What's new

One Upon A Time In America (1 Viewer)

Is there any news of a region one version or should i go for the region zero. Does anyone know how good is the region zero is

JohnJB

Stunt Coordinator
If you're talking about the Argentinian version I beleive it's 4:3 and since OUATIA is 2:35 the only reason to buy this is if you don't expect to live past the next few months.

I watched it for a couple of mins recently being broadcast 4:3 on TV and I dont beleive even Kevin Smith could come up with a strong enough expletive to describe how awful it looked like that.

I suggest you wait, I rememeber an HTF studio discussion from a couple of years back mentioned that they were investigating restoration necessity and how they would split it couse it's long, long, long!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
If you have only seen this film 4:3 then you have never seen this film.

Paramount is supposedly working on this film and I suspect that it will be released on DVD at the end of this year or in 2003 (My fingers are tightly crossed)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
in America said:
Once again, that's true of West, but not America. It was produced by Warner, released by Warner, and previous home video versions were issued by Warner (including the widescreen LD, which I'm looking at right now).
M.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Warner (not Paramount, but I guess that's clear by now) said in their last HTF chat that AMERICA would be coming out in a restored form on DVD in 2003, with (it's rumoured) a cut possibly longer than the 'uncut' Euro version, and some supplements. Producer Arnon Milchan is involved with the preparation of the DVD. Unless you intend to buy the movie twice, I wouldn't bother with the fullscreen disc at all.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Boy, what a idiot I am.:b I can't believe I made that mistake. Yes, I thought it was West. Gotta read title threads more slowly.
My apologies to Randall, it is a Warner title and it's 1:85:1. I have the Widescreen laser, but I would love to see Warner release a DVD of this soon.

Jo_C

Second Unit
For the record, guys,

OUATIA was not produced by Warner. It was a production of Arnon Milchan's company and what was then known as PSO International (Producers Sales Organization). PSO today is known as Artisan Entertainment. Warners (via The Ladd Company) only has domestic distribution rights, while the International rights lie with Artisan.

Warner, I believe, also has domestic home video rights. Of course, the reason for the delay, I suspect, is rights issues betweem WB and Artisan.

Paramount produced "Once Upon A Time In The West", which was the prequel to "...America".

I think I've said it all here.

hips

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Paramount produced "Once Upon A Time In The West", which was the prequel to "...America".
Last time I checked, the two films have nothing to do with each other except that both were directed by Sergio Leone. How can a movie that deals with gangsters in 1920's - 1950's be a prequel to a film that takes place in the old west?

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Matt may be correct, but he mis-quoted ("How can a movie that deals with gangsters in 1920's - 1950's be a prequel to a film that takes place in the old west?") Joe_C.

West may well be a distant prequel to America.

Jim

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Yes, I remember a story a year and a half ago where Leone's family is working with the producers to restore the film to an even longer cut than the "Euro" version.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I just wish they'd hurry up with it! :) Oh well, hopefully they'll do it justice when it is released.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Leone shot it for 1.85:1 exhibition because he was unhappy with the severe cropping of his previous films for home video and television.

This one really deserved 2.35:1

JohnJB

Stunt Coordinator
So that's Kubrick, Leone & Spielberg amongs others all choosing ratio's partly based on how badly the tv networks and video distributors would crop them, so nothing to worry about with Fox issueing pan & scan to sit alongside w/creens versions then ???

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
There's a school of thought among a number of critics that holds Leone's final three movies (ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE aka DUCK YOU SUCKER, and ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA) as his second unofficial trilogy of films. DYNAMITE was released in a couple of territories as ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE REVOLUTION, and they do have some thematic links in common. A quick quote from Howard Hughes recent 'Spaghetti Westerns' guide:

"DYNAMITE is obviously the second part of Leone's next trilogy, a 'Birth Of A Nation' scenario that spans the coming of the railroads, the emergence of big business, the death of the cowboy and the appearance of gangsters".

You can take this as loosely as you want, but I've read a number of good critiques that follow this thematic outline quite rewardingly. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing AMERICA, WEST and DYNAMITE on DVD, hopefully over the next year or two.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Last I heard, Francis Ford Coppola was working on a new chronological cut of Once Upon A Time In America and its prequel Once Upon A Time In The West. It's going to be called Once Upon A Complete Epic. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks