What's new

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread (2 Viewers)

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Is it true that the PS3 will only output 2 channel PCM audio over HDMI?

I have a Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player connected via HDMI to a Yamaha 5990 receiver which works fine with both HDMI video and 5.1 audio. However, when I connect a PS3 via HDMI (using the same settings on the receiver as the Toshiba) it only shows 2 channels of audio. The discs used for the test was the BD Flyboys and Phantom of the opera.

My PS3 is running the version 1.31 firmware out of the box. Haven't had time to update yet.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Strange. The PS3 can do 7-channel PCM over HDMI. Not sure what's up. Anyone with HDMI working (I don't have HDMI on my reciever) have a clue in case it's just some settings in his set-up menu?

dave

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I know that when you set it to HDMI there's a pretty long list of formats that you check on/off and it defaults to just a few being on. Maybe he needs set those.

Also: if you pick 'automatic' instead of 'manual' for setting output it only does a couple of 2.0 formats I think.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Thanks for the tips. I went back into setup and just check marked every HDMI audio format available. Now I have 5.1 audio through HDMI on the Yamaha 5990. :)

DavidUL

Agent
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but.. a few questions or opinions needed ..

1 ) what is the "best" audio format to save cd's to the HD with ?

2) what would be considered the best 2 channel output ? pcm 48 ?

thanks for the opinions in advance..

dave

ps- i am using the optical out for now..

Joe Cortez

Stunt Coordinator
So I took the plung after all and picked up a PS3 this past Friday. I've got it hooked up to my DLP via HDMI with a resolution of 1080i (although my screen claims to be a full 1080p monitor, but I'm not splitting hairs). All in all no regrets, but then again I have yet to get my credit card statement in the mail...

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Also: if you pick 'automatic' instead of 'manual' for setting output it only does a couple of 2.0 formats I think.
Depends how "smart" your receiver is I guess. My Onkyo told accurately every format it supports. I went through originally and did it manually just in case and it was the same. (actually, it also supports AAC too, which I didn't know)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Re. Firmware Update methods: Can I copy the 1.51 update to a CD-R and update the PS3 that way?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just used a memory card from my camera and put the update on there, plugged it into the reader in front and it worked fine. Just have to put it in the folder, same as on a CDR. Quick and easy.

raider0914

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
I've read every post in this thread, and I couldn't find the answer to my question. When I watch most Blu-ray movies, its still in a letterbox format (black bar at top and bottom). I would think that with a 16:9 TV, and a widescreen format movie, it would take up the whole screen. Some movies have taken up the whole scree. Just wondering if there is something I can do to fix it.

Oh, BTW, I have the 60 with 1.51 update. I have it hooked up through HDMI into a 47" Vizio 1080p tv. Thanks

Neal_C

Second Unit
Don,
You see the black bars because the movies are in OAR (original aspect ratio) and this is the way the director wanted the film to be seen.
Films in 1.85:1 will fill the screen, films in 2.05:1 will have black bars and films in 2.35:1 will have larger black bars. These aren't the only aspect ratios, just some examples and probably the ones you will see the most.
If you would like some more info, you can take a look here: http://www.rexer.com/cine/oar.htm. This probably isn't the best site, just the first one that came up in a google search but it should help you get some idea.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
The HTF maintains a pretty nice FAQ on aspect ratios and all the different flavors. Definitely worth checking out if you're looking for more info. See here.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Is anyone still having freeze issues even after 1.51? I watch The Prestige tonight and had it freeze up for ~6 seconds about 4 times on me. I did have the wireless network on this time so I'm wondering if that may still be the issue.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Chris, I updated to 1.51 immediately and so I never used the earlier firmwares.
I have had a couple freezes, most people seem to think disabling the network while watching a movie fixes it. I haven't tried this yet though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks