Old components with new processor

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by 5881, Jun 16, 2009.

1. 5881

5881 Auditioning

I am setting up a system and would like to use some of my older (15+ years) hi end stereo equiptment so I can get really good stereo sounds. I have a pair of Acoustic Energy AE1s (2K 15 yrs ago), Kinergistics subs (2, each with 2 10's) the corresponding amp and crossover, and a Kinergistics KBA 75 class A stereo amp, as well as 2 other older power amps, one of which could be bridged for the center. I also have a complete, new A.E. Aegis system in the boxes (Aegis 1's and center for front, smaller rears and their sub). I could use all that stuff and just go with a decent reciever (Yamaha RX-V863?), or buy a processor (Outlaw?) and use my old stuff. Would like to shell out no more than $700.00. I am not a huge home theater nut, but do like hi end audio. Thanks and sorry for such a long first time post.

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    A separate processor would seem to make the most sense, but you've tossed out a lot of model numbers and I haven't exactly researched them.

3. 5881

5881 Auditioning

That would mean I would be running 4 different power amps out of my processor; Kingergistics KBA75 for fronts; Kinergistics SW-200 for 2 subs, also Kinergistics, a Hafler 220 for the rears, and a bridged Amber 70 for the center. Quite a hodge podge.
    All speakers would be Acoustic Enery and AE Aegis.
    Or, a sub $1000.00 receiver.
    ?????????????

4. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

Check out the Emotiva UMC-1 due out end of June for $699. Should meet your processor needs, be within your budget and you could use all your old equipment [​IMG]

5. 5881

5881 Auditioning

Thanks for the replys. I was thinking about one of the Outlaw processors, but have no idea how they are from an audiophiles standpoint. I only need 5.1, and would not use (or understand) 90% of the features these things have. I don't even know the benefits of running the TV thru the receiver/processor. Why not just cable box to TV; audio out from the cable box to the processor? Now my newbee colors are showing; but 20 years ago I knew all there was to know about high end audio!

6. 5881

5881 Auditioning

John,
    I just looked at that and I only see 1 sub out. With 2 subs and a stereo sub amp I think I need 2 sub outs. I don't think my amp will let me bridge. I would assume I can just Y cord out of a 1 sub out processor and go into 2 inputs on my sub amp?
    Having never heard of Emotiva I would like to stick with a bigger name company, although for all I know Emotiva may be an industry leader.