What's new

Official Oscars 2022 Nominations And Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Of course, this was calculated, but reading his resignation statement clearly states he accepts full responsibility for his misbehavior and any future disciplinary action taken against him from the Academy. In that resignation statement, he also apologized without any excuses to Chris Rock, the Academy, the other Oscar nominees and winners along with the general public for his actions that ruin the night for so many people.
…and he wrote ALL of it himself. None of it at all was by a publicist.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'll give him credit for that. It's more than some people would do in a similar situation.
The apology was well stated and I will take it at face value. It will be a permanent blot on his career that will fade but not disappear with time. It will not alter my choice whether to see his films. It’s not like he’s a serial killer or a politician after all.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
My problem with Smith resigning is that it essentially means nothing.
He should have been suspended from all Academy events including voting and being nominated.
All of it.
2 years minimum then let him ask for reinstatement.
Pinkett should be suspended too.

As for the autocorrect, my iPhone is off by at least 23% of what I’m attempting to type.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hmm. iPhone autocorrect often does so based on what the user enters, so that should mean your "GaGa" reflects your own patterns.

It doesn't AC "Gaga" for me! <_<
Don’t know what to tell you. It does for me.

Watch.

GaGa

See?:D

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You know, more the time passes, more it becomes clear how the action was bad, inappropriate and selfish. People said this was nothing and it will blow over. Especially that it will not affect him professionally. We will see. I think slowly and with time his offers will decline. People said he already has movies in pipeline, one movie already gone.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Apple is in the most unfortunate position because their film, Emancipation, has already been shot and is in post-production. It was expected to be an Oscar contender next year. The Netflix project was not actually filming yet so it was easier for them to pump the breaks on that one.

I would not consider myself to be a Will Smith fan. His only movie that I really love is the first Men in Black. I don't dislike him, but generally speaking, he tends to choose projects that aren't of interest to me. As longtime members of the board may remember, I was very excited for Aladdin because it was a remake of my favorite movie of all time. But in the end, I didn't like it. No shade too those who did. It was not for me.

That being said, even as a non-fan, I'm a little sad about this situation for Smith. He did a bad thing. He should deal with the consequences. But by all accounts, this was a first offense on his part. I've never heard of anybody saying that he had a temper or was difficult to work with or did anything like this before. So, yes, he should have to deal with what he did, and I don't want to sound like I am in any way excusing his behavior. But it would be a shame if his whole career was derailed for the rest of his life over this one thing. People make mistakes. People have the capacity to learn, grow and change.

But acting is a profession where you are facing the public and you need the public to like you and want to support your projects. Will Smith has done a very good job of maintaining a likable presence with the audience at large prior to Sunday night. The big question is whether audiences will still want to support his projects after this. If they do, he'll find his way back. If not, that would be a very serious problem for him.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Don’t know what to tell you. It does for me.

Watch.

GaGa

See?:D

My point is that maybe you specifically wrote "GaGa" over time and the phone picked up on that.

I'm betting I type "Gaga" more than you and it's never tried to correct that to "GaGa"! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not sure about that.

Maybe he's got a thing about small comedians.

His role was cut in the film so he doesn't have any axe to grind against Smith. Listen due to this AA incident, every single person Smith crossed in life will be coming out of the woodwork with their story about how terrible a person Smith was to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
autismcoe
Recent bookmarks