratch, but beyond that you will have to explain more on the speakers side. Thanks.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Lowell,

The plate amp has 6dB of boost at 30Hz (Hz is defined as cycles per second) in order to extend the bass response of the sealed enclosure.

The plug is what most here call a "cheater plug". It's simply an adaptor allowing you to plug a 3 prong plug into a 2 prong outlet. You can get them at Wal-Mart for $.50 or so each.

BTW, I've used at least 10 of these amps in subs we've built and never had any trouble with hum from them. Some people have ground loop problems in their systems or just the electrical wiring in their homes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks