What's new

Outdoor speakers? (1 Viewer)

George Monroy

Stunt Coordinator
I am trying to find a pair of outdoor speakers for my parents new home. There is just one problem. It will be extremely difficult to run wires to the backyard from the stereo because of where it is in the room inside. Does anybody know of any speaker system that can be added to a current stereo system that would work good outside? What are some good wireless speaker systems for outdoors? I know I could go witha PC based solution but we do not yet have their music on a PC and I am not sure if we will end up doing that so what other stereo receiver based speaker systems do you knwo of?

Thank you.

George

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
George,

I don't know of any decent wireless speakers. Then again, if it's outdoors, your parents may not care.

I went through several outdoor speakers, and wasn't happy with most of them. It was quite a number of years ago, though, so they may have improved, and I don't remember most of them. Eventually I bought some Infinity Outriggers, and I like them for outdoor speakers, but they definitely need their own channels on an amp (speaker control box didn't do the trick).

-Robb

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It’s really hard to give suggestions for stuff like this without actually being on-site to evaluate the options. Is there an attic? Also you may be looking only at the shortest path between the two points. You might try looking for the best path to get the wires outside, even if it’s a considerable distance from the speakers. Then you can run the speaker wires under the eaves to where they need to go.

Wireless speakers are not an option, especially for outdoors. Consider that the built-in amplifier and receiver for the signal have to be able to withstand the rigors of the outdoor environment. Can you imagine what such a speaker would cost, if you could find one? It would be much cheaper to just hire a pro to run your speaker wires for you.

In reality, there’s so such thing as a wireless speaker. The required electronics must have a power source; they don’t run on air. Therefore they have to be plugged into an outlet – typically not readily available outside, especially in the exact location you would want it to be.

There is one viable alternative you might look into. I think Radio Shack and/or Kenwood has a rig that will transmit a wireless signal from the main receiver to a remote amplifier (which comes as part of the kit). The speakers connect to the second amp. This would allow you to get a signal across the distance where you can’t run the wires. Perhaps you could then find a way to wire the outdoor speakers to the second amp if it’s closer to them.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

George Monroy

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys.

Wayne,

That is what I was thinking about. Something along the lines of the second amp you are talking about. It is a 2 story home and the stereo is in the wall away from the outside wall so there is no good way to run the speakers outside unless we call a professional in to do it. I will look into the costs of doing this versus the second amp system and a computer based wireless system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks