What's new

ONE DAY AT A TIME: Future Releases? (1 Viewer)

Claude North

Second Unit
Now that One Day at a Time is airing on Antenna TV, I wonder if sufficient interest could be generated to convince someone (and by someone I mean Shout Factory) to release more season sets or, even better, a complete series set. (I might be wrong, but I think ODAAT is the only major Norman Lear show that isn't available in its entirety on DVD.) Although Antenna TV is airing heavily edited episodes (the closing credits reveal that entire scenes are missing from each episode), I'm still enjoying them and finding that the show holds up better than I would have guessed -- so much so that I would pre-order this in a heartbeat. I'm guessing that music clearances would not be the easiest, but probably not as challenging as they were for WKRP in Cincinnati, The Wonder Years, or China Beach.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Apparently Shout! are taking a (much deserved) break from their 'Complete' boxes, at least for a few months, but seeing as they've released the other Lear shows I'm quite positive they'll eventually take it on.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Fernwood/America 2Night is the only other one not on disc. It's the only one with more than 100 episodes but no separate release. It's also the one with the most music issues, but unlike WKRP in Cincinnati, these are live performances that need to be cleared. But there are lots of them.

Where One Day is concerned, I heard Norman Lear was trying to get it rebooted with a Latina in the lead! Unedited episodes apparently aired on some Canadian channel called BookTelevision, so it's baffling why American distributors still don't offer them to anyone who wants them.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I'd love to see a reboot with Valerie Bertinelli in the Bonnie Franklin role. "Hot in Cleveland" is wrapping soon, so she'll be available... ;)

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
MatthewA said:
Fernwood/America 2Night is the only other one not on disc. It's the only one with more than 100 episodes but no separate release.

There's also Forever Fernwood, which is basically Season 3 of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman but without Mary. It has 130 episodes.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
[/URL]

Dave Lawrence said:
There's also Forever Fernwood, which is basically Season 3 of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman but without Mary. It has 130 episodes.
I'm sure Shout! will eventually get this out as well... but it will probably hinge on how well MH has sold.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Seeing as how I just finished watching the entire Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman series, I'd love to see the "sequels" as well.

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I'd buy One Day at a Time, but if it isn't a complete series set, I'd probably stop around season five...

I've been recording the Antenna TV broadcasts starting w season two, but they are VERY soft...

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
This is the next show on my Wish List so I'd be grateful for even some single season releases for Seasons 2-4 if that's all they decide to do.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Mr. Handley said:
While we're on the topic of Norman Lear shows, I'd also love to see a release of Hot L Baltimore.
I've been wondering whether any of his flops would ever see the light of day. Not many got rerun exposure besides a few short-lived pre-Coca-Cola Embassy shows,* the Sanford and Son spinoffs and Gloria; the latter ran on WWOR in the 1990s with a bunch of other short-lived Screen Gems/Columbia library shows. But outside spinoffs of hits, standalone shows such as that almost never got seen after they were cancelled, although I remember seeing a Disney Channel promo for Palmerstown USA in the 1980s.

*I remember in the mid-to-late 1980s, Lifetime ended up with Elliott Gould's E/R and Double Trouble, while USA got It's Your Move and the already released Square Pegs.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Powell&Pressburger said:
I just hope Shout can possibly release the complete series of One Day at a Time.

I agree. I've been watching a few of the episodes today during Antenna TV's daylong ODAAT marathon and, while enjoyable, it makes me all the more wishful for a complete series set announcement. The edits are so obvious, especially when clips appear during the closing credits which were cut out of the actual episodes. But of course that time was needed for an extra commercial for funeral preparations or a catheter or life insurance. (It would seem, based on the local advertising, that I must be on my deathbed if I'm watching these reruns. Just another reason to own a set of this show and have one less series to watch edited for nonsense.)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Dave Lawrence said:
I agree. I've been watching a few of the episodes today during Antenna TV's daylong ODAAT marathon and, while enjoyable, it makes me all the more wishful for a complete series set announcement. The edits are so obvious, especially when clips appear during the closing credits which were cut out of the actual episodes. But of course that time was needed for an extra commercial for funeral preparations or a catheter or life insurance. (It would seem, based on the local advertising, that I must be on my deathbed if I'm watching these reruns. Just another reason to own a set of this show and have one less series to watch edited for nonsense.)
They're using the same versions that T.A.T./Embassy edited together decades ago for daytime reruns. When Nick at Nite and TV Land made a deal for the Lear/Embassy library shows, they made their own set of cuts to most of them*, but this show, for some reason, never aired there.**

*I'll always be grateful they showed All in the Family uncut, although there were a few episodes that were missing footage when TV Land aired them uncut pre-2000. Why couldn't they do this for any other show? It just rubbed in how awful the practice of syndication cutting really is.

**The same network that later became wall-to-wall Full House and Friends, the two shows that drove me away from network TV and into the loving arms of the rerun circuit in the first place, could never bring themselves to show this show?

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Watching up to season four now, and most of the marathon spanning the run, there seems to be very few music clearances needed...

One thing I had noticed, I hadn't seen the Elton John/ KIki Dee scene in years, it was very interesting that Mackenzie Phillips let Bertinelli grandstand as Elton & just played her part low key, but with a very awesome vocal performance. Love that scene...

Claude North

Second Unit
Dave Lawrence said:
But of course that time was needed for an extra commercial for funeral preparations or a catheter or life insurance. (It would seem, based on the local advertising, that I must be on my deathbed if I'm watching these reruns. Just another reason to own a set of this show and have one less series to watch edited for nonsense.)

Aren't those commercials depressing? I watched ODAAT during its original run on CBS, so I assume that I am part of the demographics that Antenna TV, MeTV, et.al., are trying to reach. However, I'm only in my late 40s and in good health, so I find it very disconcerting that these networks seem to feel that these ads are relevant to my age group. (Of course, I doubt that anyone wants to think of himself or herself as the target audience for these ads.)

Claude North

Second Unit
Hasslein said:
One thing I had noticed, I hadn't seen the Elton John/ KIki Dee scene in years, it was very interesting that Mackenzie Phillips let Bertinelli grandstand as Elton & just played her part low key, but with a very awesome vocal performance. Love that scene...

Glad that this scene was left intact in the version shown by Antenna TV because I had never seen this episode before. I watched the show faithfully on CBS, but somehow I missed this episode when it first aired and during the show's various runs in syndication.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Claude North said:
Aren't those commercials depressing? I watched ODAAT during its original run on CBS, so I assume that I am part of the demographics that Antenna TV, MeTV, et.al., are trying to reach. However, I'm only in my late 40s and in good health, so I find it very disconcerting that these networks seem to feel that these ads are relevant to my age group. (Of course, I doubt that anyone wants to think of himself or herself as the target audience for these ads.)

That's Nielsen for you. The Price is Right is very popular in college dorms and quads, but you wouldn't know it from the ads.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks