What's new

International PAL AND OTHER-REGION DVD ANNOUNCEMENTS & REVIEWS (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Robin9 said:
The comments left on Amazon UK by people who have bought these two DVDs indicate that the quality is very poor. Boy On A Dolphin seems to be non-anamorphic while Justine appears to be seriously bad in general.

As I would like to have both these films in my collection, I am disappointed.

(So far, no-one has left any comment about The Unguarded Moment)
Thanks for the update, Robin. I guess our best hope for Justine is if Twilight Time gets its hands on it but judging from the UK disc, perhaps the elements are in such poor shape and that a decent disc isn't possible for now. I'll have to be content with the German non anamorphic Boy On A Dolphin which is a decent transfer at least.

Still hoping we'll hear from someone that Unguarded Moment is an improvement over the muddy transfer TCM gave us.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert Crawford said:
I'm seriously thinking of buying the German BDs of Two Flags West.and Monte Walsh.
Well, I just went hog wild! I hope I don't regret purchasing the following German BDs.

Two Flags West
Monte Walsh
The Ox-Bow Incident
Prime Cut
Valdez is Coming
The Wild One
The Tall Men

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Robert - The opening shots on "Valdez Is Coming" are a little soft/weak but after that it maintains a reasonably good good image. It is a step up from the Region A DVD and is also region free. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I hope you will too - good ending btw!

On a secondary note, I am pleasantly surprised at both the number and overall quality of the presentations of Westerns on Blu-Ray from Germany.

Regards,

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robert Crawford said:
Well, I just went hog wild! I hope I don't regret purchasing the following German BDs.

Two Flags West
Monte Walsh
The Ox-Bow Incident
Prime Cut
Valdez is Coming
The Wild One
The Tall Men
I already have The Tall Men and it's pretty good. I think you'll be pleased.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Robert Crawford said:

Two Flags West
Monte Walsh
The Ox-Bow Incident
Prime Cut
Valdez is Coming
The Wild One
The Tall Men
You won't regret THE OX-BOW INCIDENT. It wasn't stellar even on DVD, but this Blu is a pleasant improvement. Sometimes the edges of the image are a bit soft, but contrast is good and there is plenty of detail. I hope you will post your opinion of MONTE WALSH and THE WILD ONE.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Robert Crawford said:

Two Flags West
Monte Walsh
The Ox-Bow Incident
Prime Cut
Valdez is Coming
The Wild One
The Tall Men
I think you landed every Western they have - except for Cave of Outlaws :P

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robin9 said:
I already have The Tall Men and it's pretty good. I think you'll be pleased.
Today, I finally received my order except Monte Walsh which is backordered.

The first BD I viewed was The Tall Men and I am pleased with it. A very good looking. Tomorrow, I'll either watch Two Flags West or Valdez is Coming.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm pissed! I got my German DVD of Day Of The Jackal which clearly states anamorphic widescreen on the back of the jacket and which is why I ordered it since the R1 is 4x3 letterbox. Guess what? The German DVD is also non-anamorphic. Ordinarily I would have sent it back but it's actually a sharper transfer than the U.S. DVD and when I use my zoom feature, it's looks better than the R1 DVD when I zoom it and you'd never know it wasn't anamorphic 1.85.

Does a 16x9 Day Of The Jackal exist somewhere? Italy? Australia?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
lionel59 said:
The Australian R4 release of THE DAY OF THE JACKAL is in 4:3 LBX
Looks like I'll have to wait for a blu ray of Day Of The Jackal to get a proper transfer.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Just ordered 16x9 anamorphic copies of Tennessee's Partner and Bikini Beach from Italy to replace my R1 4x3 BB letterbox transfer and TP full frame transfer as well as Bandido with Robert Mitchum not yet available in R1.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
My heart momentarily skipped a beat when I thought "Bikini Beach" had gone Blu... maybe one day... I'd love a whole set, complete with the various sequels.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thomas T said:
Just ordered 16x9 anamorphic copies of Tennessee's Partner and Bikini Beach from Italy to replace my R1 4x3 BB letterbox transfer and TP full frame transfer as well as Bandido with Robert Mitchum not yet available in R1.
Please let us know what Tennessee's Partner and Bandido look like. Italy is home to a lot of bootlegging so I am reluctant to blind buy any discs from there.

(Never even heard of Bikini Beach. Sounds like an Annette Funicello film)

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Robin9 said:
Please let us know what Tennessee's Partner and Bandido look like. Italy is home to a lot of bootlegging so I am reluctant to blind buy any discs from there.

(Never even heard of Bikini Beach. Sounds like an Annette Funicello film)
I would like to hear about the quality too since shipping is a bit expensive from Italy. Yes, Bikini Beach is one of the beach party movies, emphasizing drag racing, with Annettte and Frankie Avalon playing a dual role. Most of the beach party movies are nice anamorphic transfers, but the domestic one for BB is a flipper with a pan & scan on one side and a letterboxed 2.35 on the other!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks