What's new

Onkyo SR800 Receiver (1 Viewer)

Bill Prince

Agent
Hi guys, this is my first post. Here is a puzzler for you. I bought the above receiver from Circuit City two weeks ago today. I have been pleased with it except for the following: I have a Pioneer Elite HV45A DVD-DVDAudio-SCAD player. When I have the receiver switched to multichannel mode (to play through the analog cables), I have a dead center channel speaker. I have tried everything I could think of to make sure it isn't the DVD player (it isn't because I can get the center channel track when played through other inputs) or bad connections. Interestingly, when switched to digital output for playback of DVD videos, it works great.

I called Onkyo last Friday and the guy said he had never heard of this problem with this receiver before. Onkyo has been quite earnest in trying to figure this out but I don't know if they will come up with anything. Any answers out there? Thanks.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mark LP

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,

Could you expand on all the combos you have tried?
ie. digital out to digital in and results
analog out to analog in and results
swapping of cable and results

Bill Prince

Agent
The digital works great. I have left it alone. The six analog connections are what I have been messing with. Sub, fronts and rears all work on a multichannel SACD signal. What I did to check the center channel signal fron the DVD player to the receiver was to put the center channel out from the DVD player into the front right analog input on ther receiver. It played the vocals that had been missing when the center out went into the center in.

Mark LP

Stunt Coordinator
I would return the unit. They could be hunting for the problem for weeks. This is the first time I've heard of this problem.
Good Luck.

FrankSteel

Auditioning
I had different problems with my SR800 and ended up returning it.

Although the product is feature rich and sound quality is good, the build quality and comprehensive design-thought just doesn't seem to be there.

The power system is weak. It cannot handle another unit (such as my 2nd amplifier) powering up off the same 15A circuit. Since a second unit powering up always causes a temporary voltage drop, a good power supply should be able to handle it. The Onkyo immediately powers down. No other receiver has behaved this way in the same house with the same amp.

2nd room output has no volume control. It is very difficult to match sensitivity of 2nd zone speakers (e.g. in ceiling Speakercraft) to sensitivity of main speakers (e.g. Klipsch RF3II).

The test tone to set surround speaker level always starts at 80% of total power - totally deafening.

That was enough for me to take this one back. After this, I auditioned a Yamaha RX-V2300, Denon 3802, and a Sony DA4ES. The Sony my final choice - equal or better in every category and the only one that did the 2nd zone right (volume controllable).

Tim Reed

Grip
Wow - - I have the Onkyo 800 and have no problems. Of course I haven't used the analogue inputs yet (from either DVD audio or SACD) per the described problem that started this thread-- but I do have the Onkyo 800 and an Odyssey Stratos amp (powers the front two channels) coming off the same circuit and no problems with voltage dips etc (of course my house is only 3 years old).

Regarding power - - this receiver seems to have plenty (my speakers are all 8 ohm, about 90 dB sensitivity).

Overall, the Onkyo 800 has been great so far - - superb audio quality and plenty of power. I heartily recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks