What's new

*** Official THE MIST Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

What is the OPPO that frequently gets mentioned on these threads? A DVD player, obviously. Blu-ray? Region-free? Link? Just curious. DVDPriceSearch always seems to be running a special for one, too. What's all the fuss? Thanks.

Christopher*KH

Stunt Coordinator
I had a question regarding the movement of the camera...such as the sudden Zoom In's and Pan Out's in the super-market when David and Brent first arrive and alittle later as well...

Are these movements supposed to be there? Was it like this in the theater version?...It just seemed odd seeing it happen, and at times it looked like the image in film wasn't center...like something was off...

IF this has been addressed elsewhere I am sorry.. I looked PLEASE direct me to the correct URL for the information is it was...

IF this is te correct way the film was intended to look then like Gilda Radner said "Nevermind "

thanx Chris 3.31.08

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Yes it was. Darabont mentioned that he wanted to give the film a documentary style so that you feel like you're really there with everybody.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Just saw this last night. It's a sad commentary when a crowd of people at the theater start saying "That Sucked" just because the ending wasn't the "happy ending" they've come to expect.

I was surprised by the ending too, but it worked. The only thing I found hard to believe is the shooting so soon after the car ran out of gas. For a little bit, I thought they were indicating they would do that, if they started getting overrun. I also thought they might sit there for a bit and then the mist would retreat and they would have survived.

There were many other shockers in this as well. Like when the big butcher guy just stabs that local soldier, etc.

I also heard talk about someone having to sacrifice the boy to end it. Funny how, at least circumstantially, that is what happened.

Also, when they described the project, I was thinking of Stargate SG-1 and the inter-dimensional mirror. :D

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I tried to find a review thread for the DVD and couldn't (please post a link if there is one). The ending blew me away, the rest of the movie was tense and well-paced. I wish I had rented both discs to see the B&W version right away, but I added it to the top of my Netflix queue. I may even track down the original story this weekend. One of the best Stephen King movies I've seen.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Ditto, I saw this a couple of weeks ago for the first time and recorded it from PPV off of DirecTV and I thought it was a really good movie. The ending had not only blew me away but had that irony:

He looks up and see the woman that was seeking someone to go with her so she can get to her children, with her kids safe and sound

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Is the original novella in a book called "The Mist" or in a collection? Very tempted to read it now.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I believe it's in a collection but I can't remember the name of the collection book. I have in my library but it's been a long time since I read it.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
It's in the Skeleton Crew collection, though it was also released in conjunction with the film as it's own book. Spiffy artwork aside, I'd go with the collection, as you get the other stories as a bonus. There are some real winners in there.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Skeleton Crew...there you go. I had it at the tip of my tongue. Is that the collection that has the short futuristic story about families using a star trek transporter type of device to go on vacation from one spot to another and something horribly wrong happens to one family? I love that story.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info guys! The library has the collection and is holding for me to pick up tomorrow!

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Saw this last night. I must say it was definately one of the more interesting horror films I have seen recently. It was definately hardcore with the ending and the absolutely horrible deaths that occured. It was definately not a usual "Hollywood" type horror film and it definately deserves props for that. I did like the ending even though I saw the final ending coming after the "sacrifice" scene. But I did find what the Thomas Jane did to be fine for the story. The way I saw it was that there was absolutely no chance left. They drove as far as they could, he saw that his wife was dead, everyone who did die died horribly, and communication was gone and there was no end to the mist in sight. Of course, I'm the guy who watches ID4 or War of the Worlds and wonders if I would really want to survive a scenario like that.

About the Marcia Gay Harden character, I've been reading this thread, and I do believe that I agree with some of the posts by Dion. I know the character was created way back when by King, but I do think it could have been much more interesting if the character could have been more subtle. The fanatical Christian character is very cliched nowadays, I believe. And I do agree that Hollywood is all to happy to oblige with that stereotype. Consider if the character was of the Jewish faith or say, the Muslim faith where she was preaching how all those events were happening because we were "Infidels". I think perceptions of this film would be very different. It would be accused and ripped apart for being anti-semitic or anti-Islam. Hell, if she was a Sceintoligist, Darabont would have had his ass sued off. I'm certainly not saying "Don't make fun of Christians" or anything like that, but I do agree that a little more subtlety would have been refreshing. They could have made her religious, but not a complete kook at the same time. I also wish they could have come up with something other than "The Government did it" which is also terribly cliched. Yes, it is King's story, but stories do get updated when adapted for the screen years later.

The only other negative in the film for me was the very obvious CGI, especially with the tenticle scene.

Other than that, I would recommend it. It was an effectively horrific film.

I did also remember that Darabont was tapped to do some kind of "The Thing" project. It's too bad it apparantely fell through. He's obviously a huge fan of the film ("The Mist" had several nods to that film)and I think he could have potentially done a great job with a "The Thing" project.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I was fortunate enough to see it for the first time in its B&W version. :emoji_thumbsup:

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Another great story is The Raft - which was part of Creepshow 2. Would love to see this one redone with better effects.

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson

Even though The Stand is King's masterpiece in my opinion, Survivor Type is probably my favorite. So wonderfully warped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks