What's new

Panasonic PT-AE700U??? anything better for the same price (1 Viewer)

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator
great, thanks for the link, it is just what i need. Where do most people go for reviews on projectors? Not to jump off subject here, but would the same concept of front projectors of dlp vs lcd apply to rear projectors or are we in a different ball game? If I may ask everyones opinion ,without starting a big debate among yourselves, on whether I could pull a better image out of a fptv or rptv for my budget as I am not too concern with size, but would rather have greater quality in picture, thanks.

Dwayne-S

Agent
Just purchased the AE700 for $2K, with the $200 end user rebate the net cost is $1800 (wow). Before making the decision, I compared the AE700 to Sony's VPL-HS20 (head to head in my living room). The Panny was slightly brigher and had better contrast, and the colors were more accurate. The reds on the Sony were oversaturated and the yellow had too much green. The Sony tended to look washed out more frequently. The pixel structure was much less visible on the Panny (I sit 12' back from a 106" diagonal Da-Lite matte white 1:1 gain screen)

I also compared the HS20 to the new HS51 at the home theater shop. The HS51 has better contrast and better blacks than the HS20, but MUCH more screen door effect. Not sure if it is worth $1500 more considering the rate of new technology roll outs. New LCD panels are on the horizon that offer better blacks and less screen door.

I have no complaints about the Panny, I tweeked out the vertical banding in the service menu and love the ability to throw a bright image up with ambient light present. If you can buy a better projector for $1800 new, let me know, 'cause I will order it and sell my Panny on eBay.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Congratulations Dwayne, how is the picture from 12' back? I too plan to get the 700 and my first row of seating will be about 12' back from a 106" screen.

Chris McGyver

Auditioning
That's the projector that I'm leaning heavily toward also.
My problem is that I'll be sitting right at 12' at the most.
If you aren't reclined, it'll be more like 10.5 or 11'.
I don't have anywhere local to check one out.

Am I going to be lookin' thru a screen door?
The projector itself will be @ 12'.
My plan is for a 100" or so screen.
I have a whole wall to play with.

Anyone with a 700, if you don't mind, throw a tape measure down next time you are viewing, and let me know...

I know that in my situation I'm a candidate for a DLP PJ, but I want HD, and one of those in DLP is out of my $$$ range at the moment.

Thanks,

Chris

Dwayne-S

Agent
For me, sitting 12' back from the 106" diagonal is perfect. You get the feeling of being at theater but not an IMAX. Any further away and you start saying "what's the point?", any closer and you start to see the pixels. But in reality, what you see are the MPEG compression artifacts (blocking) and scan lines, the pixels on the AE700 can't be seen until you get 6 feet or closer (I have 20/15 vision with correction and the lack of screen door effect was very important to me). The AE700 splits each pixel into 4 smaller ones so they look like DLP. The "Smooth Screen" system really works. The Panny simply can't be beat for $1800. I am very sensitive to the rainbow effect so DLP was not an option. I run my Panny on low lamp mode most of the time and it is plenty bright. I could go on and on, but there are numerous professional reviews - and all of them say put the Panny on your short list.

Brad E

Second Unit
Dwayne summed it up pretty good. I sit 11-12' back from a 110" screen. Couldn't be happier.

Chris McGyver

Auditioning
Thanks guys.....

I'm not sure how the DLP rainbow will/would affect me either....

I was told to check a DLP rear projector in a store, and it will show up the same if it is going to be an issue...

I've been so busy finishing the theater/basement, that I haven't had time to get out and check.

Thanks again for the response...this place rocks..:D

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks