What's new

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread (1 Viewer)

golfer72

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
Does anyone have the playback menu pop up when they are watching a blu ray on the ps3. The play menu screen pops up out of nowhere while I'm watching movies. It's not the actual movie menu, it's the ps3 menu for pause, play, rewind etc... I'm not sure how to fix this issue, but it happens about every 20 minutes. Not a huge deal, but it is kind of annoying. Any suggestions?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
are you using the controller or a ps3 remote.
the triangle on the controller brings this menu up.
perhaps its sticking.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah one thing I've learned about the bluetooth devices is that it's a lot easier to accidentally press a button (i.e. when I set the controller down the L2/R2 buttons accidentally get pressed, or when the BD remote is under a couch pillow and I lean on it the buttons can get pressed), and the PS3 is a lot more sensitive to receiving those commands than a normal remote.
I usually keep all of the remotes I use on the couch, and if I inadvertently sit on one or press a button, if the remote is not facing the device, it usually doesn't do anything. But the bluetooth remote and controller for the PS3 are ultra sensitive and if they even get nudged, even if they aren't pointed at the PS3, it will register the command.
So now I keep the PS3 remote and controllers on the table in front of the couch so they can't be accidentally pressed.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Carlo Medina said:
Yeah one thing I've learned about the bluetooth devices is that it's a lot easier to accidentally press a button (i.e. when I set the controller down the L2/R2 buttons accidentally get pressed
L2/R2, is that the little paddles on the front? If so, that happens constantly and drives me crazy. If I get the remote it will be because of those damn paddles on the front. :laugh:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
this is too funny. If I drop my remote one more time and zip into fast-forward while I fumble trying to find the remote in the dark...

yeah, I'm all for getting the remote for the same reason. Drives me crazy!

Hey, where is the best place to get the remote? didn't see any at best buy...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BrettB said:
L2/R2, is that the little paddles on the front? If so, that happens constantly and drives me crazy. If I get the remote it will be because of those damn paddles on the front. :laugh:
Just a little tip, just turn off the controller while watching. :)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Well, I'm officially an owner of a 60 GB PS3. My wife gave it to me as an early Valentine's day present. I've already loaded it down with mp3's and photos, but haven't yet picked up a Blu-ray disc. So far it's an impressive little machine. My only problem so far are that it doesn't pillarbox 4:3 DVD's. Hopefully that is something which will be taken care of in one of the future updates.

Romar Armas

Second Unit
The more they release these firmware updates, the more incomplete the PS3 seems. The 1.51 firmware released actually made the PS3 more compatible with PS3 games which seems rather odd. So expect a lot more firmware updates to come to address those various issues.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I've never had a problem with 4:3 material (most recently watched Cinderella), this is on a PS3 w/1.1 fw.

Had $32 credit at Best Buy on Saturday and couldn't find a movie I wanted to buy. I know it's getting better but they really need to pick it up. Almost bought that remote instead but held off.

Went to Target to raise hell about getting me my *new unopened* 20GB. We'll see how long it takes.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Since the PS3 outputs SD DVD at 480P, couldn't you just use the TV's aspect controls to pillarbox? Unless the TV will only allow that with 480i, in which case I guess it could be a problem.
I got the remote right off the bat. Watching movies with a game controller just seems weird. :)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Hmmm, I'll double check my settings on both my PS3 and television when I get home. Thanks.

Romar Armas

Second Unit
I suggest getting the Remote with the PS3. It's much easier to use and watch DVD/BR with it. The controller gets quite annoying having to press triangle all the time.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Since the PS3 outputs SD DVD at 480P, couldn't you just use the TV's aspect controls to pillarbox?
Problem is that a lot of older HD sets (including mine) "Lock to Full (Aspect ratio)" when given a 480p signal.
I'm not treating it as a very big deal right now because in 12-18 months I plan to have a new HDTV (w/ HDMI 1.3). But if I wasn't planning on buying a new set for several years, I'd be a bit peeved.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Turns out I had a setting wrong on my TV. While the previous settings worked on my 1080i upconverting DVD player, they didn't work for a 480p signal. I guess I had one of those "duh" moments that come with old age. :)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Just bought a PS3 last night and watched Ice Age 2. What an incredible picture! Yet I just read in this thread that I may have been watching in 480p (?). I specified 720p in the PS3 menu as that is the max resolution of my plasma TV. Should I have set it to 1080i?

On a related note, I was wondering if the picture on standard DVDs would be superior through the PS3 than via my trusty old Sony S9000ES DVD player. The DVD player was top of the line in its day (5-6 years ago) but I'm thinking it might be best to retire it to the bedroom.

Finally, is it a no-brainer to use the HDMI connection or would I be equally happy (video-wise) with the AV/component hookup? My video processor doesn't switch HDMI, so it may be easier for me to use component. (And my surround processor can't take HDMI for audio, so that is a moot point.)

Thanks

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Just bought a PS3 last night and watched Ice Age 2. What an incredible picture! Yet I just read in this thread that I may have been watching in 480p (?). I specified 720p in the PS3 menu as that is the max resolution of my plasma TV. Should I have set it to 1080i?

Yep. You were watching in 480p. Set your PS3 to 1080i. When the 720P-scaled-output becomes available, I'm sure you'll hear about it here!

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Quick question about the PS3. My 20GB is on the way and I was wondering about the firmware updates. I know 1.51 is available at the moment. Does that 1.51 update also include (internally) the updates before it or do I have to update the PS3 with the previous updates before I update it with 1.51? (An aside, I plan on updating the system through a USB device rather than the network connection. I'm just not into online anything with these consoles and players. Is there any advantages or disadvantages to updating the system through the network connection or no?)
I'm pretty giddy right now, thinking about getting into Blu-Ray. I went with HD-DVD with at the A2 only because it was afforable. HD-DVD has been good so far but I've been chomping at the bit to get into Blu-Ray since day one...and now it's finally here.
I'm just a tad worried about using firmware updates..that's all.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
every update needed is in 1.51
let me rephrase that, every available update

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks