What's new

Ok, I just saw Requiem for a Dream and.. (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Its not a lot worse. The unrated version just contains some more shots of the dildo being prepared at the orgy.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
A friend of mine saw a double bill at the Bloor of Requiem for a Dream and Dancer in the Dark.
He called it the "roll over into the gutter and die double bill".
:laugh:
That's funny, I had the exact same night, but the films were Jerky Boys and Jury Duty. ;)
(yes, that really was a double rental one night, enough to turn you off film for good).

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Its not a lot worse. The unrated version just contains some more shots of the dildo being prepared at the orgy.
I always thought that the orgy scene was the most graphic and disturbing in the move, and therefore one of the most important to remain unedited. Rape is the most dispicable, horrible, soul-stealing crime that can be perpatrated against a human being IMO. This scene shows us that willing or not, Marion is going to be raped by her addiction every day for the rest of her probably-short life. :shiver:

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
I just saw this flick, for the first time, a couple weeks ago and this sums up how I felt about it: HOLY SHIT!!!

The movie really creeps up on you. I knew it was going to be disturbing and I thought I was prepared. Uh... I wasn't! What an amazing movie.

-Marshall

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
I really like this film too. I think that it's incredibly well made. But let me step out on a limb here and say something (shock!) negative about it. I realize that the film is not all about drugs. But I felt that part of this aspect was way over dramatized. Jared loses his arm to gangrene (or whatever that was), because of his herion use. Ellen goes completely insane because she uses diet pills (aka speed). Come on, this stuff is worse the consequences on an after-school-special. Marlon and Jennifer come to much more logical conclussions.

And I've got to say that Darren made a refridgerator scarier than most out-and-out horror films are.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I would say Ellen goes insane because of television, rather than the diet pills. As for the consequences, Leto lost his arm but it seems his mind was cured whereas Marlon was in jail and breaking down, Jennifer was having a psychotic break type reaction and Ellen was lost in her own mind. I'm not sure Leto didn't get out the best, loss of his arm notwithstanding.

BarryS

Second Unit
I saw this movie last year when the video first came out and I was blown away. It's certainly one of the best films of the decade so far. I couldn't believe the DVD was only $12.99 and loaded with features and I picked it up right away. I look forward to experiencing this magnificient sensory roller-coaster ride again. Even without the story and the acting, Requiem is a marvel of technical filmmaking. I'm sure the commentaries on the DVD, particularly by DP Matthew Libatique will be incredibly informative for those interested in how it was filmed. IMDb states that this film has over 2000 cuts, which is more than twice as many as most movies. Normally, I would not find this a good thing, the so-called "MTV-style" editing. For Requiem for a Dream, however, it is most appropriate. I don't think it would be anywhere near as effective with long takes and slow-moving sequences. It's a brilliant film and I'm glad to have it in my collection.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Yeah, speaking of deals, I got Requime and Aronofsky's other film Pi for 19.99 packaged together. Not a bad deal considering Pi is a very good film as well. Both films are similar but not redundant IMHO. Sort of like the Sixth Sense/Unbreakable similarites.

Mike Goodman

Auditioning
Did anyone not like this film? It's not that it wasn't well made, it's just that it didn't disturb me one bit. Sure it was graphic, but it wasn't real and it never looked real. I just felt like it was trying to stimulate our reptilian "ewww, that's gross" biological reactions, and get a rise out of us. The only people who will be kept off drugs by this film are people who weren't going to do them in the first place. I know, that's a big assumption but I know people who do drugs regularly and like this movie. Go figure.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Resurrection.

I have to talk about it.

RFAD was a film I knew I'd see one day. Too many raves, and they were saying the right things. But how much power can one film hold? How can it be that strong if you know it's coming? I thought I knew what was coming. Tidbits here and there gave me a basic plot synopsis. I have never seen an Aronofsky film, but I believed the hype. It was a film I would see...one day.

Well, yesterday was the day. A measly $12.99 and two hours alone. It's a tough thing to discuss, because it's an experience more than a film. It really hurts, and I was almost in a ball at the end. I made the comment that many directors need a filmography to be great. But then, Aronofsky must only need this. Almost every trick is used, and new ones created, just to tell the story. The casting is phenomenal, the acting is the best by all participants, and the editing is awe-inspiring. I'm still thinking about it, and I know I will be for quite some time.

One of the best films I have ever seen.

Thoroughly painful and uncompromising.

Take care,

Chuck

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yup, the visceral impact of this film is astounding. If you don't leave the theater shivering and quivering, you were asleep. If you go about your business after watching it on DVD at home, you were disconnected as well. This film hits hard and then harder and harder until the very end. It got robbed of Oscar nominations because it was just too strong a film, perhaps a bit too polarizing and unsettling as well.

Mark Frank

Stunt Coordinator
I have added this to my Must-See after reading this and the "Most Disturbing Movie" thread.

I plan on renting the DVD, but am I missing much if my video store only carries the edited version?

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Did anyone not like this film? It's not that it wasn't well made, it's just that it didn't disturb me one bit.
I actually dont get how anyone could not be impacted by this film. I dont think the comments about how it wont really keep people off drugs is a valid comment either, because I'm not sure thats even what the film is about. Its about being out of control. Hasnt your life ever felt out of control. I know mine has. I think this film is very powerful and in fact, I rewatched it about two weeks ago and was still impacted by it.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I wouldn't recommend buying the edited version, simply for completness. However, from what I understand, there were only a few frames cut, not whole scenes, so that it could get it's R rating. The unrated version is a bit more graphic in a few places, but other than that, you should be okay.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
When I first saw this film, it effected me like no other. I hardly ever cry about anything, but this film made me cry big time. This film has now become my #1 favorite film of all time, and after watching it probably well over 50 times, it is still as effective on me today as the time I first saw it. It is just that powerful.

This film not being nominated for more than just a Best Actress award made me realize just how much of a joke the Oscars can be, and Burstyn didn't even win that award! She gave the performance of a lifetime, and its a shame she lost out to frickin' Julia Roberts of all people. My beloved Jennifer Connelly is also spectacular in this film, just like I knew she would be. She is one of the best and most underrated actresses there is, and she still remains the most beautiful woman on the face of this Earth even through all the hell her character goes through. Jared Leto and Marlon Wayans are also absolute perfection in their roles, and long time favorites, Keith David and Christopher McDonald are great as well, and its terrific seeing them in such an amazing film.

The film's magnificent score also adds soooo much to this masterpiece, and the soundtrack is probably my most listened to CD! It is such a powerful and moving score, and it sets the perfect mood for this film.

Quite simply put, this film is as good as films get in my opinion, and I seriously doubt another film will ever take its place as my #1 fav. A masterpiece through and through.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
What Justin said. :D
Great Film. One of the few films that actually "advanced" cinema in 2000.
Nathan

Benjamin_L

Stunt Coordinator
I think the real selling point of this film (aside from top tier directing, production, acting and writing) was how believably it detailed how the lives of normal, imperfect people spin completely out of control. Of course it's one of my faves.:D
Ross,
The only people who will be kept off drugs by this film are people who weren't going to do them in the first place. I know, that's a big assumption but I know people who do drugs regularly and like this movie. Go figure.
You might be right. However we've heard from a few people here who claim to have been scared off drugs- people are so varied that it's possibly true for some. Obviously one's culture and relationships with family and friends would have a far greater influence.
A good friend of mine once said we're only as faithful to a spouse as we have opportunities to cheat.
I didn't agree with him, but still it was a good point.

DaveZeisler

Agent
I finally watched this movie last night. I bought it cold just on what I had read here. After watching it from Midnight to 2:00 am last night, I initially came away thinking it wasn't THAT disturbing. I mean, I thought Se7en was way more disturbing the first time I saw it. But the thing that gets me is....I'm still thinking about Requiem for a Dream. Twenty Four hours later its still haunting me...and the more I think about it, the more I realize...my god, this movie was unbelievable. Everything about it was masterful. The soundtrack, I thought, had incredible impact. I need to watch it again...and again. Too bad I already loaned it out to my brother.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks