What's new

Out of the Past coming to BD! (1 Viewer)

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The whole first volume box set in HD would have been awesome but this release is a test the waters experiment I guess. I have the first four noir sets, I like the majority of them :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Just remember that many of the most recent Warner Archive Blu-rays were not the most famous or popular genre titles available to them. NOBODY expected Hit the Deck or Kismet would get to Blu-ray before The Band Wagon or Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
For me, this is really the first must-have from Warner Archive. Hopefully this means that WHV has decided to relax their hold on the classic titles they haven't seemed to want to release (including the Goldwyn titles) on blu.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Kyrsten Brad said:
OK Warner Archive, nice release. Now where is "Summer of 42" on Blu?
I'm sure that's the first thought most people had after hearing of this release.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robert Crawford said:
I will definitely be buying this BD release as soon as it's available for pre order. If not one of the best movies ever made, it is certainly among the best film noirs.
I think it is one of the best movies ever made; an astonishingly good film.

It's also one of the films which demolish the silly myth that films are never as good as the book they're based on. The novel, Build My Gallows High, is mediocre. Out Of The Past's screenplay tidies-up and hugely improves the source material.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
nice, very nice, and everyone else is bringing up titles, that I would love to see get some HD love as well, the statement about testing the waters seems kind of off, WB is one of the few that can do their own replication, so basically at this point, the announcements (IMO) should have been pouring out at about the rate that Kino is doing for it's Studio Classics line, between 4-5 a month, or TT 3-4 a month; with possibly the largest film library holding, the fact that only 16 titles have been released and that is including TV holdings and animation, for which I am thankful. Seems to be a little slight, they sale via their own website, then on amazon, so this should be a no brainer.

this has been a good year for classic releases, and Sept. is going to kill my wallet, as I think Nov will as well, but I would relish the chance to see some true classic WB / Goldwyn / RKO/ Allied Artist / Monogram / Paramount titles, pad that number out from 16 to where it possibly could be at this point.

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
Martin_Teller said:
Fantastic news, one of the great noirs. Of course, not everyone is happy about it...

THIS is on Blu Ray, but none of your Best Picture nominees???

Sad, sad, sad
I could hardly believe myself when I saw that. :rolleyes:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I hope that isn't a telling sign for how many copies will be sold.
Hard to say, but this fan will be purchasing a copy. Older catalog titles are easily my favorite Blu-Ray releases because while contemporary films can be a lot of fun and certainly there are quality films produced every year - seeing older classics in HD on a large screen is the next best thing to seeing them theatrically - which in many cases was well before my time. Very happy to see this wonderful film being released by Warner Bros on Blu-Ray.

- Walter.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I'm definitely buying a copy, and I suspect as word spreads, a fair few other people will as well. For those who've never seen the movie, if you like noir, you'll love this one so it's a very safe blind buy in that regard.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm fairly confident this will sell extremely well. Robert Mitchum is outstanding in the definitive film noir classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks