What's new

Ok, I just saw Requiem for a Dream and.. (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
My god! This movie was VERY disturbing!

I had no idea the wayans could act...

Why don't more studios use jared leto, he seems pretty good in my opinion..

Also, for the mother, did she win any awards for her role?

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
todd,

After I watched this movie I was in shock also. Everyone was great in the movie, especially Ellen Burystn.

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Why don't more studios use jared leto, he seems pretty good in my opinion..
Perhaps he just doesn't want to be used. :) I am pretty sure he has a lot of offers, but he seems to be intelligent enough to stay with smaller projects instead of going for the big bucks.

Lin Weiwen

Stunt Coordinator
Yes...the movie is indeed very disturbing. And that was exactly the director's aim: to shock us and make us feel uneasy.

Ellen Burstyn who played the mother was nominated last year for a Best Actress Oscar but lost out to Julia Roberts. I always felt the golden statuette should have gone to her. She was brilliant in her role as the tortured drug addict.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Jared Leto is one of those chameleon actors who changes his appearance in the films he appears in. You'd have a hard time believing he was Angel Face in "Fight Club" after seeing "Requiem For A Dream".

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
This movie was very disturbing. The acting was good, but I will never be able to sit thru a movie like this again. I felt sick after watchig it. I know one thing, it'll scare you away from drugs.
Later

Robin Warren

Second Unit
This movie is very good and I agree with comments that it should be required viewing for teens looking to experiment with drugs. This movie is much more effective than those goofy anti-drug commercials the Government puts forth...

Ellen Burstyn was robbed for sure....amazing performance which must have taken a lot out of her. She was very brave.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
Quote:

Ellen Burstyn was robbed for sure....amazing performance which must have taken a lot out of her. She was very brave.

Well that's the Oscars for ya. I haven't watched them for over 25 years. It's too painful.

Brent

chris rick

Second Unit
Great film..but man do people miss the point with this one...this film is not about drug addiction perse, but about addiction itself...addiction to television- addiction to the false ideals of our society- that we can all be skinny- and that we should be, and so on- all of the cliches we all know so well....I think it trivializes the film to say it is about drug addiction.

JoelH

Stunt Coordinator
Add me to the list of admirers of this film. The unfortunate thing for me, though, is that I want to share the movie with people I know, but I have a hard time recommending the experience. To ask someone to sit through an absolutely depressing, make-you-want-to-kill-yourself movie can be a little much for most people.

----

Joel

Ryan Jameson

Stunt Coordinator
To be honest, I found the ass to ass scene to be almost the most disturbing scene in the movie. Strange, because it's usually the highlight of a film. :)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
It is a truly saddening and brilliant film. The four main characters are portrayed to perfection, and it was great to see Keith David and Christopher McDonald in this, even if they had smaller roles. This film is as good as films get in my opinion, and I will always treasure my copy.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I loved Requiem For A Dream. My initial feeling was shock. Not just shock at the subject matter (which the director was going for), but also shock at the incredible performances that were put forth in this film. Ellen Burstyn was excellent, as was Jennifer Connelly. Truly a masterpiece that I'm thrilled to have in my collection.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Aaron Croft

Stunt Coordinator
chris rick hit it on the money..

If you watched this film and only got out of it that it was about drugs than I suggest you watch it again. Yes, it is very depressing, but it is also refreshingly honest and well acted. It's take on addictive behavior is incredible, and extremely disturbing at the same time.

But just like everyone else said.. despite my earlier comment.... I don't recommend viewing this film more than once every six months..

Aaron

StephenA

Screenwriter
I love this movie. Great everything in it. I'm also glad I own it. I made a thread comparing this to Trainspotting that's floating around here. For those who haaven't, post in it.

Charlie_M

Grip
I thought I'd dig up this thread, having just seen Requiem For A Dream for the first time. I don't think I've ever had a movie watching experience as unpleasant as this one, yet I agree with the raves: it is a superbly-crafted movie. It takes quite an unusual film to produce that kind of seemingly-contradictory-yet-not-really reaction in people, and for this reason alone I think Requiem For A Dream should be required viewing for all lovers of film. I've seen well-made, depressing movies before, but never with those qualities taken to such extremes.
Requiem is a huge improvement over Aronofsky's Pi. I found Pi to be enjoyable, yet nothing special. I won't be buying Requiem For A Dream because I don't have the desire to, as an above poster put it, feel sick from watching it more than once. But once is enough for me to recognize this movie as a masterpiece. If you haven't seen it yet, go do it. But make sure you're mentally prepared, especially if you have friends or loved ones with addictions. It is impossible to take this movie lightly.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Requiem is a huge improvement over Aronofsky's Pi. I found Pi to be enjoyable, yet nothing special.
I loved Pi, and thought it a very unique film-going experience. It's gotten better with each new viewing. It's one of those films you always get something new out of. Requiem is a far better film though, I agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks