What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

***Official Survivor: Amazon Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

OliverT

Stunt Coordinator
I find it mildly humorous that all the contestants are ascribing every single one of their actions to 'strategy' in hindsight. Jenna wasn't playing 'possum in the final 5...she really did want to go home. Matt wasn't pretending to be psycho...he really is. IMO Matt didn't throw that final immunity either and Jenna did NOT select Matt because she thought she had a better chance against him.

Thats just how things worked out and to chalk it up to 'strategy' in hindsight is misleading.

OT

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I do think that people equate "working hard, providing food/warmth/fire for the tribe" as positive attributes in the game, but that's just not how the game is set up. The game requires interpersonal relationships and lining up people to be on your side over the other person's side. The conditions from living off the land is just one big obstacle.

Repeat after me: Survivor is not a meritocracy.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Yes, Jenna had some luck a few times, but I firmly believe that it was her strategy and gameplay that ultimately got her to the final. I guess we'll just have to disagree.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I do think that people equate "working hard, providing food/warmth/fire for the tribe" as positive attributes in the game, but that's just not how the game is set up. The game requires interpersonal relationships and lining up people to be on your side over the other person's side. The conditions from living off the land is just one big obstacle.
I completely agree Patrick.

Do you remember Rob’s comment when the tribes merged and the new shelter was being built? He said that while some were building the shelter, hw was building relationships.

OliverT

Stunt Coordinator
I always see the final two as having played the game equally well up to that point. There are different routes to that final TC but I wouldn't say one route makes someone a 'better player' than another.

Interesting that both Matt and Jenna both spouted drivel they thought the jury wanted to hear in the end. It was so obvious that the jury members wanted to hear that the only way they still weren't in the game was because Matt and Jenna were the two most evil people on the planet that they just went with it. "I cheated, backstabbed and lied my way through the entire game. blahblahblah." Neither of them believed a word of what they were saying.

OT

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Yes, Jenna had some luck a few times, but I firmly believe that it was her strategy and gameplay that ultimately got her to the final. I guess we'll just have to disagree.
MickeS,
I just have one question. Do you truly believe that when Jenna was crying and begging to get voted off last week that she was "acting" or that it was part of her strategy? If it was an act they should hand her the Oscar for Best Actress and be done with it. ;)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
This show was never about being an "ultimate survivor" in the sense of being dropped in the woods alone and seeing who can last the longest.

We are people, so when in a group people will act like people. The point of the show is to be the last person standing, not be the best at knowing how to live in jungle.

If you can sit around, do nothing for 39 days and still walk away with the million, then why the hell are you not the ultimate survivor? This game is about how people change when they get in a situation where they only think of themselves. I think it shows that you can't trust people. People are not noble. When put in situations like that most people will do whatever it takes for them to win. That's the genius of the show. Everyone watches it for the lying and deceit. We would all be bored off our ass if all it was were people there that were good at living off their own two hands.

I love it because it shows peoples true colors.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Easily the best Survivor yet but a very disappointing ending for me. Jenna did nothing for 36 days, and I don't mean 'carry wood, start fires, etc'. She didn't scheme, plot, work to get ahead.

I do give her credit for pulling out those immunities at the end but it's not enough to validate her victory.

Here are my random thoughts...

IQ tests are now meaningless to me.

Matt went from looking like a weirdo with a machete to a Abercrombie and Fitch model.

What happened to change Christy's mind about Jenna? She was far too pissed to have such a change of heart, especially based on the reason she gave during the reunion show.

How was it so lopsided a vote? Did Matt give everyone the impression that he was only there because of Rob? I don't get it?

I liked the jet-ski/subway thing. Pretty funny.

I'm glad both Jenna and Matt openly recognized Rob as the most deserving player.

Dave asked the dumbest Survivor question I've heard in a long time.

I was LMAO when Heidi kept pressing Matt and Jenna about who deserved to be in their place? God Heidi, did you REALLY think you should have won?

I don't care if he's pathetic, Rob is funny as hell and I'm going to miss him on next seasons show.

Weird coincidence that the next Survivor is in the Pearl Islands and the Pirates of the Caribbean movie is the "Curse of the Black Pearl". I've never heard of the Black Pearl islands before and now they're showing up everywhere. Like I said, random thoughts :)

Anyway, I'm disappointed with the winner but I still enjoyed this show tremendously.

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator
I can't say I'm happy with the results, I agree with all the negative comments about Jenna, but she did seem genuine when she talked about her realization of how she acted (upon hindsight) and her subsequent growth. Makes the ending a bit more palatable, but not much.

The main reason I can't complain was that Matt threw it away during the last Q&A. If he had said, up front, and not as a reaction to the questions, (and Alex's petulant facial expressions);

1) Yes, he lied and schemed.
2) That he had thrown some of the challenges, including the last one and explained why (though I thought he was wrong to do it).
3) Mentioned, but not emphasized the Rob "tutelage".

The main point being that I think the jury would have respected him more if they thought he had more to do with being in the final 2 than merely following Rob's lead. An up front, "yeah I played the game" would have garnered more respect and votes than the "I worked hard, provided food and was so naive but Rob showed me the light" weak-assed garbage he came with. I think he would have kept Christy's vote and probably gotten Rob's and Deena'a as well with that strategy. But I can't blame anyone for not firing on all mental cylinders after 40 days of deprevation.

In short: One of the best seasons ever, with the most undeserving winner ever, Vecepia and Tina Wesson being a close second.

P.S. I think Rob should angle for a gig being the resident "surivor analyst" on either the Morning show or on the official website. He could critique the players on each week's show.

OliverT

Stunt Coordinator
Exactly. And that is what she said in the wrap-up show when questioned last night. A quick poll of the jury indicated that a good many would have voted for Rob had he been the opposition.
Yeah...according to them they are saying every single thing that happened was strategy and I'm not buying it. The jury was decidedly mixed on Rob last night that has zero to do with what Jenna might have thought the Jury would do months ago in the Amazon. I found the fact that she choose Matt to be very 'in character' for her.

If anything, Jenna could have been called duplicitous for one night saying "I'm choosing the best competition" and then the next night saying "Rob played the best". Uh huh.

OT

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, as far as Christy is concerned, she's far too volatile and childish/naive, so who knows how her thought processes went from pure hate for Jenna (evil stepsister #1) to "she outplayed, outlasted, outwitted me". She like an affectionate puppydog in some respects when she gets all animated. I doubt there is much in terms of shades of gray in her worldview.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

I think she really felt that way, and that she was lucky Heidi got voted off before her at that point.

OliverT

Stunt Coordinator
Well, as far as Christy is concerned, she's far too volatile and childish/naive, so who know how her thought processes went from pure hate for Jenna (evil stepsister #1) to "she outplayed, outlasted, outwitted me".
Agree. She definitely wins the "Sean Award" for this episode.

OT

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
What I can't figure out is why people work their butts off if there are lazy people in their tribe. I'd be doing as much as the laziest person was doing if I were in a tribe. Why bust your butt if you lose out on the social aspect of the game?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
And obviously the hard workers don't have time to be watching previous Survivor seasons to learn how the real game is played!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
What will I miss most of all from this season? Despising Heidi, her obliviousness, her self-righteousness? Matteo getting his freak on? Butch's firewood fetish and solid gold dancing? Deena's smug smirk? Shawna's testosterone resurrection?

No. Like most of you, it's gonna be Rob's play-by-play, analysis, and snarky rejoinders. There was another classic last night, just before Butch was voted off:

"There's not enough firewood in the forest to keep your torch lit tonight, buddy!"

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Survivor in the shows sense does not mean surviving the elements in the environment you are placed in, it means being the last one standing at the end. Jenna managed to be the last one standing. I don't feel she was faking earlier when she was whining a lot, but as the days went on I think she woke up and realized that they kept her around because she was weak. She wasn't seen as a major threat. She just sat back and let everyone else fight it out while she enjoyed herself and had fun. Then when it came down to the end she stepped up and finished it.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I stil think that by "playing possum" Jenna made sure that Heidi would get the boot over her.
Jenna wasn't "playing possum". She was whining like normal and trying to get voted off so that she could take the easy way out. I don't think Jenna did any "strategizing" up until the last few days. If anything, Heidi was the one making the deals and carrying Jenna along.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QuirkyProtection
Recent bookmarks