What's new

on the verge of buying a Toshiba 42H81... (1 Viewer)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
but a few nagging things are holding me back.

first of all, i finally saw one set up properly in a showroom and it looked MILES better than the TW40X81 ever looked (in my opinion).

when you can get this online for $1500 it almost seems too good to be true. i was about to buy an RCA F38310 but i just hear about too many problems with that set, plus i really need every extra inch i can get for a rather large living space.

these are the things holding me back :

my past problems with a TW40X81...focus and geometry problems that i could never properly fix. Out of the box, is focus going to be generally good with a 42H81? Also, only a slight shift in my viewing angle would really throw the color shift out of whack, all i had to do was move my head a few inches and i could tell which color gun my eyes were passing by (one of the reasons i was leaning towards a tube).

also, i plan on watching more dvd's than i will HDTV, and the Toshiba's upconversion of 480 material worries me. how much detail am i going to lose (or notice) on a 42 inch screen with a progressive signal? i won't have a progressive player for a while, so how is regular 16:9 dvd viewing on this set?

and just how bad is the "ghosting" i keep hearing about? what about this turning-itself-off problem?

Still, i think i am probably going to buy the set anyway, and it sounds like they've made some improvements over the old TW40X81.

any help is appreciated - thanks!!!!

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
Sean,

Giving this a little bump because I too am interested in this TV. Great size for my available space.

Any comments?

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i guess my main concern is just how much fine detail is lost in the progressive scan dvd "upconversion". i have bad memories of toshiba dvd players downconversion!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks