What's new

Omega Man and "I Am Legend" (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm not a big Will Smith fan, but I didn't mind him in the trailer. Nothing seemed quippy, either. On the one hand, I don't mind if the creatures are not called vampires, because an argument could be made that they weren't vampires in the novel. Neville treated them as such, but kind of changed his mind after doing his research. Still, him thinking they were vampires was a big part of the novel. As long as there are two types of entities against him--the undead and the infected--I'll be okay with it.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
ummm, mutants have been done to death, zombies as well. so don't do anything? lol. and don't forget even by matheson's time, vampires have already been "done to death". that's not the excuse. everytime i hear that, i get a convulsion because there's really only 7 stories in the world. the WHAT aspect of storytelling isn't original even when homer wrote his odyssey. it's the HOW that matters. how an artist sees the world is what makes any piece of art original. SF movies have been done to death but we still say star wars is original, matrix is, etc. anyways, back on point. they really gotta stick to the vampire to make this thing work. we've already seen resident evil trilogy. no need to do more.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I agree, if we want to go down that road, *everything* has been done to death.

But I read I Am Legend just recently, after having read and seen hundreds of vampire book and movies, and it was still a fresh, original story. Because of the story and the writing, not the fact that there were vampires in it. That's what moviemakers might potentially miss out on here. The strength of the story is in the writing. It's a highly personal story of lonely desperation. I agreed with whomever wrote earlier that this would be better suited for a director like M. Night Shyamalan rather than a major action director. Hitchcock would have made a great movie out of this, with his ability to get inside the mind of a man on the edge of everything (like Jimmy Stewart's turn in Vertigo). In fact, those two would have made a great I Am Legend, IMO.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'd say this for zombies and vampires... but not mutants. Meaning that there are always different types of mutations which can be invented. Even in THE OMEGA MAN, although many people don't think much of the mutants in that film, they were unique and different -- the albino faces, white skin, long white hair, wearing dark shades and robes, taking on an almost religious essence... these were a different type of plague victim. They should have been scarier, but they were still fresh. So in a new film, perhaps a different and original type of effect could be created.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
you hit the nail on the hit with m night. i haven't even thought of m night but i agree he'd be PERFECT for this movie. unfortunately, he doesn't do adaptions (except for stuart little strangely enough) and WS version is already coming soon :frowning:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I actually had a second pairing that I think would have worked well:

Robert Zemeckis + Tom Hanks (reprising their Cast Away union). Right up their alleys. Tom could have pulled off a great Robert Neville, IMO.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I respectfully disagree. In What Lies Beneath, Cast Away, Contact, and Forrest Gump I feel he told compelling stories. Sure there were varying amounts of "flash" and effects, but in each instance I don't feel they detracted or got in the way of the story. That's what I feel I Am Legend needs.

And just because he's used CGI in the past does not mean he'll do it on every project. Heck, even MNS has used CGI, but he uses it to great effect and not as a substitute for good storytelling.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
First of all let me say that I'm a big fan of Zemeckis. I've see every film he makes and then I buy the DVD's. I especially appreciate how he champions 3-D technologies and his commitment to making stereoscopic films.

I don't know what MNS stands for.
Zemeckis uses CGI to dazzle us and entertain us whether it serves the story or not. That's fine for his type of film, which I enjoy, but it's not for I Am Legend.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
MNS is the abbreviation for M Night Shyamalan around here.
He has and he will because he can't keep his hands off it.
And this is where we will just have to agree to disagree, because I disagree with both of your above opinions, and that's what is leading to the divide between our perception as to whether Zemeckis could do I Am Legend justice or not.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i was just watching the trailer with my friends before transformers and most of them didnt know it was a richard matheson book!!! the HORROR! THE >)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
for those that dont click or like aicn.com or prefer a short parcel of info instead of a link.

THE PASSAGE...
...is a postapocalyptic vampire story set in 2016. The dark tale revolves around a U.S. government project gone awry that turn a group of experimental subjects -- condemned inmates plucked from death row -- into highly infectious vampires. Meanwhile, an orphan named Amy discovers that she has unusual powers, seemingly related to the crisis that quickly overtakes civilized society

Billy Fogerty

Stunt Coordinator
I hope this is as good as it looks. Will Smith destroyed Independence Day. Maybe he has matured more for this film.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Smith has come a long way since ID4 11 years ago. He's turned in some really good performances in flicks like "Enemy of the State", "Ali", "I, Robot", and "The Pursuit of Happyness". "I Am Legend" looks like its going to be a solid piece of work. I'm really looking forward to seeing it in December, as well as the preview of "The Dark Knight" that will run with it.

WB seems to be pretty confident that the movie is going to be a big hit since they've already been pitched an idea for a sequel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks