What's new

***Official LOTR: The Two Towers DVD Discussion Thread*** -- All Posts Here; NO EXCEPTIONS (1 Viewer)

Thomas Smailus

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I'm sure they did - but I the scene I pointed out was the first one he is mentioned in. Its not 'necessary' but beneficial to read the books as there is a lot that is not in the film.

I guess thats what I get for not memorizing the film... ;-)

MikeHughes

Agent
Some of you mentioned that a price of 55-60$ may be too much. Count yourselves among the lucky ones. German customers will have to pay prices as high as 100€ :eek:, which is about 115$. Thanks to the blokes over at Warner Germany, who thought that people who were willing to pay as much for the first box at ebay(The first box was limited and sold out within a few weeks, ebay prices literally exploded) wouldn't get too agitated about it. I ordered the US-Box at amazon.com. Warner Germany won't see a damn cent of it. :wink:

Christian P

Stunt Coordinator
That's good to know that there is overlap, but I was asking if the Nat'l Geographic contained in FOTR:EE is any better than the Nat'l Geographic DVD you can buy separately. The packaging says it has 2 extra features over the regular retail verison.
I believed it to be the other way around. I sold my gift set NG, when the "special edition" came out:

Compare

and

Notice the yellow banner below stating "Special Edition: Featuring two never-before seen featurettes and a photo gallery".
I bought it at DVDBoxOffice, but they show the old cover on their webpage. Better check before you order.

The stuff not on the original I believe is:
- "The Inklings" - About Tolkien's "Oxford literary club"
- "The Language & Landscape of Middle-Earth" - Some origins of place names etc. but nothing too deep.
- Photo "gallery" - 6 (!) generic pics from the film

Regarding TTT: After having seen the Gollum statue (thanks Patrick!), I'll go with the regular EE as well.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The special edition is what came in the gift set. They may have released it seperately later. I don't know.

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
Thank you VERY much, Christian and Dan! I will keep a look out for the NG DVD with the yellow dome at the bottom! If i cannot find it, I'm going to purchase the special edition set. I"ll have an extra copy of the EE, but oh well, I'm a completist with a bit of OCD, and anyway I think everyone who worked on the films deserves a little more money. Plus, we need to support DVD releases this good :)

BobH

Stunt Coordinator
I just tried to read "The Inklings", the story of the group of writers that gathered as friends occaisionally including Tolkien and CS Lewis.

I have to say that their lives were so boring they had lots of time to write! They only taught a handfull of students, one-on-one for 2-4 hours per week. If they maintained friendships with their colleagues, they had a lifetime job at Oxford. What a deal. It explains the depth Tolkien was able to put into his world.

StevenA

Second Unit
I have to say that their lives were so boring they had lots of time to write! They only taught a handfull of students, one-on-one for 2-4 hours per week. If they maintained friendships with their colleagues, they had a lifetime job at Oxford. What a deal. It explains the depth Tolkien was able to put into his world.
Right. Any one of us could come up with The Lord of the Rings no sweat if we had some time off and a steady paycheck. ;)

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
It really does seem like a Macrovision problem...virtually everyone with an HTPC do not see the red flicker, and it seems exceedingly rare on recent digital projectors.
Regarding the red flicker:

I recently watched the movie again, under the same lighting conditions as when I first saw the red flicker. [FYI: If you see the red flicker, it will be most visible during the scene with Merry and Pippin in the Uruk camp and during the Helm's Deep battle.] I saw a little bit of the flicker again in the Uruk camp scene, but no red flicker in the Helm's Deep scene.

Here is what was different when watching the movie this time--we took a snack break shortly before the big Helm's Deep battle scenes began. The lights were turned on, etc.

I am now convinced that the theory of the red flicker being caused by optical phenomena from the viewer's perspective to be the explanation. Look at some of the earlier posts (most likely on pages 10-16) in this thread for more information on this.

Here is an experiment to try--if you observe the red flicker, try pausing the movie, turn on the lights in the room and take a 5 minute break. Then return the lights back to the way they were and resume the movie. I'm quite certain you will no longer see the red flicker!

For those watching on an HTPC, try watching the entire movie in one sitting in a very dark room and see if you observe the flicker.

Just more of my $.02 worth.

Bruce

BobH

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, StevenA, as long as we had Tolkien's literate genius. On the other hand he is not listed in Harold Bloom's "Genius" as one of the 100 great literary geniuses of all time. I'm going to email him about that omission.

BobH

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody heard when the ROTK EE is coming out? Will they skip the theatrical version and just get to the real deal? We shouldn't have to wait until November should we?

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator
Yes - we will have to wait until November. There will be both versions of ROTK as well.

(And why they heck should there not be?)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
from www.r2-dvd.org

the first of what will be many certifications from the BBFC

"LORD OF THE RINGS - THE TWO TOWERS - SPECIAL EXTENDED EDITION - STUNTS" 20m 57s
"LORD OF THE RINGS - THE TWO TOWERS - SPECIAL EXTENDED EDITION - INTRO" 2m 52s
00:01:48:02 | Peter Jackson - Director/Writer/Producer 00:01:04:10 | Elijah Wood - Frodo
"LORD OF THE RINGS - THE TWO TOWERS - SPECIAL EXTENDED EDITION - DIGITAL" 27m 30s
"LORD OF THE RINGS - THE TWO TOWERS - SPECIAL EXTENDED EDITION - CLOSING" 9m 25s
"LORD OF THE RINGS - THE TWO TOWERS - SPECIAL EXTENDED EDITION - EDITORIAL" 21m 57s
"LORD OF THE RINGS - THE TWO TOWERS - SPECIAL EXTENDED EDITION - FILMING" 68m 11s

BobH

Stunt Coordinator
Lars; is this date confirmed? It seems likely to me that since there is no next LOTR movie to be made the EE could be done sooner. Of course there is King Kong . . .

I have no interest in watching the theatrical version of FOTR anymore. That will be even more true of TTT. There is no question that Jackson had the EE in mind for himself and the theatrical versions are edited for commercial reasons. There was so much left out of TTT that the EE should be overwhelmingly better as well. I can just imagine the ROTK versions being likewise.

I agree there is always the argument that the theatrical version is the "real" version and may have the better pacing, but not in this case.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Lars; is this date confirmed? It seems likely to me that since there is no next LOTR movie to be made the EE could be done sooner. Of course there is King Kong . . .
There is also the fact that the effects work would still need to be done for any EE of RotK. While there won't be another LotR film, WETA probably has plenty to work on. (Including that live action Evangelion movie, if everything that has been said is true...)

Jason

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
These release dates probably have as much (or more) to do with marketing concerns than how long it takes to finish the EE. Bringing out the EE (and its accompanying Gift Set) in late November is perfect timing for the gift-giving season.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
The real question is--will this theatrical version BE the EE? Why would he craft an "extended edition" if the 3 1/2 hour movie he's releasing to theaters IS what he wants?

I think there's a strong possibility that Return of the King won't HAVE an "extended edition" because Jackson will be allowed, by New Line, to put in everything he wants into the theatrical version.

The other possibility is that we'll get a 4 hour version of the movie on DVD later.

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator
Sigh... There will be an extended edition. (and a theatrical)
- PJ still does not have an unlimited runtime to play with for the theatrical release.
- The extras on the extended editions are meant to tie into each other, building on the previous movie extras.
- With both EE and TE's of FOTR and TTT released, why in the world wouldn't NL release equivalent ROTK releases? After all, there won't be a deluxe DVD trilogy release - the EE's are it, for the forseeable future.
- The dual release strategy makes tons of $$$ for NL, why would they stop that?

The other possibility is that we'll get a 4 hour version of the movie on DVD later.
Bingo.

People, it will happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks