What's new

Panasonic 47WX42 VS Samsung 4715W Vs Toshiba 42H82 (1 Viewer)

Sorry for another newbie type post;)
I returned my Samsung 3096 today - and went to Circuit City to buy the Panasonic 47WX42. I talked the guy down 10%, got my free DVD player, decided to get the 36 month extended warranty, paid for it, and discovered that it wouldnt fit in my friends van. So when I asked them to deliver it the manager said that they stopped delivering things to my town (65 miles away) recently. So this manager turned down $2K of business because he wouldnt deliver it to me.
So now Im thinking Sears or Onecall, and one of the 3 models. I like the Panasonic alot - its big, nice picture, and the least expensive. I am concerned about the lack of DVI though.
And then there is the 47" 16:9 Samsung RPTV - it looks to be well constructed and the picture is nice too....but I dont hear much about it on these forums...
Finally the Toshiba 42H82 - smaller, and supposeably looks better right out of the box than the Panasonic. Has DVI upgrade option, but also does 540P instead of 480P.
Out of these 3 which is the best and why? As far as I am concerned all 3 have great pictures. That being equal, which is the best? Toshiba because of DVI? or Panny or Samsung because of size? Are all 3 equally reliable? Even though all of these RPTVs are huge compared to my 27" TV Im coming from, I almost want to be greedy and get as big as possible, so maybe the Toshiba is too small.....but it does have DVI...
And is Onecall decent? If I get a DOA or damaged set is it tough to get them to ship a new TV out to you? I guess this applies to all mail order and web businesses and not just Onecall.
Mike

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I would return with a truck and get the Panny. I am not saying the Panny is better than the other two, but I would go with the bigger picture.

rob_stei

Auditioning
I have the samsung 4715, and here is my take on all three sets:

panny 47wx42: I have heard nothing but good things about this set once it is tweaked
pros: inexpensive, no glare
cons: no dvi, no screen protection, strech modes average (IMO)

samsung 4715: For the most part, I have been quite happy with my decision
pros: inexpensive, solidly built, very good glare screen (in my opinion, the samsung anit-glare screens are the best compromise between reducing glare and protecting your screen)
cons: remote signal is weak, no dvi, Every once in a while when showing a light background i can faintly notice a 1 inch vertical line in the center of the screen that others have noticed as well

toshiba: i don't know a lot about this set, but I'm sure it's nice - however the 42s are noticeable smaller than the 47s, but thats a personal choice - also, aren't these sets (H series) just DVI upgradable, not DVI?....and from what i've seen and heard no one knows how they could possibly be upgraded

good luck - i don't think you can go wrong with any of them!

Rob,

How important is a screen protector? I dont have kids, but I do have a cat although I doubt the cat would ever do anything ot the screen.

Is the screen protector good primarily to prevent scratches, or also to prevent dust from getting inside the screen?

Can a screen w/o a screen protector be dusted off or wiped off?

The Samsung comes with the protector, but to get it with the Panasonic you have to spend another $100 or so and buy the 47wx52.

Thanks
Mike

I also forgot to ask something:

For regular NTSC signals, do all of these sets have a line doubler?

So does regular over the air cable come in at 480P like it did with my Samsung 3096?

thanks
Mike

rob_stei

Auditioning
Glare has always been a huge issue for me...many of my friends think i'm obsessed about it! Is a screen protector needed? That's entirely up to the individual. My last bigscreen did not have a screen protector - I lived with my brother with no kids, no pets and had the tv in a room with lots of windows. It was the perfect choice. Now I am married with the possibility of kids and pets in the near future. I plan to have this tv for a long, long time. It too, was is in a room with lots of windows - that's why i thought the samsung was a nice compromise. Either of the screens can be dusted without a problem. The questions you have to ask yourself are:
1) do you plan to have kids, pets, rowdy friends over?
2) does glare bother you?
3) do you have lots of windows?
4) do you mind watching football in the middle of sunday afternoon with the shades drawn, living like a hermit?

This is the main reason why i got the samsung - i can watch football in the middle of the day with less (but certainly some glare) and not have to worry about getting the screen scratched. But like I said, that's just me....

FYI, I'm not sure about each sets line doublers - As far as picture quality, all 3 sets do a nice job

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks