What's new

*** Official STAR WARS Saga (episodes I to VI) Discussion Thread: Part 4 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew_Def

Stunt Coordinator
I think if you include one prequel, because of the story, it's hard not to include all of them. The trilogies mirror eachother in a wonderful way. They show the contrast between Anakin and Luke, they took similar paths but made different choices. I think the story is incredible from I-VI, very well constructed and really awesome to watch the growth of the characters. I really do like how connected the characters are, that fits in very well with the mythological aspect.

Ultimately, because of the seemingly infinite amount of mirroring and rhyming throughout the Saga, it's highly satisfying to make the connections.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
So, are you last three guys AOTC boosters? I feel like I'm the only one sometimes.
Definitely especially the last hour or so of it.
I think The Phantom Menace is a better movie than Return Of The Jedi. ROJ definitely has better individual scenes (like the space battle and anything with the Emperor, Vader and Luke) but there's an hour of the movie that I find very slow/boring and The Phantom Menace, while far from perfect, keeps my interest for its running time. Don't make fun of me for thinking that though- my friends already do it enough. :)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Count me as another who really likes Clones. If you cut out just one or two of the horrible Anakin/Padme scenes(in the middle of that field and by the fireplace) it might be my favorite of the prequels. As it stands, I still like Sith the best of the three and Menace the least. I'm sure we've done this before, but my rankings are:
1. ESB
2. ANH
3. ROTS
4. AOTC
5. ROTJ
6. TPM

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
As films:

1. ESB

2. ANH

3. ROTS

4. ROTJ (due to Vader/Luke/Emperor scenes and space battle)

5. AOTC

6. TPM

I watch them in this order:

1. ANH

2. ESB

3. TPM

4. AOTC

5. ROTS

6. ROTJ

The Sith, Jedi experience is a 1-2 punch to the heart. The story arcs culminate in a much more powerful way for me.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Another Clones booster here. I loved it on opening night and continue to do so.

I am well aware of the criticism, and yet each time I watch it (about once a year) it continues to grab me and never let go.

Yes, the dialogue in some of the romantic scenes is bad, but then again that fireplace scene has lots going for it other than the dialogue: the costumes are great, the staging is very well done, and the cinematography is lovely too.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks for the Clones posts! Glad to see I'm not alone. All of this talk is rendering my early post about being burned out moot. I'm going to have to watch some Star Wars this weekend. :)

Matthew_Def

Stunt Coordinator
Brett_M said:
I watch them in this order:
1. ANH
2. ESB
3. TPM
4. AOTC
5. ROTS
6. ROTJ
The Sith, Jedi experience is a 1-2 punch to the heart. The story arcs culminate in a much more powerful way for me.
I think a really interesting experiment would:
1. TPM
2. ANH
3. AOTC
4. ESB
5. ROTS
6. ROTJ
Watching Anakin and Luke progress similarly. Hell, why not just play TPM and ANH at the same time and so on. Some art museum should do that.
Anyway, my rankings:
1. ESB
2. ROTS
3. ANH
4. ROTJ
5. AOTC
6. TPM

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
My Rankings:
The Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
A rung below
Return of the Jedi
At time one I was led to believe that a couple of more movies had been made.
Now I know better.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
My ranking would be:

1.ESB

2.ANH

3.ROTS & ROTJ(tied)

4.AOTC

5.TPM

As for not wanting to watch the films again for awhile, I think I'd change my mind if they were released on one of the new high def formats.

STARKILLER1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Lou
I love'em all; although, I do have a preference:
1) ROTS
2) ANH
3) AOTC
4) TPM
5) ESB
6) ROTJ
I'll watch any of those though over any other movie. Upconverted they look awesome, and I'm sure they'd be even better in 1080P/24. :)

Mark Dill

Stunt Coordinator
It has become fashionable to bash ROTJ, but it's still my favorite!

1. ROTJ

2. ANH

3. ESB

~~ ridiculously huge gap ~~~

4. AOTC

5. ROTS

6. TPM

I wanted to like ROTS more, but the ridiculous scene with Anakin's turn and Palpatine's self-mutilation ruins it for me. Grievous is bad too. And Franken-Vader. You get the idea... this didn't have to be a bad movie, but George tried really hard to ruin it.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Mark Dill said:
You get the idea... this didn't have to be a bad movie, but George tried really hard to ruin it.
Couldn't disagree more. If anything, George did his best work on the prequels with ROTS and overall I find it much more enjoyable than ROTJ. To each his own.

Mark Dill

Stunt Coordinator
Don't get me wrong, I actually like ROTS and enjoy watching it, for the most part. But the scenes I mentioned are truly cringeworthy, and they hurt the film.
Yep, to each his own :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Probably only for my edification, here's HBO's December schedule of HD airings:

12/01 1:15 PM HBO - EAST STAR WARS: EPISODE IV -- A NEW HOPE

12/01 10:00 PM HBO - EAST STAR WARS: EPISODE IV -- A NEW HOPE

12/04 12:00 PM HBO - EAST STAR WARS: EPISODE VI -- RETURN OF THE JEDI

12/09 1:45 PM HBO - EAST STAR WARS: EPISODE VI -- RETURN OF THE JEDI

12/11 3:00 PM HBO - EAST STAR WARS: EPISODE IV -- A NEW HOPE

12/14 7:30 AM HBO - EAST STAR WARS: EPISODE VI -- RETURN OF THE JEDI

12/16 9:00 AM HBO - EAST STAR WARS: EPISODE IV -- A NEW HOPE

12/16 6:45 PM HBO - EAST STAR WARS: EPISODE IV -- A NEW HOPE

12/22 12:30 PM HBO - EAST STAR WARS: EPISODE VI -- RETURN OF THE JEDI

12/22 9:30 PM HBO - EAST STAR WARS: EPISODE VI -- RETURN OF THE JEDI

12/26 11:15 AM HBO - EAST STAR WARS: EPISODE IV -- A NEW HOPE

12/27 3:30 PM HBO - EAST STAR WARS: EPISODE VI -- RETURN OF THE JEDI

12/30 5:00 PM HBO - EAST STAR WARS: EPISODE VI -- RETURN OF THE JEDI

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Alright. I have a question and some comments....
First my questions...
-In AOTC. They search for answers about the clone army. They find out it was some supposed dead jedi. Yet, at the end when they vote for the army and need it on the battle of Geonosis. Isn't anyone questioning in the senate how the army was already created before they voted for it? And if the jedi were concerned about it...They are then showed leading it.
Now for my comments...
-While I understand people's dislike for ROTJ. It did have a very cool space battle scene. That was as cool as the one at the beginning of ROTS. I know its heresy. But, I would have loved to seen a longer (recreated with computer graphics) battle at the end of ROTJ. Just for the fact to see A,B,X & Y-Wings fighting. :)
-My biggest disappointment with ROTJ/ESB. Is you get this big reveal that not only is Vader is Luke's father. But, that Leia is also. When Luke tells her. She gets a disgusted look and then a run away comment. I just felt like their should have been more. At least with Luke we see him dwell on it and try to turn Vader.
-Last comment. My soon to be 5 year old loves SW right now thanks to the Lego Star Wars game. He says he likes the AOTC & ROTS the best. Since they have way cooler looking (& varied) Stormtroopers. :)

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
todd s said:
When Luke tells her. She gets a disgusted look
Two potential reasons for the disgusted look:
1)She's remembering that kiss she gave Luke in ESB.
2)She's realizing how lucky she is to have gotten her mother's looks.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
SD_Brian said:
Two potential reasons for the disgusted look:
2)She's realizing how lucky she is to have gotten her mother's looks.
You mean to look like this.....
htf_imgcache_24662.png

And not this....
htf_imgcache_24663.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks