Opinions on set up (1 Viewer)

jonnyMa

Agent
What do people think of this set-up?

Front speakers: JBL Northridge E60 floorstanding speakers
Centre channel speaker: JBL Nortridge EC25 centre speaker
Surrounds: JBL Northridge E20 bookshelfs
Subwoofer: JBL Northridge E150P sub

As some may know from a previous thread I live in Ireland so I am pretty limited in my choice. Brands like SVS that require shipping are out. I know of a local JBL dealer so their no problem. Is there any other setups I should be considering for the money and also how much should I be aiming to spend on this set up( would around $1100 be right?). Thanks.

P.S. Polk are also available. Would a similiar priced Polk set up be preferable?

jonnyMa

Agent
Update: Okay this set up costs roughly $1900 in Irealnd and it would cost me $1800 to get the SVS package. Is the svs package worth this money? would it be a better choice than the JBL.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I think the sub in the SVS system would be a huge improvement. Having the smaller SVS speakers as mains may not be appealing to you. If you're going to be listening to lots of music I would lean toward the floorstanders and maybe try to find a better sub to match with your system. If your system is going to be mostly HT then I would go with the SVS setup (note: I own the SVS 5.0 setup for 90% HT use and love it).

jonnyMa

Agent
Im not a big music guy and will not be listening to any music with them. It will be roughly 70% movies, 25% tv(F1,Boxing,football and the sopranos) and 5% games. Do you think there worth it for the price though at $1800. I am partial to the floorstanders and the aesthetics of the JBL set up so would the difference in sound/theatre experience be that much that would justify going for the SVS?. Thanks.

Brian Sheldon

Auditioning
There is a world of difference between the e150p and the svs pb10. do a search and find the review done by wayne a pflughaupt in here. He compares the svs pb10, jbl e150p, velo vrp1200, infinity ps-12. The svs won easily--not even in the same league as the rest with the jbl finishing a very distant last place. My advise, get the SVS sub at least--especially for the uses you described. now the whole system...I would imagine the svs system probably sounds better than the northridge system, but I would also summise that the jbls can pump out more volume (bigger drivers.)
I hope this helps.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Jonny,

You can see the review Brian mentioned at the link in my signature. Even if you can’t swing the SVS where you live, it should not be hard to find a sub that will outperform the E150.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

jonnyMa

Agent
Thanks a million for that Wayne. Thats made up my mind, I think Ill just pay the extra cash and get the SVS package. Im gonna be way overpaying no matter what setup I get so I might as well get something decent for the money. Honestly you dont know how lucky you guys are living in the states. Thanks again. Jonathan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks