What's new

One Upon A Time In America (1 Viewer)

Joe RZ

Stunt Coordinator
My local Hastings has it to rent.It's supposed to be a Canadian release it doesnt give the aspect ratio though.I believe North American DVD has it for purchase.Does anybody know if this disk is OAR?

Joe RZ

Stunt Coordinator
Update after looking at the box more closely this is the region 0 version.It is not oar but pan n scan.

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
i love this movie too, but only in an 'experience' kind of way. The characters, the music, the cinematography etc.
But the story is all over the place and there are too many plot holes, or unanswered questions.
I can easily see how someone could not like this movie. But im a great fan of Morricone, and the music just does it for me :)

JerryK

Agent
I was just wondering if their was any recent news on the release date of the Region 1 "Once Upon A Time In America" DVD. I heard that the R2 release is sometime in June or July 2003. Columbiahouse has sent me three different mailings showing it available, but from the posts I've read it's an error, and when I called them they said it was not available and they did not know when it would be either.

On a side note I'm curious as to how many people own the 3 different versions of the All Region "Once Upon A Time In America" DVDs? I first got a cheap Asian one off of Ebay, but had a problem (would get blocky and skip around for 30 seconds) on my JVC XV-S300 DVD player, but it played fine on a PS2 and Panasonic laptop. I told the seller it was defective and he sent another that plays fine, but the quality is not as good as the first. During fast scenes the screen gets that "blocky pixel" look like if a DVD is dirty. It claims to be a R1, but I doubt it, both are single layer. Then I got the dual layer Greek version from this place in Canada, the quality is great, but for some reason halfway through, where I believe the dual layer transfer is the DVD completely freezes. I have to skip ahead to the next chapter and rewind search to the origin of the problem and continue play from there, the player will not search past that point. Anyone have any idea what may cause that? I thought it was a defect, but it also plays fine in a Sony DVD player, a PS2 and a Panasonic laptop. I have not yet bought the Brazilian release, but hear that is supposed to be the best aside from the non-English language the packaging is printed in and I would assume the menus are also not English. I was going to buy it as well, but I from what I've gathered in my research JVC DVD players don't handle All Region DVDs to well. I guess they'll hold me until it's proper R1 release here in the states, hopefully with extra footage!!

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I believe all three versions you've mentioned are really bad. All are cropped from 1.85:1 to 1.33:1, which is reason enough not to buy them.
I have pre-ordered the upcoming R2 release, it's supposed to come out 06/30. I assume it won't be a new and longer cut, as the movie was submitted last November to the BBFC by Warner, with a running time a few seconds short of 220 minutes. About a minute longer than the previous UK video version, so I hope the rape scene is back in (I assume it was cut in the UK's original release).
If you spend all that money to buy multiple but dubious versions of this great movie, can't you also afford a region-free player? ;)

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Sergio Leone's original 250-minutes director's cut said:
- Noodles as a kid comes back home after the failed attempt to steal the drunk's clock and finds that his father has eaten all his dinner;
- Noodles and Max rob a black trumpet player and steal his wallet and trumpet;
- Old Noodles (De Niro) notices a black car following him after he leaves Riversdale Cemetetery, and he takes notes of the license plate. The same black car is later seen blowing up in front of senator Bailey's house;
- Noodles gets drunk after his failed attempt to rape Deborah; he picks up a hooker but falls asleep in the bed instead of having sex with her;
- An old Jimmy O'Donnel (Treat Williams) meets senator Bailey and convinces him that suicide is his only way out.
But it's nothing really new.....

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Why yes, Nathan...there is! :D This was just added to Warner's media database yesterday:
Street Date: 6/10/03
Format: DVD
UPC: 085392002627
Cat#: 20026
Special Version: Special Edition
ISBN: 0-7907-3420-6
Sound Track Language: English
Packaging Type: Digi-Pack
Run Time: 229
MSRP: $26.99
Closed Captioning: Yes
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
Aspect Ratio:
Original Aspect Ratio - 1.85
Widescreen [16:9 Transfer]
Sound Quality:
Dolby Surround 5.1 - English
Dolby Surround 5.1 - French
DVD Features:
Audio Commentary: Feature-length commentary by Film Critic/Historian RICHARD SCHICKEL.
Documentary: Revealing Once Upon a Time: Sergio Leone documentary.
Filmographies
Photo gallery
Theatrical Trailer
No cover art yet, sorry!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Why yes, Nathan...there is!
Except that the information you go on to list looks like it's for Once Upon a Time in America! As Mark_vdH points out, the AR of West isn't 1.85:1. And I'm not aware of any version with a running time of 229 minutes.
M.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Oops...I recalled the "OUaTi/America" thread and went to post to it, not realizing that Nathan's last post in this thread was about a different film. Sorry for the confusion. Everything I posted is about "America".

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
The running time for Once upon a time in the West is closer to 180 min while for America is around 229 min.

Will this mean that America will be spread over two discs ?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks