What's new

HOW CAN THE STUDIOS TOP THE EXCELLENT CLASSIC BLU-RAY OUTPUT OF 2012? (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
About what I thought, your heels are dug in on this issue without even acknowledging the possibility that we might have some credence to our side of the argument.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
My view is that blu-ray is the last of the packaged media, and this is why I am so anxious to have my favourite films available on disc before streaming hits its stride.

I think blu-ray is suffering from the law of diminishing returns because every time a new format is released fewer people are prepared to upgrade. This does not bode well for 4K as it is hard to see many films being re-remastered for a new format.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Keith Cobby said:
My view is that blu-ray is the last of the packaged media, and this is why I am so anxious to have my favourite films available on disc before streaming hits its stride.

I think blu-ray is suffering from the law of diminishing returns because every time a new format is released fewer people are prepared to upgrade. This does not bode well for 4K as it is hard to see many films being re-remastered for a new format.
I believe it's the last of mainstream packaged media. I think 4K will be a niche market.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Nick*Z said:
I think we're giving the studios too much credit for progressive thinking.

Only for the first time in the home video marketing model, the format being pushed (streaming) IS NOT an improvement but a definite step backward from all that has been achieved. The pendulum has swung the other way and once you limit the public in what they can watch and how they are able to gain access to it they will settle for what you're offering because there is nothing better to compare it to or with.

Weeding out the Blu-ray connoisseur is the first step to dumbing down consumer expectations so that one day someone will say the same thing they used to about Betamax vs. VHS. Beta was clearly the superior format in that war but it died a quick and painless death in North America not because it wasn't good, but because the studios were happy to stick with a format that they preferred for the sake of copy encryption. It had nothing to do with catering to the overall quality of their product or meeting and exceeding the public's voracious appetite and taste for the best possible home video viewing presentation.
I think you're the one giving studios too much credit. They aren't singlehandedly controlling the market. The consumer plays a big part in that. We were the only family I knew with a Betamax. EVERYBODY else we knew bought VHS (and thought we were foolish). Believe me, if the public had bought Beta, it would have won the war. But people chose value over quality. And it also wasn't all about watching films on tape. It was also that some people just didn't want to miss "People's Court" while they were at work. And they didn't care of it was in the "best quality." Far and away most people who bought video cassette recorders were just typical consumers wanting to tape their favorite shows, not videophiles.

I agree with you 100% about streaming. I hate it. But it's not a studio conspiracy. It's a case of the studios putting out what the public wants. And it started with music. People chose convenience over quality. And they carried that over to movies. They'd rather stream on their iPad than buy a blu ray. I don't get it, but that's what they want. At work when I get an Amazon package with blu rays in it, I still get asked, "Oh, you still buy those?" Followed by "You can see those online, you know." I tell them I won't stream because of the reduced quality and they stare at me blankly. I even have friends who swear they can't hear the difference between a track on cd and an MP3 on their iPod. That's the majority of the market, not us audio-videophiles.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
The conspiracy theorists in this thread seem to be sticking their heads in the sand like the proverbial ostrich and ignoring a very obvious reality...the world is still recovering from the worst global recession since the 1930s...that, more than anything else, is negatively impacting the economic viability of catalog releases on the blu-ray market and physical media in general...it really IS that simple, gang!!!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
JohnMor said:
At work when I get an Amazon package with blu rays in it, I still get asked, "Oh, you still buy those?" Followed by "You can see those online, you know." I tell them I won't stream because of the reduced quality and they stare at me blankly. I even have friends who swear they can't hear the difference between a track on cd and an MP3 on their iPod. That's the majority of the market, not us audio-videophiles.
I know people like that too! They just don't talk our language and we don't understand how they think.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Robin9 said:
I know people like that too! They just don't talk our language and we don't understand how they think.
Actually, I DO understand how non-enthusiasts think...they haven't trained their eyes and ears to discern the differences in picture and sound quality of higher-end physical media and streaming and would prefer NOT to know because they know that thinking that way would hit them in the pocketbook like us!!!

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Streaming video content mostly appeals to people who don't care enough about movies to buy copies of them. How could there be any future in it? I'll carry on putting my money where my heart is, at bricks-and-mortar stores whenever possible, and I would encourage others to do likewise. Can I ask Universal for a Blu-Ray of "Comfort And Joy", the Bill Forsyth film?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
lukejosephchung said:
The conspiracy theorists in this thread seem to be sticking their heads in the sand like the proverbial ostrich and ignoring a very obvious reality...the world is still recovering from the worst global recession since the 1930s...that, more than anything else, is negatively impacting the economic viability of catalog releases on the blu-ray market and physical media in general...it really IS that simple, gang!!!
Totally agree, people all over the world are struggling. I'd think those that are doing the best are aged 60 upwards, we had the good years & now have our big tellys & Blu-ray players, & maybe some spare cash to spend & we love those old movies. I know a few intellgent people who are just not that bothered about picture quality, we're a tiny minority. I saw Gunfight At The OK Coral in HD on the telly the other day, & it looked great, but no Blu-ray. I've seen great looking HD's of all the films in the James Stewart Western collection (Universal) & all the films in the Budd Boetticher/Randolph Scott box (Sony), & lots more, but no Blu-ray yet. It might have helped if Blu-ray had come sooner instead of that stupid HD format war. And now they're talkin 4K (ever onwards!), well the Japanese economy will have to strugle on without my help. I am very grateful when a Blu of a title I want is released, it's just something that doesn't happen every week (or every month).

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
One of my favorite scenes in recent years is in Michel Gondry's film, Be Kind Rewind. In it, a 'one take' amateurishly shot (and acted) film done on a shoestring budget that would have Kubrick spinning in his grave is shown on a white bed sheet. Yet, the audience is completely mesmerized even though the production values are laughable. It's the story that saves the day and hooks the audience and resonates so profoundly that it carries them away. Great stuff.

That said, I'm 'One' For The See-Saw on this as I have different expectations depending on the circumstances. Currently, I can stream World Films without concern for Region for free (or low cost such as Amazon Prime) and I'm enjoying the idea of having a friend suggest a film that I don't have to wait to see. Additionally, I don't need to see (a personal favorite of the early Hitchcock's) Young and Innocent in high-def to truly appreciate it.

Conversely, there's the other side of the see-saw. I just don't understand how top executives at major studios can sleep at night releasing less than great videos of some of the most important and followed films in history such as what happened last year. At some point, when do we realize that (aside from some stellar and notable titles) the joke is on us?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
After the last few pages, needed to rant myself

Streaming in theory isn’t a bad idea, I am sure that when the studios have their meetings, some young person in the room has thrown out that idea many times. As being hip, new, on the cutting edge.

But the reality of the situation is this, streaming sucks; it is all dependent on connection speed and buffering, and well to be blunt how many people have a T1 connection so you are actually getting what is expected.

The whole cloud thing is a good idea, except when it crashes, it is all computer based, so sooner or later there is going to be problems.

I now have almost 3K DVD’s and Blu, a hard copy in my hands every time I want to watch it. If I am going to pay for something it better be in my possession, not some digital file somewhere else.

No hard copy, no sale!

End of rant

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
dana martin said:
After the last few pages, needed to rant myself

Streaming in theory isn’t a bad idea, I am sure that when the studios have their meetings, some young person in the room has thrown out that idea many times. As being hip, new, on the cutting edge.

But the reality of the situation is this, streaming sucks; it is all dependent on connection speed and buffering, and well to be blunt how many people have a T1 connection so you are actually getting what is expected.

The whole cloud thing is a good idea, except when it crashes, it is all computer based, so sooner or later there is going to be problems.
More than likely, it's a 'old guy' at those meetings. The same ones that have been pitching a variety of ideas through the years as the concept that "inventory is cash in the wrong form" is as old as the hills. Streaming media is a supply chain-led concept. No product forecast to get wrong. No production, transportation and storage costs. No customs delay or product returns to deal with. No 20 meetings with the marketing clowns only for them to screw up (yet again) on the packaging requirements and schedule.

As to what the young want, who really knows? I'd be surprised that many are Hulu Plus customers (or the like). So what paying model will really work with them seems unclear, at least to me. That and the reality of "private" websites that allow users to just download HD films to their hard drive as a workaround to the industry's inroads against the "public" piracy sites. But, let's get off that before RAH starts shaking like a landed fish on a hot dock.
dana martin said:
I now have almost 3K DVD’s and Blu, a hard copy in my hands every time I want to watch it. If I am going to pay for something it better be in my possession, not some digital file somewhere else. No hard copy, no sale!
Moi aussi. The chance that I'm not leaving myself the option of opting out of some pay-for-the-cloud service is zero. Homey don't play that game.

Now, back on the subject ... my expectations are quite small for fall 2013. The Connecticut Connection will certainly love to be invited to Reed's house for a magnificent double feature presentation of It's a Mad ... World and Mary Poppins but I'm not sure that a presentation of Mad is in the cards and question marks abound about the magnificence to be delivered on Poppins. However, if dealt lemons, Reed does serve wonderful lemonade.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
rich_d said:
Moi aussi. The chance that I'm not leaving myself the option of opting out of some pay-for-the-cloud service is zero. Homey don't play that game.

Now, back on the subject ... my expectations are quite small for fall 2013. The Connecticut Connection will certainly love to be invited to Reed's house for a magnificent double feature presentation of It's a Mad ... World and Mary Poppins but I'm not sure that a presentation of Mad is in the cards and question marks abound about the magnificence to be delivered on Poppins. However, if dealt lemons, Reed does serve wonderful lemonade.
not all are 60's, some are just hitting 50 this year, it has perks, the kids are gone and the hobby does have rewards, so many great films to explore.

that wasn't a definitive, I have gone to archive.org and seen some great PD films, the thing is it is a download to the computer, certain tv shows are never going to be optium, done on tape, has its limits, just say it is a preference to see it as close to the original intended presentation as possible.

and on a side note when dealt lemons, I like it in my tea, and it makes a really good shrimp scampi, the beauty of living along the ocean, it's great with seafood. LOL

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
After attending numerous screenings with countless twenty-somethings at the TCM festivals here in L.A., I can assure you that 60+ old farts are not the only people interested in classic films and are not the only people interested in buying BDs of beloved obscure titles. A recent article covered the huge increase in BD sales in Germany in the last year. All of a sudden titles from even my odd most wanted list are popping up on Amazon Germany, most from major studios. Still, I must agree with about 100% of Nick Z's observations. It's not that the studios don't make money in classic BD sales, it just that the profit margin's not astronomical enough for them to give much of a damn. In Germany they seem to give a damn. I think the future, if there is one, for classic BD collectors like many of us will be more like the Olive model. The quality will be iffy at best on some, but at least more obscure titles will become available. Studios will continue to allow their European branches to release American classics in BD and many of us region-free folks will be their avid customers. Personally, I don't like streaming and I don't want the huge monthly bill for the warp speed internet I would need to do it properly. Warner Archives getting off their duff and figuring out how to burn BD discs would do a lot to make next year a really good one for many of us.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Dick said:
After The JAMES BOND and HITCHCOCK and MONSTERS sets, plus INDIANA JONES and other Spielberg releases, what can studios do to equal or surpass such releases? I am thinking Universal could could do a spectacular SCI-FI BOX set which would include THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN THIS ISLAND EARTH TARANTULA DR. CYCLOPS IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (3-D) REVEAGE OF THE CREATURE (3-D) THE MONOLITH MONSTERS and perhaps a couple of others, all in their proper aspect ratios. And, as a separate title, let's not forget a domestic release of THE UNINVITED (1944). And, what the hell happened to your intended Blu release of THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN? But there's more.... BALTO, all of your Anthony Mann westerns, ANNE OF THE THOUSAND DAYS, BOWFINGER, COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER, COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT, DESTRY RIDES AGAIN, FAHRENHEIT 451, GHOST STORY, THE HEIRESS, HOLD THAT GHOST, ICEMAN, KING OF THE HILL, MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS, MASK, MATINEE, MIDNIGHT RUN, MONTY PYTHON'S THE MEANING OF LIFE, MUNICH, NIGHTHAWKS, PLAY MISTY FOR ME, SCHINDLER'S LIST, SILENT RUNNING, SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE, SPARTACUS (either give this to Criterion or do it right yourselves), SWASHBUCKER, THE THRILL OF IT ALL, THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES, TOUCH OF EVIL, VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED ( Carpenter), WINCHESTER '73. Sony could give us THE MAD MAGICIAN and its two Three Stooges shorts in 3-D. OLIVER! would be great, too. How about personally releasing, or at least licensing to Twilight Time, the remaining Columbia Harryhausen titles: THREE WORLDS OF GULLIVER, THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD, SINBAD AND THE EYE OF THE TIGER, FIRST MEN IN THE MOON? And what on earth is the delay on TOOTSIE, THE CHINA SYNDROME, CITY OF LOST CHILDREN, FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS, OBSESSION, A STUDY IN TERROR, TAMING OF THE SHREW? A huge missing-in-action series on Blu is the Corman/Poe Midnight Movie series. This would seem to be a no-brainer: FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER, PIT AND THE PENDULUM, MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH, TOMB OF LIGEIA, THE RAVEN, A COMEDY OF TERRORS, PREMATURE BURIEL... Other Midnight Movies are also desirable for Blu-ray, including BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW and BURN, WITCH, BURN. How about both versions of CURSE OF THE DEMON (aka NIGHT OF TE DEMON?) Also, can we speed up the output of Woody Allen films in your holdings? At two per year, we'll all be old or dead before the remaining titles are released. As to the general superior films from the UA catalog that remain unreleased to Blu: DOGS OF WAR, EXODUS, A FUNNY THING HAPPENED TO ME..., THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY, IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT, JACK THE GIANT KILLER (as a tie-in to the forthcoming remake), JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG, JUGGERNAUT, A KISS BEFORE DYING, LA CAGE AUX FOLLES, LENNY, MARTY, THE MIRACLE WORKER, MOBY DICK, OF MICE AND MEN, ONE TWO THREE, ON THE BEACH, RETURN OF A MAN CALLED HORSE, ROB ROY, THIEVES LIKE US, TOM JONES, TOPKAPI, THE TRAIN, WHAT'S NEW PUSSYCAT, WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION, WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT. Paramount could personally give us, or license out (even excluding the region 2 releases already announced or available) The ADDAMS FAMILY films, ATLANIC CITY, BAD NEWS BEARS, CATCH-22, A CIVIL ACTION, THE COURT JESTER, DON'T LOOK NOW, DRAGONSLAYER, THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE, HATARI, HONDO (3-D), HUD, THE LAST TRAIN ON GUN HILL, MARATHON MAN, THE NAKED JUNGLE, THE NAKED PREY, NASHVILLE, NEVADA SMITH, NORTH DALLAS FORTY, NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY, THE NUN'S STORY, NASVILLE, ORDINARY PEOPLE, PAPA'S DELICATE CONDITION, PAPER MOON, PARALLAX VIEW, A PLACE IN THE SUN, PLAY IT AGAIN SAM, PRETTY BABY, RAGTIME, REDS, ROMAN HOLIDAY, ROMEO AND JULIET (1968), SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISHER, SECONDS, SHANE, A SIMPLE PLAN, SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD, STALAG 17, TERMS OF ENDEARMENT, TESTAMENT, WAR OF THE WORLDS, WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE, Jerry Lewis titles....etc. Damn, Paramount, you people are in serious arrears here! Criterion could give us... well, just keep up the good work, folks! But a few suggestions: Upgrades for THE VIRGIN SPRING, FIEND WITHOUT A FACE (Hey, if you're bothering with THE BLOB...), BICYCLE THIEVES, FORBIDDEN GAMES, SPIRIT OF THE BEEHVIVE, THE 49TH PARALLEL, ACE IN THE HOLE, BIG DEAL ON MADONNA STREET, CARNIVAL OF SOULS, THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER, all remaining Bunuel and Kurosawa titles, EYES WITHOUT A FACE, FIRES ON THE PLAIN...... well, it seems you are on the slow but sure path toward upgrading your DVD's, so... Here are some suggestions for titles you haven't touched yet: A Karel Zeman set; JOURNEY OF HOPE, THE OFFICIAL STORY, ALLEGRO NON TROPPO, BEAU PERE, BURNT BY THE SUN, EUROPA EUROPA, GARDEN OF THE FINZI-CONTINIS, GET OUT YOUR HANDERCHIEFS, HOUR OF THE WOLF, JEAN DE FLORETTE/MANON DE SOURCE, JU DOU, KING OF MASKS, MAD ADVENTURES OF RABBI JACOB, MEPHISTO, NIGHT OF THE SHOOTING STARS, NOWHERE IN AFRICA, PIXOTE, PONETTE, SALAAM BOMABY!, SEVEN BEAUTIES, SILENT STAR (aka FIRST SPACESHIP ON VENUS), STALINGRAD, ILYA MUROMETS (aka SWORD AND THE DRAGON), TREE OF THE WOODEN CLOGS, WAR AND PEACE (Russian) and all of the Francois Truffaut titles held hostage by MGM/SONY. And, Disney... Where to begin? Catalog titles are finally starting to emerge on Blu-ray, but there are tons of worthy titles yet to be announced (and I'm not even including the animated stuff, which I assume will come our way fairly soon): 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA, THE BLACK HOLE, COUNTRY, DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE, FIGHTING PRINCE OF DONEGAL, THE GNOME MOBILE, GREAT LOCOMOTIVE CHASE, HONEY, I... ( 2 titles), INCREDIBLE JOURNEY, IN SEARCH OF THE CASTAWAYS, JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN, LITTLEST HORSE THIEVES, NEVER CRY WOLF, OLD YELLER, PARENT TRAP, RETURN TO OZ, SHIPWRECKED, SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COME, SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON, TEX, THAT DARN CAT, THOSE CALLOWAYS, TREASURE ISLAND, WHITE FANG...etc. Also, subsidiary label titles such as QUIZ SHOW would be welcome. Don't get me started on the HAMMER films, which are being spit out regularly in the UK, but the majors here in the States are so far avoiding them...Hello, Warner Bros, Sony. Warner Bros. has so many holdings now that the want list would be just about endless. THE HAUNTING, BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS (both would be great for Halloween '13), THE BAND WAGON, THE CAMERAMAN (Buster Keaton), BIG HAND FOR A LITTLE LADY, CHEYENNE AUTUMN, FINIAN'S RAINBOW, THE GREAT RACE, HOOPER, INNOCENT BLOOD, THE KILLING FIELDS, LADYHAWKE, MAD MAX 3: BEYOND THUNDERDOME, McCABE AND MRS. MILLER, MOSQUITO COAST, MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM (color-corrected), THE PLEDGE, RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY, THE SECRET GARDEN (1993), SEVEN DAYS IN MAY, THEM!, TIGHTROPE, FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS, KISS ME KATE (3-D), OPERATION CROSSBOW, PENNIES FROM HEAVEN, QUEEN CHRISTINA, RYAN'S DAUGHTER, SCARAMOUCHE, 7 FACES OF DR. LAO, TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT, VALLEY OF GWANGI, WAIT UNTIL DARK, WATERSHIP DOWN, WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH, THE WITCHES (Roeg), TIME MACHINE (1960), VICTOR/VICTORIA, and upgrades to Blu from your Archive series would be great for DARK OF THE SUN and SINBAD THE SAILOR. Just a partial list, of course, and (assuming these studios read HTF posts) one that reflects my personal tastes. Your wish lists?
I would buy an awful lot of these!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
A re-post of my original from five years ago. Titles now in bold have been released in the U.S. on Blu-ray Titles in italics have been released on Blu in other countries.

After The JAMES BOND and HITCHCOCK and MONSTERS sets, plus INDIANA JONES and other Spielberg releases, what can studios do to equal or surpass such releases?

I am thinking Universal could could do a spectacular SCI-FI BOX set which would include
THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN
THIS ISLAND EARTH
TARANTULA

DR. CYCLOPS
IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (3-D)
REVENGE OF THE CREATURE (3-D) -- ANNOUNCED!
THE MONOLITH MONSTERS
and perhaps a couple of others, all in their proper aspect ratios.
And, as a separate title, let's not forget a domestic release of THE UNINVITED (1944).
And, what the hell happened to your intended Blu release of THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN?
But there's more.... BALTO, all of your Anthony Mann westerns, ANNE OF THE THOUSAND DAYS, BOWFINGER, COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER, COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT , DESTRY RIDES AGAIN, FAHRENHEIT 451, GHOST STORY, THE HEIRESS, HOLD THAT GHOST, ICEMAN, KING OF THE HILL, MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS, MASK, MATINEE, MIDNIGHT RUN, MONTY PYTHON'S THE MEANING OF LIFE, MUNICH, NIGHTHAWKS, PLAY MISTY FOR ME, SCHINDLER'S LIST, SILENT RUNNING, SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE, SPARTACUS (either give this to Criterion or do it right yourselves), SWASHBUCKLER, THE THRILL OF IT ALL, THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES, TOUCH OF EVIL, VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED ( Carpenter), WINCHESTER '73 (rumored).

Sony could give us THE MAD MAGICIAN and its two Three Stooges shorts in 3-D. OLIVER! would be great, too. How about personally releasing, or at least licensing to Twilight Time, the remaining Columbia Harryhausen titles: THREE WORLDS OF GULLIVER, THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD, SINBAD AND THE EYE OF THE TIGER, FIRST MEN IN THE MOON? And what on earth is the delay on TOOTSIE, THE CHINA SYNDROME, CITY OF LOST CHILDREN, FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS, OBSESSION, A STUDY IN TERROR, TAMING OF THE SHREW? A huge missing-in-action series on Blu is the Corman/Poe Midnight Movie series. This would seem to be a no-brainer: FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER, PIT AND THE PENDULUM, MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH, TOMB OF LIGEIA, THE RAVEN, A COMEDY OF TERRORS, PREMATURE BURIEL... Other Midnight Movies are also desirable for Blu-ray, including BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW and BURN, WITCH, BURN. How about both versions of CURSE OF THE DEMON (aka NIGHT OF THE DEMON) Also, can we speed up the output of Woody Allen films in your holdings? At two per year, we'll all be old or dead before the remaining titles are released. As to the general superior films from the UA catalog that remain unreleased to Blu: DOGS OF WAR, EXODUS, A FUNNY THING HAPPENED TO ME..., THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY, IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT, JACK THE GIANT KILLER (as a tie-in to the forthcoming remake), JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG, JUGGERNAUT, A KISS BEFORE DYING, LA CAGE AUX FOLLES, LENNY, MARTY, THE MIRACLE WORKER, MOBY DICK, OF MICE AND MEN (probably belongs to other than Sony/MGM), ONE TWO THREE, ON THE BEACH, RETURN OF A MAN CALLED HORSE, ROB ROY, THIEVES LIKE US, TOM JONES, TOPKAPI, THE TRAIN, WHAT'S NEW PUSSYCAT, WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION, WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT.

Paramount could personally give us, or license out (even excluding the region 2 releases already announced or available) ADDAMS FAMILY VALUES, ATLANTIC CITY, BAD NEWS BEARS, CATCH-22, A CIVIL ACTION, THE COURT JESTER, DON'T LOOK NOW, DRAGONSLAYER, THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE, HATARI, HONDO (3-D), HUD, THE LAST TRAIN ON GUN HILL, MARATHON MAN, THE NAKED JUNGLE, THE NAKED PREY, NASHVILLE, NEVADA SMITH, NORTH DALLAS FORTY, NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY, THE NUN'S STORY, ORDINARY PEOPLE, PAPA'S DELICATE CONDITION, PAPER MOON, PARALLAX VIEW, A PLACE IN THE SUN, PLAY IT AGAIN SAM, PRETTY BABY, RAGTIME, REDS, ROMAN HOLIDAY, ROMEO AND JULIET (1968), SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISHER, SECONDS, SHANE, A SIMPLE PLAN, SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD, STALAG 17, TERMS OF ENDEARMENT, TESTAMENT, WAR OF THE WORLDS, WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE, Jerry Lewis titles....etc. Damn, Paramount, you people are in serious arrears here!

Criterion could give us... well, just keep up the good work, folks! But a few suggestions: Upgrades for THE VIRGIN SPRING, FIEND WITHOUT A FACE (Hey, if you're bothering with THE BLOB...), BICYCLE THIEVES, FORBIDDEN GAMES, SPIRIT OF THE BEEHVIVE, THE 49TH PARALLEL, ACE IN THE HOLE, BIG DEAL ON MADONNA STREET, CARNIVAL OF SOULS, THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER, all remaining Bunuel and Kurosawa titles, EYES WITHOUT A FACE, FIRES ON THE PLAIN...... well, it seems you are on the slow but sure path toward upgrading your DVD's, so... Here are some suggestions for titles you haven't touched yet: A Karel Zeman set; JOURNEY OF HOPE, THE OFFICIAL STORY, ALLEGRO NON TROPPO, BEAU PERE, BURNT BY THE SUN, EUROPA EUROPA, GARDEN OF THE FINZI-CONTINIS, GET OUT YOUR HANDKERCHIEFS, HOUR OF THE WOLF, JEAN DE FLORETTE/MANON DE SOURCE, JU DOU, KING OF MASKS, MAD ADVENTURES OF RABBI JACOB, MEPHISTO, NIGHT OF THE SHOOTING STARS, NOWHERE IN AFRICA, PIXOTE, PONETTE, SALAAM BOMBAY!, SEVEN BEAUTIES, SILENT STAR (aka FIRST SPACESHIP ON VENUS), STALINGRAD, ILYA MUROMETS (aka SWORD AND THE DRAGON), TREE OF THE WOODEN CLOGS, WAR AND PEACE (Russian, currently being restored) and all of the Francois Truffaut titles held hostage by MGM/SONY (addendum: I would narrow these now to SMALL CHANGE and THE WILD CHILD specifically).

And, Disney... Where to begin? Catalog titles are finally starting to emerge on Blu-ray from the exclusive Movie Club, but there are tons of worthy titles yet to be announced (and I'm not even including the animated stuff, which I assume will come our way fairly soon): 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA, THE BLACK HOLE, COUNTRY, DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE, FIGHTING PRINCE OF DONEGAL, THE GNOME MOBILE, GREAT LOCOMOTIVE CHASE, HONEY, I... ( 2 titles), INCREDIBLE JOURNEY, IN SEARCH OF THE CASTAWAYS, JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN, LITTLEST HORSE THIEVES, NEVER CRY WOLF, OLD YELLER, PARENT TRAP, RETURN TO OZ, SHIPWRECKED, SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COME, SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON, TEX, THAT DARN CAT, THOSE CALLOWAYS, TREASURE ISLAND, WHITE FANG...etc. Also, subsidiary label titles such as QUIZ SHOW would be welcome.

Don't get me started on the HAMMER films, which are being spit out regularly in the UK, but the majors here in the States are so far avoiding them...Hello, Warner Bros, Sony.

Warner Bros. has so many holdings now that the want list would be just about endless. THE HAUNTING, BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS (both would be great for Halloween '13), THE BAND WAGON, THE CAMERAMAN (Buster Keaton), BIG HAND FOR A LITTLE LADY, CHEYENNE AUTUMN, FINIAN'S RAINBOW, THE GREAT RACE, HOOPER, INNOCENT BLOOD, THE KILLING FIELDS, LADYHAWKE, MAD MAX 3: BEYOND THUNDERDOME, McCABE AND MRS. MILLER, MOSQUITO COAST, MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM (color-corrected), THE PLEDGE, RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY, THE SECRET GARDEN (1993), SEVEN DAYS IN MAY, THEM!, TIGHTROPE, FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS, KISS ME KATE (3-D), OPERATION CROSSBOW, PENNIES FROM HEAVEN, QUEEN CHRISTINA, RYAN'S DAUGHTER, SCARAMOUCHE, 7 FACES OF DR. LAO, TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT, VALLEY OF GWANGI, WAIT UNTIL DARK, WATERSHIP DOWN, WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH, THE WITCHES (Roeg), TIME MACHINE (1960), VICTOR/VICTORIA, and upgrades to Blu from your Archive series would be great for DARK OF THE SUN (ANNOUNCED!) and SINBAD THE SAILOR (1949).

Just a partial list, of course, and (assuming these studios read HTF posts) one that reflects my personal tastes. Your wish lists?

That's a pretty impressive fill rate, with Universal and Sony providing the greatest number from my want list, while the Paramount and Disney paragraphs above include an disproportionate number of no-shows. Criterion upgrades of foreign-language DVD's are also seriously lagging.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for doing this. It's a bit heartening to see the progress that has been made over the years to get some much-wanted movies to high definition disc. And, as you said, it's clear to see which studios have been working seriously on getting their catalog titles out to the public and which haven't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks