What's new

***Official LOTR: The Two Towers DVD Discussion Thread*** -- All Posts Here; NO EXCEPTIONS (1 Viewer)

Paul W

Second Unit
Yeah!

Orthanc and Barad Dur bookends would have been nice for those of us whose bookcases have more than one shelf.

:D

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
That's what I thought they were going to give us when the FOTR set came out last year...duh it's obvious, 2 Towers, perfect as bookends. Ya just never know... Gollum is cool, but:

A) As others have pointed out, he's taking a dump.

B) He's a painted statue, differing completely in style from the FOTR figures.

It would have been nice to have all of the figures look like they were done by the same artist in the same style, so they can be displayed as a set. Oh well...

-Dennis

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, I am not particularly fond of that Gollum statue. I still will probably get the statue set, but only for the "Creating Gollum" DVD. I agree that bookends of Orthanc and Barad-dur would have been ideal.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'd prefer Orthanc and Barad-dur as well. Even if they weren't bookends, they would be great as just statues.

As is, my itty-bitty wallet can only afford the standard EE at this time.

ChrisKe

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have a link to the details of what's on the Gollum disk of the Gift set. I had a quick look on lordoftherings.net but they only mention the creation of the statue and some interviews with cast and crew.

I didn't see Gandalf's (Ian McKellen) Commentary either in that list. Why would they have Denethor commentary when he didn't even make it into the Theatrical Cut? I mean what is he going to offer?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
McKellen's absence is odd. Perhaps he had a scheduling confict?

Of course, missing from BOTH the FotR & TTT EE commentaries is Viggo Mortenson. I'd LOVE to have heard what he had to say about kicking that helmet that broke his toe!

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
Several things:

First:

For those at the beginning of the thread debating about the Balrog's having wings, it is quite clear in the book that the Balrog was followed by wispy smoke trails that "seemed" to form the shape of wings yet one could not be quite sure, just as one can not be quite sure if the balrog is formed of rock or pure shadow. The only liberty PJ and Taylor took was making the balrog into a cross between a bull and a dog, I believe that the balrog was envisioned by tolkien to be more humanoid in nature. So in that case, i think that the films portrayal is quite faithful to the book. If you press me i'll get off my lazy behind and find the page # and quote the book.

Second:

could someone plz tell me if the two extra features on the special edition Nat'l Geographic video contained in the EE boxed set of FOTR were any good, and worth buying the set? I was considering buying a second copy, possibly in R1 or R4 so I can see the extra detail.

Third:

I'm guessing that the reason why a horizontal filter was applied to the Two Towers and FOTR theatrical releases is b/c they had to fit a nearly 3 hour film on one disc. Would this be an accurate assumption?

Fourth:

Was there an Academy Screener of FOTR, and if so, was it also free of the horizontal filtering?

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Hello dude,

First,

"AAAAAAAAAOOUUUUCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!"

Sixth,

I dont know but I always thought they will give us the Two Towers bookends. I was going to buy the Agonads bookends if they really made the TT bookends. Gollum just looks soo ugly. I dont want to have nightmare.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

From what I've seen of him in a couple interviews, he doesn't seem very happy with the films. So he may have declined to participate.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't recall exactly; I think they were TV interviews. But his statements seemed to indicate he felt that Peter Jackson sacrificed drama for action in the editing room. I distinctly remember him saying in one interview that the movie he saw in the theater was very different from the movie he thought he was making on the set, and he didn't seem very happy about it.

Who knows, maybe he was just having a bad day or was sick of talking about the films all the time.

Graham Perks

Second Unit
The National Geographic disk was OK, but you're not really missing much without it. Ther's a lot of overlap between that and the regular two extra discs.

The Gollum statue looks naff. Bookends would have been FAR better. I think I'll be skipping the 5-disc super pack this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks